Thor: Ragnarok

JohnC

18 minutes ago, linkster said:

See earlier comment about Cap getting the Wizard of Oz reference. Didn’t need to be explained. Same reason I enjoy Deadpool more than the more I guess gentle all inclusive humour on show here.

I'm not sure what one joke - in either film, such as the wizard of Oz thing - says about the style of humour in each. All I can tell you is that Whedonesque humour has been incredibly influential and much-copied since his Buffy days, and the style has been fairly consistent across scores of Marvel films. Ragnarok is definitely a marked departure from that; which you've been arguing as well.

I don't get the 'gentle, all inclusive' thing either - Marvel films have been the very definition of that since day one.

I think that refers he is referring to Deadpool over Marvel in general. I love Deadpool its full of clever, subversive,  humour (like the "from the studio that brought you 'Devil Wears Prada') but it's also filled with lazy, unsophisticated, knob gags.

1 minute ago, Delargey said:

I think that refers he is referring to Deadpool over Marvel in general. I love Deadpool its full of clever, subversive,  humour (like the "from the studio that brought you 'Devil Wears Prada') but it's also filled with lazy, unsophisticated, knob gags.

Aye, I mean I found it an odd thing to throw in at this point - I thought we were talking about Ragnarok being a departure from the previous Thor films. Deadpool is obv a very different beast altogether, right?

Yeah, Deadpool is very different from the standard superhero fare, he's not saving the world, no glowy portals, etc it's more of a personal movie I guess but Deadpool still had a fairly one-dimensional villain and a third act which involved a hero saving his helpless love interest.

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

Aye, I mean I found it an odd thing to throw in at this point - I thought we were talking about Ragnarok being a departure from the previous Thor films. Deadpool is obv a very different beast altogether, right?

Not just Thor but MCU, especially AA such for me was a seemingly unassailable high point 

i thjnk that movie wisely recognised Chris Hemsworth’s rather limited range, whereas this .. didn’t 

Do you actually like movies ? Or are you another of those chin stroking hipsters that thinks popular means lowest common denominator, If it isn't black and white with subtitles and delves deep into the the human mind with 4 hours of introspective bollocks.. it must be for the proles.

Are you one of those "film aficionados" that believe Laurel and Hardy sold out when they moved to talkies !

@Linkster ... not you McCoy :)

Nah, he's none of those things...

17 minutes ago, linkster said:

A Wrinkle In Time

bizarre and ridiculous tho it is, especially in dressing Oprah as the dead Goron from Majora’s Mask, that was surprisingly entertaining, best described as a smarter, wittier and more entertaining version of Interstellar

He's an idiot. :coffee:

I'm still confused as to what you meant when you said avengers understood Helmworths acting range while this movie didn't. There didn't seem to be any moments with any serious emotional weight behind them in the script (a flaw in the movie) and the movie lent into the comedy, which is where Chris Helmworth is stronger.

Like when Odin died I don't recall Hiddleston being much better than Helmsworth.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this and I don't know if it makes me a drooling simpleton or not but I absolutely loved it, I loved the over the top action, how colourful the whole film was, the characters genuinely looking like they were having fun. Even the humour hit all the right spots for me although I did think the ball scene would ruffle a few feathers on here. 

I haven't even mentioned the soundtrack yet, it was incredible but synths give me a semi so I may be biased. 

Not feeling Thor about seeing that at all. 

On 23/03/2018 at 18:53, Sidewaysbob said:

Do you actually like movies ? Or are you another of those chin stroking hipsters that thinks popular means lowest common denominator, If it isn't black and white with subtitles and delves deep into the the human mind with 4 hours of introspective bollocks.. it must be for the proles.

Are you one of those "film aficionados" that believe Laurel and Hardy sold out when they moved to talkies !

@Linkster ... not you McCoy :)

Nah, cause he hates Pixar but loves Dreamworks. Hated Rogue One but liked the latest Godzilla, so there's certainly flaws there haha.

I'm almost convinced its an alt account for some one though* An account from 2003 thats all of a sudden been way more active recently :sherlock:

But nothing wrong with a bit of movie discussion, we all have different tastes, even if some are questionable :P 

*not really.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this again the other day, it's so bloody good.

A few things mildly confused me though:

1. How did Hulk manage to get to Planet Goldblum just by drifting off in a Quinjet? I didn't know they were capable of interplanetary travel.

2. How did the Devil's Ringpiece teleport Thor etc to within five miles of exactly where they wanted to be?

3. What was the credit scene involving Goldblum about? Why did he suddenly crash onto Garbage Island?

To reiterate: this film is awesome.

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hide contents

If the Quinjets are capable of faster than light interstellar travel it raises the question why they haven't made much of an issue about it.

Spoiler

They aren't capable of interstellar travel. He got pulled through a wormhole just like every other piece of junk dragged to the planet.

On 02/04/2018 at 16:32, Fletch said:

Just watched this and I don't know if it makes me a drooling simpleton or not but I absolutely loved it, I loved the over the top action, how colourful the whole film was, the characters genuinely looking like they were having fun. Even the humour hit all the right spots for me although I did think the ball scene would ruffle a few feathers on here. 

I haven't even mentioned the soundtrack yet, it was incredible but synths give me a semi so I may be biased. 

Not feeling Thor about seeing that at all. 

I only just caught this recently with its blu ray release and it's easily my favourite MCU film to date, and a 10/10 in general. The faux skype call issues at the start of Last Jedi were amusing but barely Star Warsy for me, but that kind of humour just went down a storm in this. I actually missed a lot of the lines from laughing so hard, especially at the couple of lines from rock dude at the end. And the music was perfect, completely agree.

Not seen Black Panther or Infinity War yet (I'm knocking cinema on the head and waiting for discs), but I hope we see more of Dr Strange.

Yup, saw it last week and it pretty much got me kickstarted back into watching the films again! It’s great...just really fun stuff.

genuine sense that everyone was having a blast making it.

On 27/10/2017 at 13:47, Tofu said:

Siege was dire, would like to see Secret Invasion but doubt it due to Skrulls.

we could finally get Tommy Lee Jones Norman Osborne though

Iron-Patriot-Norman-Osborn-e133932367998

yaaaaas, I want to see those gingery cornrows on the big screen.

I thought it was brilliant, genuinely funny and suitably wacky. I loved the cheapo sounding 80s action music. My favourite part was the little bug guy with knives for hands who was ALWAYS doing kung fu when he was onscreen.

Agree that Idris Elba's LOTR sections felt like a completely different movie. I thought everyone on Asgard was a god, why are there peasants?