Lumo - isometric adventure

noob

I'm enjoying this, it looks and sounds great and all of the references are lovely, but I can't help but feel it hasn't achieved its full potential. The 'puzzles' don't really amount to much, and pixel-perfect 3D platforming shouldn't be anywhere near a game like this. It's like a shell of a game without any real meat, like a pre-release alpha or something, waiting for someone to mess around with the concept for a bit and fill it with ideas.

10 hours ago, Paulando said:

I'm enjoying this, it looks and sounds great and all of the references are lovely, but I can't help but feel it hasn't achieved its full potential. The 'puzzles' don't really amount to much, and pixel-perfect 3D platforming shouldn't be anywhere near a game like this. It's like a shell of a game without any real meat, like a pre-release alpha or something, waiting for someone to mess around with the concept for a bit and fill it with ideas.

I don't understand this really, it's intentionally an homage to the isometric games of old and a love letter to loads of games that you just don't get any more. The pixel perfect platforming is what Head over Heels etc were all about, that's why it's like that and 'fill it with ideas'? There's bloody loads of ideas in this, there's zelda bits, a pacman level, marble madness, mario galaxy, hidden rooms, references to more games than I even recognise. If there's one thing this isn't lacking it's ideas. I'd agree that it could be 'better' if it was a more modern take on the isometric flick screen puzzle game but that's not what it's meant to be.

I know I'm guilty of it with various games myself but you seem to be criticising it for something that it isn't.

Thought I would stick at this as it seemed really slow for the first hour or so and pleased I did.  Really starts to improve and love all the game references!

Some lovely sound and lush old school colour effects.

Probably worth waiting for a sale of you not overly keen on the knight lore retro but defo worth a purchase if you live this style.  

A nice change of pace game too from all the big blockbuster stuff of late. 

This game is just...so video gamey! It's proper fun, I love exploring every corner of each room and finding the hidden cassette rooms. Each puzzle I solve makes me feel like I've achieved something, in a good way. I recently completed Uncharted 4, which was lovely, but that felt like a glorified QTE game compared to this. 

Loving it!

• 5 months later...

Bought this yesterday as I was looking for something new to play and I fell in love with it completely. Such a fun game that takes you back to the isometric adventures of the 80s. Chock full of really cool little easter eggs.

However...

Spoiler

When I got to the slippery slidy ice world the love was lost completely. In a game that's already tricky enough due to the camera angles. To introduce both really hard room layouts and icey inertia at the same time was a really harsh move. I know games were harder in the 80s but it's gone from super fun to an exercise in frustration.

• 4 months later...

I've just finished it! 

Loved the game - perfect level of challenge and introduction of new mechanics / puzzles etc. as the game progressed. My favourite thing, however, is also my big issue with the game.  Those fantastic 'hidden' retro games that you come across are just amazing, brought such a retro smile to my face.  But... you get one go, and that's it!  It's like only having 10p when you go in the arcade.  Surely there's some way to just go back to the 'mini-games' without having to do the whole game again isn't there?  I was hoping there'd be a new menu item upon completion - no! Then I thought, it'll be in the arcade bit at the start of the game - nope! Is there anyway to access them or are they lost forever (well at least without playing the whole game again)?

6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Worth getting this on the PSN store for 4 quid? :) Really like the Equinox/Pentagram style graphics.

It's excellent.  Certainly worth £4, particularly if you ever played games in the '80s.

• 2 months later...
On 12/04/2017 at 21:16, harbey said:

It's excellent.  Certainly worth £4, particularly if you ever played games in the '80s.

Did get round to trying it and... I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. :( Found the controls rather indistinct, and the game is rather buggy in places. To be fair, I haven't played this sort of isometric adventure game in over twenty years, and perhaps it doesn't really do much for me these days.

I played and finished this when it was up on PS+ a couple of months ago or so and started/finished it off on the same day. I enjoyed it for the most part but agree with @harbey regarding the stingy way they limit your experiences with the retro mini-games. They were based off an in-game currency from what I remember and I think I ended up going in there like 3 or 4 times in total despite there being 6 mini games. They are really cool to play as well but take some getting used to, and of course I never got chance to really replay much because of how limiting it was. It didn't fill me with enough confidence to think that I'd get much from replaying it too. 

Limbo itself had some really cool soothing music and humorous trophies to be had such as the Crystal Maze reference bit or the toilet you can flush. I also received the trophy for dying at least 250 times during my run, so I don't think a hardcore oldskool limited lives run would be happening anytime soon. 

It was a great game just with some tedious moments that result in many deaths and I remember one bit that caused me to lose about 40 lives just on one screen that had some sort of bubble you had to jump on to get across to collect something, then use it again to get back. A similar thing happened when you end up inside that bubble very late in the game, floating about trying to get through a section of a stage. The viewing angle of it all made the process insanely difficult. 

17 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

and the game is rather buggy in places.

Oh and just to add to this, I only personally game across one bug that I can remember, and that's where you have to jump on a round circular valve handle which opens or shuts off some valve. It's very easy to run behind the handle and get stuck inbetween it and the pipe. This is a simple fix though as you can easily restart the level. It just seemed like a very obvious one to come across so I was surprised it hadn't been fixed. 

I wanted to love this but found it too frustrating to play, lining up some of the jumps had me tearing my hair out. Maybe there should be an easy jump mode for those of us who don't have the reflexes and the patience any more. Either that or I need to suck it up and get good.

• 2 months later...