rllmuk
Goose

Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

Just finished and while it didn’t quite hit the consistent quality of previous seasons it probably has a few of the best individual moments across the entire show so far.

Wonderful nods to that period, the kids again are superb and Hopper is a fucking legend! Roll on season 4 and whatever madness that brings.

• Upvote 1

The ending: 

Is it a gulag? For some reason I saw it as the Russians and Hopper somehow escaping into the upside down and having a base there. Probably vollocks, but slightly more believable than somehow getting to the USSR.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The ending: 

Hide contents

Is it a gulag? For some reason I saw it as the Russians and Hopper somehow escaping into the upside down and having a base there. Probably vollocks, but slightly more believable than somehow getting to the USSR.

:huh: I'm starting to understand why all sorts of mad shit happens to you. ;)

8 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The ending: 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It’s a Russian base in Kamchatka, in the far east of Russia. Kamchatka is a real place.

Just finished episode 4 and it’s ramping up nicely. One thing I do wonder though is whether any of the kids parents wonder where they are or even worry about them. Some pretty bad parenting going on after some of the shit that’s happened in Hawkins over the last few years!

• Upvote 1

There may be free ice cream available in London tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to watch this season but I'm always up for being the beneficiary of marketing budgets:

• Upvote 1

Yeah I finished episode 4 this evening and after a really quite boring first episode it seems like the season has hit its stride. The ending of episode 4 was really effective.

The main thing that bugs me is how slow some of these characters are to believe their friends/family/partners that maybe, just maybe, something odd might be happening in the same town where incredibly odd and dangerous things have happened literally twice before and they have no real way of knowing it's been contained since then. It's quite tiresome and doesnt ring plausible watching characters casually dismiss others as crazy given everything they've all been through. Luckily I think I'm pretty much past that stage in this season now.

• Upvote 3

Just finished.

Utterly. Fucking. Brilliant.

So much to love, and so much great character work.

Spoiler

Like Steve & Robin, Alexei & Murray, Erica & Dustin. Even Billy was amazing.

Personal highlight was the amazing Philip Glass scene at the end of Ep6 - magical, spine-chilling TV.

Roll-on S4.

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It’s a Russian base in Kamchatka, in the far east of Russia. Kamchatka is a real place.

Does that necessarily mean it’s not the upside down? Doesn’t the real world have a negative version in the upside down? Fuck knows how they would get there though. But it’s likely the ending is trying to mislead people so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was taking place in the upside down.[\spoiler]

Just finished the series now. Really thought this was a great return to form, after a pretty lacklustre season 2.

I was 100% on board for the whole thing, pretty much. 

• Upvote 7

Finished this the other night. I thought the pace was relentless, but in a good way. Very little flab in the story telling, just a lot of flab around Hopper's middle. :lol:

Spoiler

I think the way it was structured with basically four groups doing their own thing -- Hopper and Joyce, the ice cream gang, Eleven and the original gang, and Nancy and Jonathon -- meant that if one part of the story was wearing thin, they had three other options to turn to to keep things interesting. And I wanted to keep watching to see how all these plot strands involving Russians and the mind flayer would eventually dovetail with everyone meeting up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Just finished.

Utterly. Fucking. Brilliant.

So much to love, and so much great character work.

Hide contents

Like Steve & Robin, Alexei & Murray, Erica & Dustin. Even Billy was amazing.

Personal highlight was the amazing Philip Glass scene at the end of Ep6 - magical, spine-chilling TV.

Roll-on S4.

I was thinking that was a Glass piece. Very well used.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I was thinking that was a Glass piece. Very well used.

It’s an immense track. They also used it in one of the S3 trailers.

Glass’s opera Satyagraha is inspired by Ghandi’s life and named after the practice of passively enduring suffering for some greater truth, which is wonderfully apt (and no doubt not a coincidence) in the context of the scene this music scores.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Hide contents

Does that necessarily mean it’s not the upside down? Doesn’t the real world have a negative version in the upside down? Fuck knows how they would get there though. But it’s likely the ending is trying to mislead people so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was taking place in the upside down.[\spoiler]

Spoiler

No, it was just plain old night. There was nothing odd about it. Also, remember the Russians were having great trouble trying to open a gate, hence them going to the trouble of building a secret base in Hawkins. Them building their own base on the other side wouldn't have happened.

• Upvote 1

Four episodes down. Enjoying this much more than the last season, though that might just be the summery vibes and more colourful garb.

Also learned that Vera Lynn is still alive. Blimey.

I just think it's better paced than last time, which felt really strung out, despite only being one episode longer. Or maybe too much of a retread, with Will being attacked and the rest of them running around. By the time it got to the urban punks gang, I was done last time around.

This season, with its actually separate strands, with its amazing Steve/Robin/Dustin portions, and so on, feels a bit more zippy.

• Upvote 2

Stuff I liked:

Spoiler

Steve and Robin, as mentioned. I like how Steve has done a complete 180 from his initial douche days now, and is properly a good guy. And the four of them exploring the Russian silo, whilst it made no sense, was brilliant - especially once Steve and Robin were high. Erica's disbelief that Lucas might be doing exciting stuff she doesn't know about, and that she was a nerd herself, was fun.

The Suzy reveal, whilst bordering on too twee, was ace. And the singalong (again requiring high levels of suspension of disbelief) was fun.

Alexei and Murray were a great duo.

Hopper spent a little too long as a butthurt nice guy after Joyce stood him up for my liking.

I really liked that Billy got a moment of redemption at the end. I liked that Karen didn't bang him in the end.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Majora said:

Yeah I finished episode 4 this evening and after a really quite boring first episode it seems like the season has hit its stride. The ending of episode 4 was really effective.

The main thing that bugs me is how slow some of these characters are to believe their friends/family/partners that maybe, just maybe, something odd might be happening in the same town where incredibly odd and dangerous things have happened literally twice before and they have no real way of knowing it's been contained since then. It's quite tiresome and doesnt ring plausible watching characters casually dismiss others as crazy given everything they've all been through. Luckily I think I'm pretty much past that stage in this season now.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't understand why Hopper was so sceptical when Joyce was telling him about the magnets failing. 

My take on the ending..

I don't think

it's Hopper in the Russian prison. I reckon the American is Dr. Brenner. Hopper jumped through the rift before it closed and is now stuck in the Upside Down. 11 has lost her powers so having Brenner around to re-train her would make sense in season 4. Without her powers she cannot locate Hopper.

All in all I really enjoyed season 3, especially as I rationed it to 2 episodes a day. 'm guessing we will have to wait until Christmas 2020 for the new one though.

• Upvote 7

We'll see, I guess. I don't imagine the writers know yet. Your theory certainly holds some sense

Spoiler

Without someone like Brenner, how do they even have one of the demogorgons?

And, whilst I also assume Hopper is alive and jumped into the Upside Down, that certainly isn't a given that they somehow extracted him to Russia given their apparent inability to open a gate outside of Hawkins.

2 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

My take on the ending..

I don't think

Reveal hidden contents

it's Hopper in the Russian prison. I reckon the American is Dr. Brenner. Hopper jumped through the rift before it closed and is now stuck in the Upside Down. 11 has lost her powers so having Brenner around to re-train her would make sense in season 4. Without her powers she cannot locate Hopper.

All in all I really enjoyed season 3, especially as I rationed it to 2 episodes a day. 'm guessing we will have to wait until Christmas 2020 for the new one though.

See i thought the same as you.

Spoiler

After the "he's alive" drop in the previous season i thought we would see him this time round but no dice. 

However there's a couple of really good theories out there at it could in fact be Bob!

Really enjoyed that. Having been almost the same age as the primary characters during the 80s and growing up on a steady diet of American movies and pop-culture always helps these things, but it was just great entertainment anyway.

There were loads of references obviously, but it was the Die Hard paraphrase that jumped out at me in, I think, episode 5.

Spoiler

When Hopper has his gun on the Russian's head and threatens to shoot, the Russian responds with something like  "You won't shoot. You're a policeman. Policemen have rules" which as very similar to what Tony says to McLane in Die Hard.

Also; I wonder what

Spoiler

forensics would have made of the remains of the Mind Flayer in the mall???

On 09/07/2019 at 06:02, Radish said:

The Mind Flayer is science fiction/fantasy, the Russians are based on reality. Different rules apply (and the best sci fi/fantasy also follow logic and realism). It didn't bother me though.

Hmm. But the Russians are also using a LAZERRRR to bore a hole into a realm of nightmares and darkness, so that’s not strictly true. The infinitely deep elevator shaft was kind of played for laughs, or like the story takes place from the mind’s eye of a child (season 1 was basically a game of D&D transposed into real life) so we can probably allow them some comedic, artistic, or meta license or something in this case. 

Besides, if they had the contract to build the mall from scratch then it might be possible - maybe they built it at the bottom of an old mine shaft. Maybe they heard Lassie barking down there and exploited the opportunity. 

I liked that Billy was wearing

Spoiler

his Jack Burton costume at the end, and I loved the Evil Dead 2 vibes from the shack.  I actually watched ED2 immediately after finishing the last episode.

Thoroughly enjoyed that after finding season 2 disappointing.

Is it just me or is Hopper a horrible person? Like super controlling, immature, jealous, threatening etc. It was very similar in season 2. Yet by the end of the seasons I think you're supposed to be on his side and be rooting for him? That's the intention I think but for me it never works as he's done too much damage leading up to that point.

• Upvote 2