IGNORED

January 2017 transfer window

Plissken

On 24/08/2016 at 23:16, Rev said:

He's [Jeffers] a coach at Everton now, which explains their bad last season too...

He was only doing a bit of work with the young academy kids, not sure how much impact he'll have had on the first team showing! No idea if he's even still there.

10 hours ago, stefcha said:

He was only doing a bit of work with the young academy kids, not sure how much impact he'll have had on the first team showing! No idea if he's even still there.

Correlation doesn't always mean causation, but is often quite entertaining.

Callum Chambers to Boro. Not sure what I think of that. The defence is already awesome.

Will he sit on the bench up north instead? 

I might be wrong here but didn't Wenger says hes not strong enough for this level after the Liverpool game? 

No-one has any idea what is happening with Chambers. It was obvious he needed to go somewhere, I guess you're the only one willing to cover his wages that made an offer. He really should have gone somewhere he'd be a first team player, but I guess training helps more there than most places.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 17:58, Timmo said:

Great touch and finisher but weak as a feather and no pace.

Championship player in my opinion.

He was shit and a massive twat at Palace and has a very high opinion of himself, announcing he was ending his loan due to lack of game time after a match (where he'd missed an absolute sitter) before even speaking to Pardew, diva behavior for someone who has done nothing Premier League. His 10 minute substitute appearance when Norwich came to Selhurst was a delight (given in those circumstances the returnee inevitably scores), he did precisely nothing other than fall on his arse and play terrible balls, one of the BBC commentators called it the worst substitute appearance they have ever seen.   

On 26/08/2016 at 17:23, Gotters said:

I don't know what position he plays, or who he is, but I really hope Watford manage to complete the transfer of Sven Kums.

If the right moves had gone through we could have had:  and out to Kums...Ba...Ya..Ya Toure

I am currently enjoying Newcastle seemingly sending the precise details of each negotiation about Sissoko to the media. So far: "We want £35m" "We'll do him for £30m" "We'll do him for 5 installments of £6m"

Spurs and Chelsea have had pretty terrible transfer windows thusfar which seem to have flown under the radar a bit.

After trying and failing to buy every centre back in Europe, it now seems Chelsea might be bringing David Luiz back. So was that entire thing just an elaborate money laundering exercise?

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

Spurs and Chelsea have had pretty terrible transfer windows thusfar which seem to have flown under the radar a bit.

After trying and failing to buy every centre back in Europe, it now seems Chelsea might be bringing David Luiz back. So was that entire thing just an elaborate money laundering exercise?

Why do you think Spurs have had a bad window? Buying in needed positions & selling off a whole load of fringe players who wouldn't get any game time seems pretty good to me.

Chelsea have had an appalling window when it comes to defenders. They've been way more Arsenal than Arsenal have been. Spurs were fine until they've gone into embarrassing Levy-Turbo-Mode where they just strafe around offering too little for players for no reason at all.

Meanwhile, Leicester are spending £68.5m on deadline day because Leicester are either drunk or have just set themselves the task of making everything related to the Premier League more entertaining.

1 hour ago, redbloodcel said:

Why do you think Spurs have had a bad window? Buying in needed positions & selling off a whole load of fringe players who wouldn't get any game time seems pretty good to me.

Haven't bought anyone to improve their first XI. They've done typically well on their outgoings but they've spent ages on Nkoudou and now they're pissing about with Sissoko from Newcastle. 

I don't think they'll be able to continue the way they did last year with fairly intense pressing and little rotation, plus CL football to contend with. The depth isn't there.

15 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Haven't bought anyone to improve their first XI. They've done typically well on their outgoings but they've spent ages on Nkoudou and now they're pissing about with Sissoko from Newcastle. 

I don't think they'll be able to continue the way they did last year with fairly intense pressing and little rotation, plus CL football to contend with. The depth isn't there.

Does the youngest first XI in the league really need new signings to improve rather than time? I don't agree regarding the depth either, what with Wanyama and Janssen coming in and improving the only real positions where the cover wasn't available. N'koudou got held up on Marseille being bought out, nothing to do with Spurs messing around.

8 minutes ago, The Fox said:

In a summer where Mustafi, Koulibaly, Bailly, Manolas, Benatia and others were all available, how have Chelsea ended up having to desperately twat £40m for David Luiz on deadline day? That's beyond shambolic.

And when they could clearly afford a bunch of other players but chose to be tight-fisted about it. It's not like they couldn't splash £50m if they can spend £40m on Sideshow Bob.

3 hours ago, The Fox said:

I wouldn't say Spurs have had a terrible window but they have failed to improve the first XI.

Personally I really think we lack someone really special in one of the three attacking midfield positions, but someone like that would cost over 40 million and massive wages, and there is no way Levy will sanction that.

It's just dawned on me how mad the transfer window is, probably because it's becoming the norm for nearly every mid table club to spend upwards of £30m on a player that very likely won't make a difference to how well they could do. Has the quality of premier league football improved such a vast amount that chasing these players is necessary just to remain there among everyone else. It seems like the way people describe football, the season is like a 10 month military campaign and you need to arm up on soldiers just to survive it, the amount of attention Hull is getting is kind of obscene, have they no youth they can rely upon because 90% of the time I've seen a youth player being given a chance in 1-5 games they've been a revelation. Some like Reece Oxford struggled beyond one game, others like Flanagan could sustain it, if crucially, the team also could.

I'd like some of these overpriced players to improve and deserve (relatively) the price that was paid for them, but very few have shown the consistency previously to be able to do it. Everton spending around £30m for Lukaku made sense in that he's an experienced striker poached from a top four club who has years to improve, and could potentially drag the club up with him if he's scoring 25 goals a season. But Balosie for £25m..he's a unique individual, quick and powerful, but its like his price reflects the physicality he has that allows him to play in the league without falling apart, as opposed to it reflecting the amount of goals and assists he'll bring in terms of pure stats, because he's not a conductor either or someone who will make everyone else better through the invisible things he does, like Modric when at Spurs. Big prices for players that in the short term world of premier league football will never actually be given enough games to fulfil their potential, because of injury setbacks or the team not gelling, or just never ever being able to be consistent. Then again Leicester proved previously overlooked or ordinary players can have an outstanding season, it's ..just the endless means of success always being about spending more and more. Clubs have always spent, but the way it is now, with so little logic, so little guarantees, not to buy the star who can entertain the crowds and produce 'a moment of magic' /cliche and propel your club further, but instead vast amounts on players with the intention just to remain where you are. 

29 minutes ago, angel said:

Sissoko to Everton for 30 million, on that scale I think they'd pay someone about 2 mil for me.

I had a dream Bayern Munich bought one of my colleagues for £4m last night. She doesn't even like football, yet that was the only thing that seemed odd at the time.

It's bloody weird. From 1995 to 2005 we went from spending £5m on Andrei Kanchelskis to Spending £6m on James Beattie, the money didn't change that much for everyone outside the top 4. Ten years on from that and we're about to spend £30m on Sissoko and we still haven't topped where we finished in the season we signed Beattie. 

Fucking football man.