rllmuk
Goose

Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

Damn, was planning a re-watch of both prior seasons. Thought this was out the end of this month, not the beginning!! Oh well. :)

Watched the first episode of season 3 and forgot what a total nonentity Will is when compared to literally any other character in the show. Does he even possess a single character trait?

Yes, he wants to play D&D! Admittedly that's all I got. 

Steve's arc from high school heartthrob to never made it is the best. At this rate he'll be lucky to be a grave digger in S4.

• Upvote 1

My internet came back. Watched episode one. The sound FX at the start was awesome. It did jump all over the place with little snippets but that was something I expected; about 30 mins was a montage.

It was a bit gory

Spoiler

Exploding Russian agents and rats that popped.

On 20/03/2019 at 21:55, Paulando said:

Totally agree. The upside down stuff felt tired, and the monsters were awful. As good as these characters are, I’m not looking forward to another rehash of the same story with some new 80s references.

I only watched any of this in the last few months after Netflix came on sky. Its a good show, enjoyable and conpelling but its like a generic holiday novel. Its close to going past homage/nostalgia into rip-off territory. If the 80s setting was removed and it was present day i think itd be more harshly judged and picked apart.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, McFly said:

If the 80s setting was removed and it was present day i think itd be more harshly judged and picked apart.

Well if it happened to Ghostbusters then it must surely be true for this.

3 in and this is great. Loving team Steve+Dustin as much as ever. Lots of awesome gore and an amazing soundtrack.

Will is crap though. And he looks like an 18-year-old in a toddler’s mop-top.

5 hours ago, McFly said:

If the 80s setting was removed and it was present day i think itd be more harshly judged and picked apart.

But it isn't. It's set in the 80s. It's part of the script. 

6 hours ago, McFly said:

I only watched any of this in the last few months after Netflix came on sky. Its a good show, enjoyable and conpelling but its like a generic holiday novel. Its close to going past homage/nostalgia into rip-off territory. If the 80s setting was removed and it was present day i think itd be more harshly judged and picked apart.

Your fucking handle is an '80s reference. Your lack of any sense of irony is fucking spectacular. :lol:

Also, STFU, this show is fucking great. :coffee:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

I started watching season one 48 hours ago and I'm now halfway through season 2.....

This really is the new X-files isn't it when it comes to suspense and drama? The last time I watched a show this captivating was in the 1990's and it was the X-Files. 

• Upvote 2

Holy shit at S3 E4. This is such a step up in quality over S2. Which was very good already.

Great to see Cary Elwes in something again. Also nice to see the nod to BTTF with

Spoiler

the cat clock.

This is so so good.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

@jonamok  Shouldn't that be a spoiler, not a quote

Fixed. But it was like the world’s tinsiest spoiler. Not remotely a plot spoiler. Just a tiny ‘80s nod some people might like to spot themselves. Whatevs. Chill dingus.

In other news Episode 5 is even better. :omg:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, McFly said:

There's enough meat on it to withstand the constant 80s references but yeah, the Duffers overdo it a lot. I think the main plotlines and themes would stand up if they were in a present-day setting.

On another note- quite surprised to find out that the actor playing Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter. Now that I know it, I can't unsee the resemblance to her mum.

Cool. Didn’t know that. Though tbf I didn’t know Thurman and Hawke were a thing either.

Robin is a great addition to the show though.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

There's enough meat on it to withstand the constant 80s references

It takes place in the 80's so how can there be 80's references? Personally I love it, its like being 10 again :wub:

• Upvote 1

And done. That was great.

End of season spoiler:

Spoiler

No, not Jim!! But... The American? Did he escape through the gateway? I hope so, I really do.

Not finished the season yet- up to episode 5  but  enjoying it so far- it's funnier than previous seasons.I quite enjoy the little Easter eggs and  overt references / "inspiration" especially :

Spoiler

The Russian terminator henchman and invasion of the body snatchers

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Your fucking handle is an '80s reference. Your lack of any sense of irony is fucking spectacular. :lol:

I never mentioned 80s references at all in my post and I said it was good so you stfu :P

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Man alive Thor, turn it down eh, no need for that level of response at all, we're discussing a TV show not deciding which wire to cut!

• Upvote 9