IGNORED

ShopTo's new Nintendo digital store

Xevious

Interesting: http://www.shopto.net/digital/nintendo

Nintendo have gone down the digital shop route a little differently to Microsoft and Sony.  Not only can you buy games directly from the eShop, but you can also redeem codes for specific games - and that means that other retailers can in effect sell things that are linked to the eShop.  Until now the only company doing this was GAME, but now ShopTo has started to offer the codes as well - and these can be directly redeemed on the Nintendo site with a couple of mouse clicks meaning that you don't even have to type them in.

And to show why this is a good idea since retail competition is a great thing, ShopTo is offering some introductory discounts.  Apparently.  I can't find them.

14 minutes ago, Xevious said:

Interesting: http://www.shopto.net/digital/nintendo

Nintendo have gone down the digital shop route a little differently to Microsoft and Sony.  Not only can you buy games directly from the eShop, but you can also redeem codes for specific games - and that means that other retailers can in effect sell things that are linked to the eShop.  Until now the only company doing this was GAME, but now ShopTo has started to offer the codes as well - and these can be directly redeemed on the Nintendo site with a couple of mouse clicks meaning that you don't even have to type them in.

And to show why this is a good idea since retail competition is a great thing, ShopTo is offering some introductory discounts.  Apparently.  I can't find them.

Is it that different a model to what we already have? You can buy codes for a lot of MS/Sony games and other content from third parties - for example, as in your example, from ShopTo: http://www.shopto.net/microsite/sony-digital-store 

3 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Is it that different a model to what we already have? You can buy codes for a lot of MS/Sony games and other content from third parties - for example, as in your example, from ShopTo: http://www.shopto.net/microsite/sony-digital-store 

Interesting, I even searched for that sort of thing and couldn't find it.  Apparently the difference is that you can't directly redeem the codes on the PS store but you can on the eShop.  Not that that makes a lot of difference ...

Yeah, I never pay full price for DLC/digital game downloads - I don't think many people buy 100% direct from the official stores. Even if you can't get a deal for the specific game code itself, you can always buy PSN/XBL credit more cheaply from somewhere other than the official site. The discounts are still nowhere near what you can get for physical products though.

13 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Yeah, I never pay full price for DLC/digital game downloads - I don't think many people buy 100% direct from the official stores. Even if you can't get a deal for the specific game code itself, you can always buy PSN/XBL credit more cheaply from somewhere other than the official site. The discounts are still nowhere near what you can get for physical products though.

Given that I tend to buy games about a year after they come out, the only things I buy digitally are those that cannot be got any other way.  I'm hoping that introducing competition in the retail market like this might mean that prices of older games do actually fall.

Best thing to do digitally* if you're not bothered about waiting is (obviously) to wait for PSN/XBL/Steam sales - and then make sure you buy the store credit from somewhere like cdkeys so you make a double saving. You can end up getting a game from PSN/XBL cheaper than even the discounted rates for old physical product from online retailers that way. Except that, of course, you can't later sell it on in the current licensing model.

* Unless you use those XBL Guatemalan store out-of-region shenanigans, of course. You can probably buy any number of things more cheaply from places where the cost of living is hundreds of percent lower than in the UK.