Thor: Ragnarok

JohnC

Watched this last night in prep for Avengers tomorrow (still not seen Black Panther but I'll have to make do).

Despite the fact the 2 hour 10 minute runtime was dragged out to over 3 hours due to an unhappy, vomiting baby I thought it was amazing. 

The rock dude almost stole the film. The juxtaposition of this huge blue rock man and his really laid back voice made me chuckle so much.

I agree "piss off ghost" was quality. 

• 1 month later...

Mixed feelings about this (as with all these MCU films now: i'm not on the hype cycle anymore) but it's also good and I loved everything with Jeff Goldblum (the film would have been better with more of him):

''You are officially pardoned...from life''

• 1 month later...

I'm currently forty minutes into this and frankly I'm exhausted. It's like a Skittles advert directed by a seven year old with ADHD who's off their Ritalin.

I'll watch the rest but it feels like a $250 million dollar pantomime rather than a real film so far.

Also Cate Blanchette seems to be channelling Eva Green in 300: Rise of an Empire. I'm guessing she doesn't get her norks out though. Or show Thor her fine taste in rough shag?

This is available on Sky Cinema now and I keep debating watching it again to see if I like it on a second viewing, but it was right in a group of Marvel films that I just didn't like (GotG2, Spider-Man, this and Black Panther) and I'm not sure that opinion will change.

It did have some funny lines though, so there's that at least.

Watched this for the first time last night. It was really good; unlike the first two films it had an engaging plot and humor. Like most modern action movies it had the ADHD stuff and looks more like a computer game than a movie; but that's par for the course nowadays.

Finally watched this tonight, and it was absolutely superb. If anyone other than James Gunn has to do GOTG, it really should be Taika Waititi.

It's easily the funniest Marvel movie, and gave the whole franchise some real texture - and a reason to exist. Might be tied for my favourite with GOTG1.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

The whole LOTR pastiche bit was intentional right? There was no punchline to it so I have to check to be sure.

Yeah, I thought so too. You talking about the bits with Heimdall in his elven cloak leading the Hobbits Asgardians over the mountains and through the forest? And then later there's that big secret hideout that looks like the Mines of Moria, complete with those rows of pillars from floor to ceiling, and the massive door outside of it that looks like the entrance to Moria.

The director makes no mention of this during the audio commentary, but it's gotta be intentional. It's so blatant.