RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

So the Mooncrash DLC isn't story, but a challenge mode of sorts?  Hmmm, disappointing.  

From what I've heard it's a more of a roguelike and there's a bit a subtle story too.

On 10/02/2019 at 22:49, Thor said:

So the Mooncrash DLC isn't story, but a challenge mode of sorts?  Hmmm, disappointing. 

More of a roguelike as said above. This vid explains it quite well.

Finally started Mooncrash and it's surprisingly hard! :o

Died with my first character but finished the run on my second attempt. Made it super far with the second character (where you have to find a person that has the pilot neuromod) but it took me ages and as such I was on Corruption level 3. Despite the Technopaths and electric Typhons roaming around (which almost made it impossible) I managed to nearly reach the end but unfortunately I died to a silly exploding mimic. Curses!

But man does it feel good to be playing this again. Even forgot to make dinner as I just couldn't tear myself away from the screen! Backlog gaming is the best with gems like these. :)

• Upvote 3

18hrs in with this now and I think I've hit a brickwall with it and I'm being punished for making the wrong choices when it comes to Neuromod upgrades. Being assaulted by military class robots all over, which are bitch to take down with my load-out, taking down a couple of them clears me out of ammo, and there are always more than two of them.

Was really enjoying it up until now, but I think I'm done with it. Bought it in the last Steam sale for £15, so I've more than had my money's worth but my backlog of games is still huge, so time to move on.

• Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, MpM said:

18hrs in with this now and I think I've hit a brickwall with it and I'm being punished for making the wrong choices when it comes to Neuromod upgrades. Being assaulted by military class robots all over, which are bitch to take down with my load-out, taking down a couple of them clears me out of ammo, and there are always more than two of them.

Was really enjoying it up until now, but I think I'm done with it. Bought it in the last Steam sale for £15, so I've more than had my money's worth but my backlog of games is still huge, so time to move on.

Is that vanilla Prey or Mooncrash? 

There are loads of ways to temporarily thin out robots without using ammo .....

Even if you didn't go with hacking etc you ought to have super-duper strength to compensate.....

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Is that vanilla Prey or Mooncrash? 

Vanilla, haven't even looked at Mooncrash yet.

39 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

There are loads of ways to temporarily thin out robots without using ammo .....

Even if you didn't go with hacking etc you ought to have super-duper strength to compensate.....

My upgrade path seems to be a case of 'mile wide, inch deep'  so not really strong enough in anything really.

I am loving this. Mooncrash is possibly the best DLC I've played since the original Dishonored story expansions (coincidentally also by Arkane Studios!).

GndvCRt.jpg

Just did this two hour run with the scientist lady (the one who spawns turrets) and explored so much! I accidentally initiated a side-objective which apparently led to another escape route (via the supply container) but am I correct in assuming I should go for another run with the same character? Basically continue until I've escaped with that person 5 different ways? Or should I pick a different, unlocked, character now? 

• Upvote 1

Woops, just watched that SkillUp review of Mooncrash again and apparently I'm meant to leave certain items in something called a "Mule" for other characters. I stocked up on so much stuff including blue and even gold weapons, which are now lost unless I can find the fabrication plans, I guess. Maybe I should just focus on unlocking all characters for now and then try and do 'the' run where you're supposed to get all 5 out using different methods of escape. 

7 hours ago, MpM said:

Vanilla, haven't even looked at Mooncrash yet.

My upgrade path seems to be a case of 'mile wide, inch deep'  so not really strong enough in anything really.

I found running past turrets worked well.

10 hours into Mooncrash and I'm done with it. I never came close to completing all of the story objectives with the characters, let alone to escape with all 5 in one run. It started off real strong but I ended up finding it quite tedious, frustrating, confusing and repetitive. It's a terrific concept but I just don't have the patience to get fully invested now and to plan 5 runs ahead. I've uninstalled it as I've seen everything it has to offer anyway.

It's not bad by any means and I definitely do not regret my purchase but I'd rather spend my time on something else now.

9 minutes ago, VN1X said:

10 hours into Mooncrash and I'm done with it. I never came close to completing all of the story objectives with the characters, let alone to escape with all 5 in one run. It started off real strong but I ended up finding it quite tedious, frustrating, confusing and repetitive. It's a terrific concept but I just don't have the patience to get fully invested now and to plan 5 runs ahead. I've uninstalled it as I've seen everything it has to offer anyway.

It's not bad by any means and I definitely do not regret my purchase but I'd rather spend my time on something else now.

Rogue-lites all over. They start great then get hit a point when they become stale very quick. Except Spelunky, obviously.

• Upvote 1

Just started playing this (the base game).  I love the premise and the atmosphere (I've just started exploring the main lobby), but finding it extremely hard.  It seems like a random game of chance dealing with these mimics, they just fly around all over the place.  And those big bastard Phantoms are annoying, there's a section I've got too where there are two of them.  The first one I encountered was taken down with a turret so I think I need to slow down and not charge around exploring.  

• Upvote 3

It can be a bit crazy at the start but like you say, slow down, explore everywhere (there is nearly always another route(s)), level up a few neuromods to make life easier and just take your time. Avoid the nasties if needs be as sometimes it is the only and/or sensible choice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Just started playing this (the base game).  I love the premise and the atmosphere (I've just started exploring the main lobby), but finding it extremely hard.  It seems like a random game of chance dealing with these mimics, they just fly around all over the place.  And those big bastard Phantoms are annoying, there's a section I've got too where there are two of them.  The first one I encountered was taken down with a turret so I think I need to slow down and not charge around exploring.  

Generally I hate adjusting the difficulty in games but I had to on this. Although I loved the setting, story and exploration the enemies were annoying and cheaty.

I'd advise turning the difficulty down a notch and enjoy the ride. It's so much fun! Plus even on a lower difficulty it's still quite tough. And this is from someone who had to put the difficulty up on God of War.

6 hours ago, davejm said:

GLOO Gun is a good way of freezing Mimics in their tracks so you can hit them with the wrench. Hacking turrets and taking them with you (or luring enemies towards them) is another good way of dealing with them. That and the combo of slowing down time (Combat Focus iirc) and using the shotgun.

• Upvote 2

Picked this up the other night (only £4.99 on cdkeys at the moment) and really enjoyed the opening, should get some more time on it over the weekend.

Mooncrash sounds really great, is it recommended to finish the main game first?

12 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Picked this up the other night (only £4.99 on cdkeys at the moment) and really enjoyed the opening, should get some more time on it over the weekend.

Mooncrash sounds really great, is it recommended to finish the main game first?

Definitely.

Started it last night and while the actual gameplay is still and unknown quantity the story appeals to me a lot. 

Also you reeeeeeally can tell it's made by the same people as Dishonored. Not a bad thing, mind.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips. I left the two phantoms alone for a bit, found some more neuromods, invested in turret repair, then paid them another visit and took them out with a couple of the turrets in the lobby.  Was satisfying.  I did need to finish one of them off with a shotgun blast.  Getting to grips with it now.

• Upvote 1

I am guessing you were up against the two phantoms in the medical room near Morgan's office. It's a big stumbling point for a lot of people but you don't actually have to go in there and its a place you can return to later in the game when you are more powerful. I think they put the phantoms there to show you that there are some areas that are very tough and you can come back to. But many players like you and me try to get past the phantoms as it seems like an obvious place to progress the game, and then get worried the game is going to be way too hard. Personally I think it was a bit of a design misstep especially as its not very clear where to go in the lobby.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Started it last night and while the actual gameplay is still and unknown quantity the story appeals to me a lot. 

Also you reeeeeeally can tell it's made by the same people as Dishonored. Not a bad thing, mind.

Agreed , the story, aesthetic and atmosphere are fantastic and really appealed to me.

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I am guessing you were up against the two phantoms in the medical room near Morgan's office. It's a big stumbling point for a lot of people but you don't actually have to go in there and its a place you can return to later in the game when you are more powerful. I think they put the phantoms there to show you that there are some areas that are very tough and you can come back to. But many players like you and me try to get past the phantoms as it seems like an obvious place to progress the game, and then get worried the game is going to be way too hard. Personally I think it was a bit of a design misstep especially as its not very clear where to go in the lobby.

There's a very easy way to deal with them right there in the room but I don't think you get the research headset thingy until later, so perhaps don't realise.