Thor: Ragnarok

JohnC

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not funny for you, linkster. That's great. Great for you. Nice one. Thanks for letting us know. 

No, please, keep us updated on what else you don't find funny. Especially stuff that everyone else finds at the very least somewhat amusing. :coffee:

I think he's allowed to respond to something directed at him. Calm down.

His argument was that the jokes were signposted. That one wasn't, yet he listed it as a "case in point".

And it is funny. 

I'm also very calm. In fact, I'm positively serene. 

Unlike linkster, who's probably spitting bile right now. :coffee:

16 hours ago, linkster said:

Watched Ragnarok again with the missus, still totally underwhelming, find the slapstick so forced and generally not funny at all. Blanched chewing the scenery just another piss poor marvel villain.

Dead inside.

Sorry I really don’t get it. It’s hilarious, charming and just a neon tinged realisation of silver age comics and I really can’t understand what’s not to like, especially when you seemed to have warmed to weaker Marvel titles.

And Blanchet is fantastic...

10 minutes ago, Delargey said:

She's still not that interesting a villian just generic bad guy...destroy the world + cgi fight scene.

Marvel"s villains are still the weakest part of the MCU.

The latter point is completely valid.

But I would maintain Hel is fabulous. She has a clear motivation for her actions and Blanchet chews the scenery admirably. Basically the Thor films have given us the only engaging villains in the MCU

Killmonger is the best villian, Michael B Jordon's charismatic performance probably helped with that.

Blanchet was great and was clearly enjoying herself but as a character she could have been better or been given more to do, mostly she just sat in the throneroom monologueing.

I dunno, I didn't like Ragnarok, but the humour I did. That whole scene was nothing, that additional character nothing and unnecessary, her history nothing, her ark nothing. So Thor hitting himself with a ball woke me up again. And after rewatching the first Thor I'm not sure if i can go back to portentous earnest superhero films. I couldn't care less about their journey. I did prefer the grander less one dimensional direction though. 

I measure all pain against this really:

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Oof, this one burns me. That is a perfect example of everything that didn't work in Thor. Thats 20 very very painful seconds indeed

I do think it's just me sometimes ... The moment in AA when Cap says he gets the reference about winged monkeys, that was an awesome gag for a mainstream film, so nicely played out. Even Hulk smashing the shit out of Loki - different style of humour, it was unexpected and came v late in the film and it really worked. But this movie just tries to rewrite the characters in a way that's so staggeringly inconsistent, with schoolboy gags that are painfully begging you to find them endearing ... just left me totally cold. Still the closest match to me for this movie i Ghostbusters, tried to be all very casual and ad libbed but just came off looking like the most self indulgent waste of money in years

9 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Dead inside.

Sorry I really don’t get it. It’s hilarious, charming and just a neon tinged realisation of silver age comics and I really can’t understand what’s not to like, especially when you seemed to have warmed to weaker Marvel titles.

And Blanchet is fantastic...

Which movies did I say that were weaker ... ?

4 hours ago, linkster said:

I do think it's just me sometimes ... The moment in AA when Cap says he gets the reference about winged monkeys, that was an awesome gag for a mainstream film, so nicely played out. Even Hulk smashing the shit out of Loki - different style of humour, it was unexpected and came v late in the film and it really worked. But this movie just tries to rewrite the characters in a way that's so staggeringly inconsistent, with schoolboy gags that are painfully begging you to find them endearing ... just left me totally cold. Still the closest match to me for this movie i Ghostbusters, tried to be all very casual and ad libbed but just came off looking like the most self indulgent waste of money in years

I get that humor subjective but the ball gag isn't rubbish, it's slapstick sure, but it subverts the viewer's expectations and turns a moment that in other movies would have been earnest and heroic into one that is silly. The general cinema audience wouldn't have seen that coming.

I agree that they've changed Thor massively from the first movie but I think this latest version is more interesting than the Shakespearian Thor from the earlier movies, and it makes sense that his time on earth would change Thor's character.

4 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I get that humor subjective but the ball gag isn't rubbish, it's slapstick sure, but it subverts the viewer's expectations and turns a moment that in other movies would have been earnest and heroic into one that is silly. The general cinema audience wouldn't have seen that coming.

I agree that they've changed Thor massively from the first movie but I think this latest version is more interesting than the Shakespearian Thor from the earlier movies, and it makes sense that his time on earth would change Thor's character.

Hardly subverts it when the opening scene with him spinning slowly on a rope talking trash to a demon already did that

i known its subjective just a shame I thought this franchise started with some genuine wit and intelligence 

10 minutes ago, linkster said:

i known its subjective just a shame I thought this franchise started with some genuine wit and intelligence 

And this,  @Illyria,  is why I'm taking issue with linkster's posts in this thread. His post are insults to those who really enjoyed the film, thinly veiled (if at all) as critique. 

Linkster, you're borderline trolling now. 

No sorry, I think you're overly sensitive because you enjoyed the movie so much. Don't overinterpret, I don't think he is saying anyone who enjoyed the film's humour isn't intelligent, if that's what you're suggesting. He is still merely stating his opinion and he's given other reasons above as to why he has this opinion. But I'm out now, think he can fend for himself ;)

23 minutes ago, linkster said:

Hardly subverts it when the opening scene with him spinning slowly on a rope talking trash to a demon already did that

Really? C'mon on, buddy...I don't think the fact that the film subverts the standard heroic expectations at in the opening scene detracts from a joke similar 40mins later. You don't know when the scenes will play out as you would expect or when the cue's are just misdirects.

If you really what to apply that as a criticism then it would equally apply to the earlier Thor movies, a lot of the humour comes from Thor's fish out of waterness in the first one (often well done, though).

The franchise changed from being having gags in it to an out and out comedy, so I get that it might not be your thing but the jokes in it are mostly well crafted, and the movie certainly is an improvement on Thor 2.

Just now, Delargey said:

Really? C'mon on, buddy...I don't think the fact that the film subverts the standard heroic expectations at in the opening scene detracts from a joke similar 40mins later. You don't know when the scenes will play out as you would expect or when the cue's are just misdirects.

If you really what to apply that as a criticism then it would equally apply to the earlier Thor movies, a lot of the humour comes from Thor's fish out of waterness in the first one (often well done, though).

The franchise changed from being having gags in it to an out and out comedy, so I get that it might not be your thing but the jokes in it are mostly well crafted, and the movie certainly is an improvement on Thor 2.

No arguments about Thor 2, that was an absolute crock of shit

I think it's almost.. a compliment that this film is more divisive than other Marvel stuff. Like, of course it is: they gave it to a director with a forte in slightly surreal, mumbly humour and let him loose with it. In order for Waititi to make a film that I absolutely loved - as in, he made a film that felt like it was aimed directly at someone who adored What We Do In The Shadows, ie. me - he had to make a film that some others would probably hate.  The Whedon-esque humour of the Avengers probably has a broader appeal, but god we've had an awful lot of that now.

Other people's tastes in films is subjective, sure; but other people's sense of humour can be just.. a whole different planet away. 

8 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I think it's almost.. a compliment that this film is more divisive than other Marvel stuff. Like, of course it is: they gave it to a director with a forte in slightly surreal, mumbly humour and let him loose with it. In order for Waititi to make a film that I absolutely loved - as in, he made a film that felt like it was aimed directly at someone who adored What We Do In The Shadows, ie. me - he had to make a film that some others would probably hate.  The Whedon-esque humour of the Avengers probably has a broader appeal, but god we've had an awful lot of that now.

Other people's tastes in films is subjective, sure; but other people's sense of humour can be just.. a whole different planet away. 

Broader appeal? Come on, Ragnarok is designed to appeal to everyone. Literally a drooling infant would find it funny. Whedon’s stuff ar least  requires a decent appreciation of pop culture 

I love What We Do in The Shadows, I loved this movie for its humor and colorful design but wish it had a bit more going on plotwise, Marvel really need to sort out its third act/villains.

I thought the movie was oddly lacking tension between Thor and Hel, considering he murdered three of his childhood friends...Tony Starks reaction to finding out Bucky (though brainwashed) killed his mother was great, I wish they had added some of that to the film.

Just now, linkster said:

Broader appeal? Come on, Ragnarok is designed to appeal to everyone. Whedon’s stuff ar least  requires a decent appreciation of pop culture 

What? No, absolutely not. Whedonish humour isn't about pop culture: it's wisecracks and having characters play off each other with fun barbs and comebacks.

Waititi is much more about being awkward in surreal and over the top settings. I love, say, hunt for the wildepeople, but again, it's not humour for everyone. And throwing in an homage to the willy wonka nightmare boat sequence in a sci-fi film.

2 minutes ago, linkster said:

Broader appeal? Come on, Ragnarok is designed to appeal to everyone. Whedon’s stuff ar least  requires a decent appreciation of pop culture 

This is so subjective, it's utterly pointless. Both Whedon and Whaititi are great at their own brand of humor, you might not like their individual tastes (Whedon's pop culture references or Whaititi's oddball humor) but they can both craft good jokes which have broad appeal and are equally sophisticated.

Just now, jonny_rat said:

What? No, absolutely not. Whedonish humour isn't about pop culture: it's wisecracks and having characters play off each other with fun barbs and comebacks.

Waititi is much more about being awkward in surreal and over the top settings. I love, say, hunt for the wildepeople, but again, it's not humour for everyone. And throwing in an homage to the willy wonka nightmare boat sequence in a sci-fi film.

See earlier comment about Cap getting the Wizard of Oz reference. Didn’t need to be explained. Same reason I enjoy Deadpool more than the more I guess gentle all inclusive humour on show here.

Just now, Delargey said:

This is so subjective, it's utterly pointless. Both Whedon and Whaititi are great at their own brand of humor, you might not like their individual tastes (Whedon's pop culture references or Whaititi's oddball humor) but they can both craft good jokes which have broad appeal and are equally sophisticated.

It’s just a discussion FFS, not trying to change your mind