Kevin Smith's Yoga Hosers - Trailer

Goose

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Dogma's still pretty good. He lets Jay and Silent Bob take over the whole thing but it has its moments.

Honestly Dogma is in the 5 worst films I've ever seen. It's literally just scene after scene of people sitting around talking about the bible. Broken up with a scene of a shit monster and alanis Morisette stinking up the place

Even Clerks is pretty rubbish. There are plenty of quotable bits, but it doesn’t really function as a film - it’s glacially slow for something that’s only 90 minutes long. His whole career is pretty much an anecdote delivery system. I thought I loved his films as a teenager, but I only really liked Mallrats.

Red State is the only film of his I think looks like it was made by an actual film director, there’s some attempt at creating tension and moving the story along. Even that goes completely fucking haywire towards the end, and can’t even make it over the finishing line – the ending may as well just be a dream that John Goodman’s character had.

On 7 June 2016 at 2:16 PM, kerraig UK said:

All his films except Clerks are pretty bad. You just happened to be a teenager when you watched em.

I agree (except the teenager part, I was in my early 20s...). I watched Chasing Amy the other day and the dialogue is cringeworthy. I think one of the problems is that Smith believed (or hoped) he could do more than comedy and that he could be taken seriously. But instead of being like Woody Allen, he ended up like Steve Martin.

Mallrats is still good, although that's mostly down to Jason Lee.

To be honest, I don't think I've gone back to any of his work in the last ten years, so I couldn't say how it'd hold up for me. 

I've always liked him as a person, and I sometimes wonder if he's a guy who should have made films at all. Then again, without his film work, you'd not get the Q&As, podcasts etc.

I agree that Clerks is more a series of quotable moments rather than a decent film as a whole, but I still think it stands out as a film that left an impression.  His films directly after were watchable, but hardly indicative of the second coming of filmmaking.  I think I always kind of looked on them slightly fonder because of Smith himself though.  Not just because he came across as likable, or he was a slightly over weight dude that was a bit like how I saw myself at the time, but he was the poster boy for following your dreams and making it big in Hollywood.  He went from a film so low budget it was funded in large part by credit cards to having budgets in the tens of millions.  He's also seemed to have done it making the films he wants, rather than ending up doing some big budget blockbuster.

That said, the films he seems to want to make dont really seem that great, more so recently. 

It's a shame when people dont really live up to their initial output.  It's not as bad as the fall of M Night Shamalyan though, who went from me thinking he was my new favourite director after Unbreakable, which is one of my favourite films, and the Sixth Sense, which is excellent, to pretty much thinking "holyshitwhatthehellareyoudoingpleasestop" with pretty much his entire output after Signs (which was decent, until the terrible ending).

Mallrats is a great flick, and Chasing Amy is curiously watchable, considering it contains some of the worst acting of all time.

But other than that I pass on him. Clerks isn't as good as either of the above after you've seen it once.

Mallrats is probably my favourite film ever. I can't get enough  of it.

I like all the View Askewniverse films to differing degrees, Dogma being my least favourite but still find it enjoyable. Not seen many of his other films though. 

I hate his whole #its420somewhere transformation, but he's a ruthlessly likeable guy. I liked the View Askewniverse when I was a teenager, but a few years ago I introduced it to a friend and that was a rough reevaluation. Turns out I have grown up a bit.

Bah. He's doing what he loves, he's getting away with it, and I enjoy his podcasts.

If he's making films for himself then that's fine, but presumably he wants other people to pay for them, and other people to pay to see them, so you'd expect that he'd put slightly more effort into actually making them. If he wants to make movies for himself, then just buy a digital camera and a copy of Final Cut and show them to his mates, and then they can be as weird, self-indulgent and shit as he likes. 

It's not like he's Kickstarting his movies, the funds for his movies come from him or investors. His movies might be terrible now but I really enjoyed them up to Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back and haven't bothered with any of them since making do with Hollywood Babble-on because he is an excellent storyteller. 

He's fairly self deprecating about the whole thing, everything said in here he happily admits, he wonders himself why people keep giving him money for movies. On one of the podcasts I listened to recently he said the best thing for his daughters acting career is to get her the fuck away from her dad. 

I didn't mind Tusk so much but I havent enjoyed any of his movies since strike back, I used to love Mallrats and Clerks but I watched them recently and I was wondering throughout why I was so bored, I guess I've changed somewhat. 

16 hours ago, Vin said:

Fatman on Batman and Hollywood Babble-on is mandatory listening every week. Love that shit.

The problem with Fatman on Batman is now he's become ingrained into the DC TV universe (directing episodes of The Flash and possible other shows) he's never critical of anything. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe anyone thinks the season finales of The Flash and Arrow were anything but a confusing and muddled disaster.

I don't rely on him for objective opinions; he cries at every fucking thing that's designed to evoke some sort of emotion [through that haze of smoke]. But he's got a very "live and let live", "pursue your dreams" attitude that's uplifting.

• 2 months later...

I listened to his podcasts once. What a mistake. He has this classic stoner view of himself: a wise and zen rebel-type. Whereas in reality he's the archetypal stoner: dull of wit and plodding of thought, endlessly amusing only to himself. 

29 minutes ago, Treble said:

I listened to his podcasts once. What a mistake. He has this classic stoner view of himself: a wise and zen rebel-type. Whereas in reality he's the archetypal stoner: dull of wit and plodding of thought, endlessly amusing only to himself. 

That's literally his pov in the video above. Painfully repetitive and tedious.

I'm probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed Clerks 2. Completely pointless sequel, classic example of falling back on past successes. But it felt nice to spend an hour or two in that little world with the guys blethering on about stuff and whatnot. Smith would probably like us to see it as a film about growing up and dealing with change, but to me it was just more banter.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Kevin Smith film. To me right now he's that big guy in the oversized basketball shirt rattling on about comics and Star Wars at any given opportunity.

On 9/3/2016 at 10:14, Treble said:

And the worst part is that he has great guest on - Stan Lee, Grant Morrison, Mark Hamill. Then the weed kicks in and he starts repeating himself and asking the same questions over and over. No fun.

On 03/09/2016 at 10:14, Treble said:

Pretty much the best Kevin Smith description I've ever read and I'm a Kevin Smith fan. 

Clerks through to Strike Back were his decent years. After that every film has been a disaster. I went off his podcasts when he got heavy into weed smoking. Stevedave with Bry and Walt is still a winner, mind. ;) 

• 1 month later...