rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Lost Frontier - Wild West 'Advance Wars'

I'm only a few levels in but it does feel like the best AW style game yet for mobiles.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id1008496061

Description

Lost Frontier is a turn-based strategy game, brought to you from the creators of the Battleheart and Zombieville series'. In a fantasy-western setting consumed by steam-punk technology and the supernatural, can you survive with just your wit and a six-gun at your side?

Features:

• Story Mode - Play through 24 chapters that introduce you to the gameplay, characters, and world of Lost Frontier.

• Challenge Mode - once you've mastered the mechanics, put your knowledge to the test in a series of 20 demanding missions.

• 20 Unique Unit types - take command of a wide range of Wild West forces, from Gunslingers and Cavalry to civil-war era Cannons and Gatling Guns. Or, employ more exotic weapons like steam-powered Gyrocopters and Zeppelins, and enlist the help of dark forces like Werewolves and Necromancers.

• Living Legends - choose a "Living Legend" as the leader of your forces. Each of the 9 unique legends grow in power as you play with them, and promote different play styles. Will you pick your foes off from a distance as Wyatt "Long-Arm" Wilcox, or focus on brute force with the help of ace gunslinger John "6-eyes" McGraw?

• Custom Games - choose from a variety of maps, set up the rules, and play with or against AI or human players via local, hot-seat play.

• Upvote 1

Really no-one else playing this?

It's miles better than any turn-based strategy I've played on my iphone/ipad and it has enough different gameplay mechanics to Advance Wars so as to make it not simply a clone.

It's unfair to judge a game by its trailer, but from what they've shown it seems to make the same mistake that hundreds of other AW clones (and strategy games in general) have made, and fail to recognise the importance of character. Advance Wars had it in spades, and it's one of the things that makes games like Fire Emblem and the original Command & Conquer series so likeable: aside from being a fine strategy game, it was also filled with personality. A colourful world filled with chunky units, the silly cartoon character generals - even the little expressions on their faces telling you whether they think any given combat is going to go well.

Obviously if the game beneath all that had been bobbins it would have been for nought, but developers underestimate the importance of Advance Wars' personality at their peril, and the muggy graphics and gloomy looking characters in that trailer don't exactly inspire me.

Also, the Weird West is a fucking shit setting for anything other than horror.

I'd kind of prefer it if Intelligent Systems just made AW (I remember what happened when Nintendo allowed a different developer to have the Wars licence), but yes. More AW would be nice.

20 hours ago, Wiper said:

It's unfair to judge a game by its trailer, but from what they've shown it seems to make the same mistake that hundreds of other AW clones (and strategy games in general) have made, and fail to recognise the importance of character. Advance Wars had it in spades, and it's one of the things that makes games like Fire Emblem and the original Command & Conquer series so likeable: aside from being a fine strategy game, it was also filled with personality. A colourful world filled with chunky units, the silly cartoon character generals - even the little expressions on their faces telling you whether they think any given combat is going to go well.

Obviously if the game beneath all that had been bobbins it would have been for nought, but developers underestimate the importance of Advance Wars' personality at their peril, and the muggy graphics and gloomy looking characters in that trailer don't exactly inspire me.

Also, the Weird West is a fucking shit setting for anything other than horror.

I'd agree 100% with this, all the greatest strategy games have had that something extra on top of their mechanics. Blizzard's RTS games were similarly imbued with character, it's what makes something mechanically good so much more memorable and fun to play.

In terms of more (Nintendo Console) Wars, seems slim a possibility sadly. Never popular enough in Japan, got popular in the West for a short period then died, it's gonna take a miracle for somebody in management to decide not working on Paper Mario or Fire Emblem sequels isn't a more productive use of their time.

• Upvote 1

I wish they had used a different graphic style this looks similar in look/feel to the little war games. Having said that I will give it a try once I have finished the current three I am playing.

+1 for starting a new thread @Hitcher