rllmuk
Goose

Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

Watched ep one last night. Maybe I’m easily pleased with certain things but found it enjoyably simple, like sinking into a relaxing hammock and just rocking on the breeze. Having a likable cast helps, and obviously the Americana/80s nostalgia is a big part of the enjoyment; I’m a sucker for both.

That said, do agree with comments about having a different supernatural theme each season. The wonderful Eerie, Indiana managed a similar approach per episode, and think Stranger Things could have been a truly great show, rather than a very good one, with an anthology-style approach.

• Upvote 2

It's the quality of characters in TV shows to be reduced down to charicatures or otherwise much-simplified versions of their original characterisation.

As in: in the first few seasons of the Simpsons, Ned Flanders was a relatively normal guy who lived next door, but over time was changed/reduced down to a simplified charicature / pastiche of a religious conservative.

The romance subplots seem to have been written by a computer. It's the most generic, mundane bullshit you'll ever see: one couple "break up" because one person withholds a secret for some reason, even though it could easily be explained and understood. Another couple treat each other like shit because they secretly love each other, so even though they act like horrible, nasty people to each other it's actually done out of lust and totally not because they're just horrible, nasty people. There's nothing imaginative or well written about this anymore. It's pretty sad how much the characters have regressed over the seasons and any hint of subtlety has gone out of the window.

I hadn't heard of the term Flanderization before but it absolutely fits here. It's happened to almost everyone (Steve and Robin are great).

The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic.

Oh, and the Coke product placement is pretty annoying too. There's a bit in Episode 7 I think where they literally spend a couple of minutes holding up a can of Coke to the camera and explaining why New Coke is good.

I watched Season 3 over the weekend (Eps1-7 Saturday, E8 on Sunday), and enjoyed it, and I equally enjoyed the previous to seasons which I watched over a weekend last year.

Looking forward to S4

Who is the American in the gulag?! Hopper?

19 minutes ago, Radish said:

The romance subplots seem to have been written by a computer. It's the most generic, mundane bullshit you'll ever see: one couple "break up" because one person withholds a secret for some reason, even though it could easily be explained and understood. Another couple treat each other like shit because they secretly love each other, so even though they act like horrible, nasty people to each other it's actually done out of lust and totally not because they're just horrible, nasty people. There's nothing imaginative or well written about this anymore. It's pretty sad how much the characters have regressed over the seasons and any hint of subtlety has gone out of the window.

I hadn't heard of the term Flanderization before but it absolutely fits here. It's happened to almost everyone (Steve and Robin are great).

Oh, and the Coke product placement is pretty annoying too. There's a bit in Episode 7 I think where they literally spend a couple of minutes holding up a can of Coke to the camera and explaining why New Coke is good.

Right but 1. Lying to someone in a relationship is a huge misstep and these kids aren’t developed enough to communicate properly. Part of their development involves learning how to do that. 

2. Joyce and Hopper are actually incredibly sweet, caring people who also happen to be bitter, scared, angry, stubborn, and volatile. 

3. New Coke was an Extremely Big Deal when it happened (so I hear - I was minus 8 in 1982) and this seems to be a pretty hilarious satire of that whole argument. I hear you, but it doesn’t bother me. 

I laughed out loud at the person earlier who was complaining that the Russians would never have been able to build that base undetected. So that ruins the verisimilitude for you, but the psychic monster made out of reconstituted Indianans is A-OK? :lol:

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

Looking forward to S4

Hide contents

Who is the American in the gulag?! Hopper?

I fucking hope so.

Spoiler

1. They call them The American, which is how they'd been referring to him throughout.

2. We didn't see him die.

3. He had a chance to get through the gateway before she turned the keys.

So, is there definitely going to be another season? I know 4 was the original plan, but I was sure I'd seen stuff in the lead-up to S3 (around the time the trailer came out) saying this would be the last.

Oh, and one more thing: Every time El uses her powers we have the visual cue of her nose bleeding in exactly the same way. This has already been established and I kind of groan every time they focus on it because it feels like lowest common denominator hand-holding and brute-forcing it into an iconic meme or trope or whatever. It would be satisfying progression if they toned it down, to signify her powers strengthening and maturing.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Oh, and one more thing: Every time El uses her powers we have the visual cue of her nose bleeding in exactly the same way. This has already been established and I kind of groan every time they focus on it because it feels like lowest common denominator hand-holding and brute-forcing it into an iconic meme or trope or whatever. It would be satisfying progression if they toned it down, to signify her powers strengthening and maturing.

Not as bad as yer lad touching the back of his neck. I thought they were building to something there with his connection.

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

At the halfway point and it’s kinda the worst of the 3 seasons so far.

There’s no peril, the cast is too big, the mall falls the wrong side of silly pastiche, and as others have said the flanderisation is strong.

It needs to kill off some characters I think. Billy, Will, Jonathon, Winona. I guess there’s still time.

Surely it can't be worse than Season 2?

We've just watched episode 5. It's alright so far. It does have an odd feel though. Season 1 perfectly captured that feeling of an 80s movie filmed with modern cameras, this seems different, like it's a 2019 TV series but using 80s costumes/sets (which it is but it's more obvious)

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Right but 1. Lying to someone in a relationship is a huge misstep and these kids aren’t developed enough to communicate properly. Part of their development involves learning how to do that. 

2. Joyce and Hopper are actually incredibly sweet, caring people who also happen to be bitter, scared, angry, stubborn, and volatile. 

3. New Coke was an Extremely Big Deal when it happened (so I hear - I was minus 8 in 1982) and this seems to be a pretty hilarious satire of that whole argument. I hear you, but it doesn’t bother me.

Right, but 1. I see what you mean, but I still have two problems with that: it's a huge cliche that occurs all the time (one character hides the truth from another for iffy reasons just for plot), and they shouldn't have dragged it out over the entire season because it's tedious.

2. Hopper, the incredibly sweet, but hyper aggressive person that threatens violence the child to the point he's too scared to tell the truth to someone he loves? They were sweet and caring in earlier seasons, sure, but demonstrated absolutely none of those traits in Season 3 (bar Joyce in Episode 1). That's my point: some of the personality traits they previously had (bitter, scared, angry, stubborn, volatile) have been exaggerated so far that they are now the only part of that character. Joyce started off pretty well but beyond the first episode or two, any interaction between her and Hopper turned into a shouting match (and they both shout at people many times throughout the season to get what they want). They've both become intensely unlikeable.

3. Coke have released New Coke again, so Lucas looking at the camera for a couple of minutes explaining why it's so good is literally an advert.

I laughed out loud at the person earlier who was complaining that the Russians would never have been able to build that base undetected. So that ruins the verisimilitude for you, but the psychic monster made out of reconstituted Indianans is A-OK? :lol:

The Mind Flayer is science fiction/fantasy, the Russians are based on reality. Different rules apply (and the best sci fi/fantasy also follow logic and realism). It didn't bother me though.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No.

Ah. here's where I had it confused - "The controversial New Coke, introduced in 1985, used a version of the Diet Coke recipe that contained high fructose corn syrup and had a slightly different balance of ingredients. "

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Ah. here's where I had it confused - "The controversial New Coke, introduced in 1985, used a version of the Diet Coke recipe that contained high fructose corn syrup and had a slightly different balance of ingredients. "

All I remember is it tasting godawful.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2019-05-21/new-coke-from-1985-makes-comeback-with-stranger-things

cannot imagine many cans made it over here, and that's a good thing.

Loved this season. Possibly my favourite. They nailed the body horror, schlock monsters and Evil Dead vibe. All wrapped up in an ongoing Goonies saga with loveable kids, although some of the boys were looking rather old to be wearing the shorts they were stuffed into. The references were a bit more niche I thought, which made them all the more satisfying.

The 

Spoiler

Never ending story

Outburst had me punching the sky like a Young over excited Tom Cruise.

Stranger Things 4:

Spoiler

The Search For Hopper

Can’t come soon enough.

In the meantime I’m well up for re-watching the first three seasons.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

The 

Reveal hidden contents

Never ending story

Outburst had me punching the sky like a Young over excited Tom Cruise.

That had me in stitches when I watched it. :)

The first is still my favourite season though. 

On 08/07/2019 at 12:15, RFT said:

It's the quality of characters in TV shows to be reduced down to charicatures or otherwise much-simplified versions of their original characterisation.

As in: in the first few seasons of the Simpsons, Ned Flanders was a relatively normal guy who lived next door, but over time was changed/reduced down to a simplified charicature / pastiche of a religious conservative.

I never knew it was called Flanderisation, but the one that has always stuck with me is Marcus Brody. In Raiders he was this ultra cool, wise old dude, who would have been on those adventures with Indy had he been 20 years younger, but by Last Crusade was a bumbling idiot of a man. I’ve no idea why they did that with his character, as it totally ruined him. This was way before The Simpsons as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

10 hours ago, JPL said:

I never knew it was called Flanderisation, but the one that has always stuck with me is Marcus Brody. In Raiders he was this ultra cool, wise old dude, who would have been on those adventures with Indy had he been 20 years younger, but by Last Crusade was a bumbling idiot of a man. I’ve no idea why they did that with his character, as it totally ruined him.

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks this - I’ve said it a lot in the Indy threads.

For S4, love the idea of it being set away from the town and the gang going in search of Hopper, but I’m not sure how they’d pull off a ‘college field-trip’ to a gulag.

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks this - I’ve said it a lot in the Indy threads.

<potential spoiler>

I hope that’s not a whole big spoiler there!