rllmuk
Goose

Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

Looks good - 

Netflix has released the first trailer and key art from the highly-anticipated series Stranger Things, which will debuts on July 15th in all territories where Netflix is available. If you’re a fan of kid-centric ’80s supernatural fantasy movies (E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Poltergeist, Explorers) then you will definitely want to check out the Stranger Things trailer below, as well as the key art in the gallery!

Set in Hawkins Indiana in the 1980s, Stranger Things chronicles the search for a young boy who vanishes into thin air under highly suspicious circumstances. His mother (Winona Ryder) opens an investigation into the boy’s disappearance with local authorities that unravels a series of mysteries involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. A love letter to the ubiquitous cult classics of the 80’s, Stranger Things is a coming of age story for three boys that draws this quaint community into a world where mysteries lurk beneath the surface.

Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder (Joyce Byers), Matthew Modine (Dr. Brenner), David Harbour (Chief Hopper), Charlie Heaton (Jonathan Byers), Natalia Dyer (Nancy Wheeler), Millie Brown (Eleven), Finn Wolfhard (Mike Wheeler), Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas Sinclair), and Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin Henderson), and Cara Buono (Karen Wheeler).

• Upvote 5

looks interesting, big thing for me with this type of thing is have the writers actually worked out where its going or are they making it all up as it goes along and they paint themselves into increasingly tight corners which require sillier and sillier explanations to get out of ?

will give it a watch though

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2016 at 2:18 PM, Gotters said:

looks interesting, big thing for me with this type of thing is have the writers actually worked out where its going or are they making it all up as it goes along and they paint themselves into increasingly tight corners which require sillier and sillier explanations to get out of ?

will give it a watch though

Suppose one advantage of the Netflix / binge model is seasons are filmed to completion, so there's also more chance of a fully-fleshed out story and less feet-dragging with the plot (albeit with some likely ambiguity to leave open the door for a second season). Added bonus of there not being public ratings so less meddling from anxious execs that can derail a story or leave it treading water.

Looks decent though, lots of nods to 80s fillums.

Looks fantastic but you might want to skip this trailer as it seems to show a lot more footage (I might just have that phrase on a cut & paste)

Anyway, be warned.

I believe this is out on Friday. Just a heads up, as it definitely does look worth a watch.

The first eight minutes are available online but this seems to be the kind of show where the less you know and see the better.

Just watched the first episode. This is really something special, if the first episode is a sign of the quality throughout this might very well end up on a lot of "Favourite series ever" lists. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Just watched the first episode. This is really something special, if the first episode is a sign of the quality throughout this might very well end up on a lot of "Favourite series ever" lists. 

I wasn't as impressed as you.  Thought it was pleasantly entertaining, the period verisimilitude is astonishing and the performances good, but the mystery itself seems pretty standard.  It came across as an ET / X-Files mashup, which sounds great on paper, but is more nostalgic and reassuring than exciting.

There's definitely enough here to make me watch all eight, though.  Hoping some really interesting and unusual stuff happens over the next few eps. 

Enjoyed the first Ep, sets up a lot of stuff. Sense of period is really good and the general atmosphere is great. It's quite creepy too though not quite horror movie creepy. 

I put down the whole series. Really enjoyed it, but it's very much a grand mashup of everything sci-fi related from the last 30 years of movies and videogames, even parts surprising and utterly predictable. If you're on board with that you'll have a good time. The kids were fine, I really liked pretty much everyone in it. It's got a real episode-to-episode hook that makes it very difficult to not keep going (I didn't intend to do the whole lot to start with). 

• Upvote 1

On episode 4 now, this is gripping and brilliant, i can't stop. Sabreman is absolutely right though, it's a blend of so many classic ideas.

It works, that's all that matters. 

Same here and same stopping place, i haven't binged five back to back episodes of a show in years. Great stuff and yes love the soundtrack!

Watched the first ep.  It desperately wants to be Spielberg's ET at the start.  They've done a pretty good job too.

Seems to be ET + Akira.

Will watch again.

Just watched the first episode. The whole atmosphere and ragtag group of young friends gave me a strong Stephen King vibe, and the music is so Tron-y! I like.