rllmuk
Goose

Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

21 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Man alive Thor, turn it down eh, no need for that level of response at all, we're discussing a TV show not deciding which wire to cut!

Yeah, I'd had a few drinks ... again. :facepalm:

• Downvote 1

Not enjoying this at all so far. Just two eps in but finding it really undercooked with no interesting story strands at all. Everyone looks so thrilled to be in it, but it doesn't feel like the previous two seasons at all. I'll give it one, maybe two more episodes to pull it back before calling it a day I think.

:(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Stevie said:

It takes place in the 80's so how can there be 80's references? Personally I love it, its like being 10 again :wub:

I don't mind a period setting but the Duffers revel in it a lot. I don't really get as much out of it as they do, apparently. ;)

Up to episode 5 now.

Spoiler

Steve, Robin and Dustin should've just picked another kid and given Erica a real lesson in supply and demand!

• Upvote 2

Haven't watched past the first episode yet but Hopper's character seemed like a pretty OTT caricature. I don't remember him being so incompetently and buffoonishly irrational in the first two seasons. 

• Upvote 5

I binged and enjoyed the hell out of it. In terms of adding anything of real worth to the story, much like the second season there are complaints to be made, but instead of focusing on that I took this nostalgia joyride for what it is and had a great time from start to finish.

I’ve already visited a certain music video on YouTube to say that Stranger Things sent me. Impossible to resist. The movie its from was my first ever cinema experience. It will never not hit me right in the feels and I may have to consider changing my name to Dusty-bun.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Watched the first episode last night. Dusty is great but it was kinda boring. They really should have binned off this upside down shit and gone with a new supernatural mystery to solve each season. It’s just not interesting enough to be the backbone of the series.

Spoiler

Will starting to have his ‘episodes’ made me roll my eyes. Yawn.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

I binged and enjoyed the hell out of it. In terms of adding anything of real worth to the story, much like the second season there are complaints to be made, but instead of focusing on that I took this nostalgia joyride for what it is and had a great time from start to finish.

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve already visited a certain music video on YouTube to say that Stranger Things sent me. Impossible to resist. The movie its from was my first ever cinema experience. It will never not hit me right in the feels and I may have to consider changing my name to Dusty-bun.

Yeah the soundtrack was exceptionally well played. Like

Spoiler

Using the Back to the Future soundtrack to relay the tension in the scene in the show. Very good.

Despite the bleakness there were a lot more laughs this season i thought.

I've watched the first 6 episodes , I thought it's been pretty amazing so far. 

Russian terminator has been a little bit too in my face , but did anyone hear the terminator theme playing on the cashier till when he was at the furl station ?

Binged it...

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the scoops parts but the others less so.  Bit too heavy on the 80s music etc but much better than season 2.

The first half of the series is better than the second half, but it's generally great overall. The best bits for me were all the non-monster stuff. The first season is still the best because there was that mystery, we don't get that here. This is still better than season 2 though. 

• Upvote 3

Well this scores highly cos there's a bit in ep6. Where they literally play what sounds like a version of John Harrisons Day of the dead score.  

Literally one of the best slices of 80's synth ever, being called out. 

Just finished.

Spoiler

Definitely preferred more of the character-based moments like Will letting go of childhood, Billy's traumatic past, Steve and Robin getting to know each other and the separation at the end over bits like the big meat monster going nuts in the middle of the food court. Some of the supernatural stuff felt too much like a retread of what's happened before and I didn't really enjoy any of the Russian bits much either.

With that said,

Spoiler

The Battle of Starcourt reminded me a lot of a Zelda boss fight, especially when Lucas threw a firework into its mouth. :lol:

• Upvote 2

BoS

Spoiler

It annoyed me that the meat monster was being weirdly cautious looking for the kids..it should have been smashing the crap out of the place. Same with the attack.in hoppers house.

• Upvote 1

On 05/07/2019 at 13:14, neoELITE said:

But it isn't. It's set in the 80s. It's part of the script. 

Right, like how Braveheart wouldn’t be the same if it was set in the modern day (it might be better lol) but alas, it’s telling a story from a particular era. 

Stranger Things is so much more than a nostalgia-ride relying on shit haircuts and an absolutely POUNDING 80s soundtrack.  

It’s using that new-technology, Red Dawn, nuclear energy hysteria along with the loneliness and isolation of rural American communities where there are like 3 police officers and the whole sense of civil order is being held together with ideas, a prayer, and duct tape, to heighten this paranormal, superstitious horror that just wouldn’t work today. Like, they have to split off and rely on radios to stay in contact, elevating fear, paranoia, and anxiety. In the 80s, although the US economy was booming, towns like Hawkins were hours from anywhere (there are still towns like that) and so it also plays into that sense of American Self-Reliance. So many epic 80s thrillers have these settings - half of The Fugitive, Rambo 1, Red Dawn, etc. No one’s coming to help, so you had better step up. I just binged the whole thing and I’m still sweating. Reminds me of these dusty old VHS tapes we used to watch in science class about nuclear energy and shit. 

If if it was 2019 Dusty would just live-stream the whole Russians with guns thing and the gate would be closed in 15 minutes. 

Does anyone get a real Edge of Darkness vibe from this? (The original, not the Mel Gibson abortion)

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I loved it! All the 80's references and present and correct. It's a lot more of the same without the huge mystery of the first series. The Dustin duet was one of my personal highlights! I laughed a lot as well. Also damn, it looked so good. The effects were amazing!

• Upvote 2

Finished it last night. I think it was pretty great. I see a lot of people complaining that it was trying to be too funny - i didn't really have a big deal with this.

Look forward to S4.

• Upvote 2

Well that was pretty variable. It's amazing how unrecognizable it is from the first series. The character flanderisation after less than 25 episodes is incredible.

Ok start, strong middle, awful end. Too many characters. Too many characters that are completely superfluous/unnecessary (you could cut Jonathon for instance out entirely and it wouldn't change anything). The kids continue to be unbearabley unlikeable (Max, Eleven and Steve excepted).

Unless I missed something episodes 4-8 all happen on one night? 

The Russians are unnecessary and a complete misstep. The kids wandering into this base was a joke. Hooper/Joyce doing "Carry on Undercover" was shockingly terrible. Also there's absolutely no way the Russians would have been able to build that base undetected. Never mind in 1980s when they were close to ruin. 

What as the point of the coded message? To tell them about the shipments they knew were coming?

We never found out what the Green stuff, that's both highly acidic and powering the key, is right?

Dustin continues to suck massively...but they made him look slightly better by comparing him with Erica. The most unlikable person on TV in a long time. I don't get why they needed her. She added nothing to story and could easily have written it differently.

Lucas and Will stop (from looking for medical supplies to help their wounded screaming friend) to have a 5 minute debate about a fireworks display? Jesus just kill them all Billy...

Saw some people liked the Duet in episode 8, but I thought it was jarring;y out of place - especially intercut with the kids being hunted [by the slowest moving creature in history]. It's a brave move to undercut your dramatic climax like that - and it didn't pay off here.

Surprisingly, after my dislike last year, Max was one of the better things - mainly her interactions with El (isn't she Jane now?)

I could go on and on...it's a real shame cus I thought for the first few episodes they were building to something but then it just becomes too farcical.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5
  • Empathy 1

At the halfway point and it’s kinda the worst of the 3 seasons so far.

There’s no peril, the cast is too big, the mall falls the wrong side of silly pastiche, and as others have said the flanderisation is strong.

It needs to kill off some characters I think. Billy, Will, Jonathon, Winona. I guess there’s still time.

• Upvote 2