Jump to content

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread


Nathan Wind
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have over time for some reason or another lost the ability to enjoy playing games on emulators (just feels like a hollow experience and I am convinced I can percieve some tiny amount of lag, which may or may not exist) and have recently been considering buying some neo geo hardware.

 

Aes carts are out of the question due to price.

Mvs likewise due to the hassle and cost of getting a consolised mvs.

 

So... I've been thinking of getting a neo geo cd. I live in Japan and they seem cheap enough. I know there's a lot of hate for this thing online due to load times etc but having read more about it seems the load times are only a major problem for later fighting games. I love the neo geo non-fighting games but am not really into fighters (bit embarassed to mention that in a post saying I'm considering buying a neo geo).

 

Just want to play stuff like the first two metal slug games, neo drift out, windjammers etc on legit hardware. Shame shock troopers doesnt seem to be on the cd.

 

I currently play Metal Slug on saturn, which feels better to me than using mame on my pc, which I admit may be in part down to the difference in the crt tv I use with the saturn, and the monitor i use with my pc. 

 

What do those in the know think about the difference between emulators/ps3 versions etc and the real hardware in terms of gameplay experience (as opposed to the joy of inserting carts etc).

Is the difference i feel just a figment of my imagination? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, partious said:

I have over time for some reason or another lost the ability to enjoy playing games on emulators (just feels like a hollow experience and I am convinced I can percieve some tiny amount of lag, which may or may not exist) and have recently been considering buying some neo geo hardware.

 

Aes carts are out of the question due to price.

Mvs likewise due to the hassle and cost of getting a consolised mvs.

 

So... I've been thinking of getting a neo geo cd. I live in Japan and they seem cheap enough. I know there's a lot of hate for this thing online due to load times etc but having read more about it seems the load times are only a major problem for later fighting games. I love the neo geo non-fighting games but am not really into fighters (bit embarassed to mention that in a post saying I'm considering buying a neo geo).

 

Just want to play stuff like the first two metal slug games, neo drift out, windjammers etc on legit hardware. Shame shock troopers doesnt seem to be on the cd.

 

I currently play Metal Slug on saturn, which feels better to me than using mame on my pc, which I admit may be in part down to the difference in the crt tv I use with the saturn, and the monitor i use with my pc. 

 

What do those in the know think about the difference between emulators/ps3 versions etc and the real hardware in terms of gameplay experience (as opposed to the joy of inserting carts etc).

Is the difference i feel just a figment of my imagination? :)

 

I know exactly what you mean. AES games are lovely, but even the worst games are very expensive and out of reach. When people are paying 70 or 80 for utter junk like "top players golf" or "Riding Hero", most regular people are simply priced out.

 

MVS games are more affordable, but the ugly hassal of setting up a CMVS - and the lack of display boxes puts people off.

 

The alternative, if you want to play on SNK hardwaye, is the gem of a machine that is neo geo CD. It is my personal solution to the above problems.

 

Machines are affordable, though pay a bit more for a good, clean boxed model with 2 NCD pads - dont cheap out.

 

Here are my findings. If you are old enough to remember spectrum games, then loading on NCD will not be an issue for you. If you are used to Playstation games, loading will not be an issue for you. If you want instant gaming like cartridge machines, the NCD will in no way provide that experience.

 

You have to choose your games wisely. If you want to play King of Fighters 98, the NCD will be a painful experience. But if you are smart and find games that load levels and let you play until the next one, you hardly notice they are on CD.

 

Some games are fantastic on CD, and im going to make your day. Neo Drift out is the best game on the CD. The load times inbetween levels are less than 10 seconds. Its utterly brilliant and the very best game on the system.

 

The early AES games like Nam 1975 have an initial load, then nothing. Windjammers is also fantastic on the system. Most shooters are good. Metal Slug 1 is a fantastic CD game.

 

Some games are middling, like Last Blade 1. Perfectly playable but with loads

 

Neo turf masters has to load each hole, i find it a chore, but better than paying £5000 for an AES version. Playing converts of bootlegs on AES is not for me, may as well play them on emulator on the PC.

 

Some thing to remember, the NCD has fantastic RGB out on all models. Use the same cable as you do for an AES.

 

Also, and this is up to you, you can play copied CDRs on your neo geo CD.

 

Is is better playing a Neo Geo CD on a tv via RGB than playing on emulator (be it PC, saturn, Xbox etc). Heck YES!!!!!!!!!!!

 

You get the full SNK experience, but you MUST get the neo geo CD controllers. You can also use the AES arcade stick as well, but they are not as nice as the CD controllers.

 

All this talk, im now of to play neo drift out on my TV, using a CD controller! Bliss.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ulala said:

 

I know exactly what you mean. AES games are lovely, but even the worst games are very expensive and out of reach. When people are paying 70 or 80 for utter junk like "top players golf" or "Riding Hero", most regular people are simply priced out.

 

MVS games are more affordable, but the ugly hassal of setting up a CMVS - and the lack of display boxes puts people off.

 

The alternative, if you want to play on SNK hardwaye, is the gem of a machine that is neo geo CD. It is my personal solution to the above problems.

 

Machines are affordable, though pay a bit more for a good, clean boxed model with 2 NCD pads - dont cheap out.

 

Here are my findings. If you are old enough to remember spectrum games, then loading on NCD will not be an issue for you. If you are used to Playstation games, loading will not be an issue for you. If you want instant gaming like cartridge machines, the NCD will in no way provide that experience.

 

You have to choose your games wisely. If you want to play King of Fighters 98, the NCD will be a painful experience. But if you are smart and find games that load levels and let you play until the next one, you hardly notice they are on CD.

 

Some games are fantastic on CD, and im going to make your day. Neo Drift out is the best game on the CD. The load times inbetween levels are less than 10 seconds. Its utterly brilliant and the very best game on the system.

 

The early AES games like Nam 1975 have an initial load, then nothing. Windjammers is also fantastic on the system. Most shooters are good. Metal Slug 1 is a fantastic CD game.

 

Some games are middling, like Last Blade 1. Perfectly playable but with loads

 

Neo turf masters has to load each hole, i find it a chore, but better than paying £5000 for an AES version. Playing converts of bootlegs on AES is not for me, may as well play them on emulator on the PC.

 

Some thing to remember, the NCD has fantastic RGB out on all models. Use the same cable as you do for an AES.

 

Also, and this is up to you, you can play copied CDRs on your neo geo CD.

 

Is is better playing a Neo Geo CD on a tv via RGB than playing on emulator (be it PC, saturn, Xbox etc). Heck YES!!!!!!!!!!!

 

You get the full SNK experience, but you MUST get the neo geo CD controllers. You can also use the AES arcade stick as well, but they are not as nice as the CD controllers.

 

All this talk, im now of to play neo drift out on my TV, using a CD controller! Bliss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

After reading this post, I feel there is a trip to Den Den Town on the cards after work some day this week :D

 

Particularly happy to hear the positive comments about the neo geo cd controller. Have never held it and didn`t know what to make of it based on appearance alone. Was thinking I might have to buy an aes stick. Having read your positive comments I`m wondering, is the d pad/stick on the cd controller anything like the one on the NGPC? I have one of those from back in the day (unfortunately in my parents house on the other side of the world) and I think it is my favourite form of direction pad type thing ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, partious said:

 

 

After reading this post, I feel there is a trip to Den Den Town on the cards after work some day this week :D

 

Particularly happy to hear the positive comments about the neo geo cd controller. Have never held it and didn`t know what to make of it based on appearance alone. Was thinking I might have to buy an aes stick. Having read your positive comments I`m wondering, is the d pad/stick on the cd controller anything like the one on the NGPC? I have one of those from back in the day (unfortunately in my parents house on the other side of the world) and I think it is my favourite form of direction pad type thing ever.

 

The AES is fantastic, and if i was a millionaire id have a lovely complete collection of AES carts, but at the moment i have a small collection of AES games i want to play (and can afford to play) and use the NCD as my go to machine of choice. I paid 200 for mine this year, boxed in mint, but you can find them half that price. You should also get an AES/ NCD rgb scart cable to get that perfect picture from it. They are cheap,  about 10,  so an essential purchase and can be used on an AES too.

 

The NCD controller is better than the AES arcade stick. In fact, its one of the best controllers ever made. I am happy to confirm that the d-pad is of the clicky microswitched type, similar to the NGPC only better. I use it for all my neo geo gaming, even fighting games, because you dont need to be at a desk or balance that AES stick on your knees.

 

The best NCD games can cost a small fortune, so be aware that if you want original disks, it is still not a cheap option, but more a "cheaper" option. But if you want to try a game, instead of getting a MVS to AES convertor and a 161 in 1 cart, you can just burn a cd. They work in an identical way to a real cd.

 

Highlights for me are:

 

Neo Drift Out

Metal Slug 1 & 2

Pulstar/ Aero Fighters x2

Windjammers

Neo Turf Masters

 

All the early games, like Magician Lord, Nam 1977, Baseball Stars x3, Super Spy etc load in 1 go and work perfectly

 

Lots of games load at the start and then in between levels, Metal Slug 1 is a good example of this. Its about 10 seconds per mission. Neo Drift out does this, but about 5 seconds per course.

 

If you can put up with a couple of bigger loads: Last Blade 1, Early KOF games, AOF games, Samurai Showdowns are very playable. Some purists complain that a few animation frames are lost, but i havent really noticed. You gain on the soundtracks though, and the NCD can play the music without loading the game as a nice bonus feature. Its also worth mentioning that there is no region locking on the CDs whatsoever, the machine BIOS chooses the language/ blood etc. There is an easy mod that doesnt involve chips or anything like that to change the region of the machine so all your JP cds will play as European or US versions or vice versa.

 

The only problem with a NCD is not the loading times, but the fact that Shock Troopers is not available, i LOVE that game.

 

If you have any questions about it - just ask.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Emulation with CRT shaders is pretty much 1:1 with the real hardware, better even if you take into account the CRT tweaks you can do. I was thinking I'd want another AES or a cabinet for our new place but I'm not going to bother seeing as our new TV runs at 21ms pixel latency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kernow said:

The neo cd pad is garbage and nowhere near as good as the stick! 

 

I can understand you saying that the stick is better than the cd pad, but not that it is "garbage". 

 

Im at odds to understand your reasons for saying so, when you usually come across as a reasonable forum member. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Because it is garbage. I guess I'm used to sticks though. But it isn't as good as the ngpc stick, it doesn't even click or feel the same. 

 

Thats odd, as the ncd pad I have right in front of me clicks with the micro switches inside it. Are we talking about the same thing here?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dataDave said:

I agree. It's one of the worst official pads I can think of. Down there with the Jaguar and the Amiga CD32. The actual control pad has always felt too light on all the pads I've tried. I think the NGPC one spoiled us.

 

I'm having real trouble squaring this circle. There is no way the ncd pad is "one of the worst". Its brilliant. It has a lovely micro switched stick.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dataDave said:

Emulation with CRT shaders is pretty much 1:1 with the real hardware, better even if you take into account the CRT tweaks you can do. I was thinking I'd want another AES or a cabinet for our new place but I'm not going to bother seeing as our new TV runs at 21ms pixel latency.

 

 Like I said, maybe it's in my head but I have yet to play any form of 2d emulation for a fast paced game that feels 100% right to me if I am used to playing the same game on original hardware.

Even for snes and megadrive.

I have sat down with a snes running a game on my crt and my powerful pc running the same game side by side on an emulator and decided that the snes feels better.

Likewise with arcade shmups on my saturn vs mame. Not that I needed a side by side comparison to show me that something like Gunbird is laggy on mame compared to saturn.

Like I said, even that saturn port of Metal Slug feels way better to play than any emulator I have access to.

 

I am willing to accept that this may be down to an issue with my pc setup/monitor/controller lag or something (or might just be a figment of my imagination). Probably easier for me to just buy a ngcd than try to create a zero lag setup on my pc at this stage though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kernow said:

Maybe mine was knackered but I found it soft and unresponsive. It's not as nice as the ngpc one. 

 

Well that would explain it, there are worn out pads on the market that lose their clickyness and it could be that you had one of them.

 

they should be really pin sharp, and move with that lovely micro switched clicky sound. You should hunt down a good one on fleabay for your Neo geo collection as working ones are very very good to play through the non fighting games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bought a neo geo cd.

One controller and all cables for 9800 yen. Dont want more boxes and nobody to play neogeo with anyway, my wife only plays Nintendo games and I have no friends :D

 

Having checked a few shops I can confirm that there are nice clicky pads akin to the ngpc pad (the one I got) and then other ones that have no click at all and I imagine would feel awful to use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, partious said:

Just bought a neo geo cd.

One controller and all cables for 9800 yen. Dont want more boxes and nobody to play neogeo with anyway, my wife only plays Nintendo games and I have no friends :D

 

Having checked a few shops I can confirm that there are nice clicky pads akin to the ngpc pad (the one I got) and then other ones that have no click at all and I imagine would feel awful to use.

 

At that price, you got a bargain! 

 

Im glad that you have a good working pad, it would be interesting to find your opinion in contrast to the forum members who described it as "garbage" or "it's the worst official pad I can think of". What are your thoughts?

 

what games are you playing, and how are you finding those load times?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2016 at 19:08, ulala said:

 

At that price, you got a bargain! 

 

Im glad that you have a good working pad, it would be interesting to find your opinion in contrast to the forum members who described it as "garbage" or "it's the worst official pad I can think of". What are your thoughts?

 

what games are you playing, and how are you finding those load times?

 

 

I have played Neo Drift Out, Metal Slug 1 and 2, and Windjammers on the NGCD.

 

I think the controller is excellent. The microswitched clicky controller feels infinitely better than using the ps3 pad in Neo Geo Station games (which I own several of but wasn't satisfied with). Makes it a lot easier to spray bullets in an arc to hit certain enemies in Metal Slug, something I found tricky with the horrible PS3 d pad.

Saturn has a better pad than ps3, so I was content enough with that for MS on saturn, but I definitely prefer the NGCD controller.

 

Despite owning sticks for several consoles, I usually prefer using a pad, just for convenience really.

 

The load times are perfectly acceptable to me. No worse than many ps1 and saturn games.

Metal Slug load times after the initial load feel similar to to the saturn one and MS2 loading feels less intrusive than Metal Slug X on ps1 (a rotten port that I bought because it was cheap).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, kernow said:

Technically the best scrolling fighter is sengoku 3 but it can get dull. 

 

As for SF2 clones, well, learn kof98 - you'll be glad you did. Otherwise maybe breakers or karnovs revenge? (Both average really)

 

Thanks for the recommendation of sengoku 3

 

i have kof 98 and love it, it's the best fighting game on the AES by far. But im looking for the best clone of sf2, with similar fighters and shape of moves.

 

i will check out karnov, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my AES in 2006 and only picked up KOF98, Windjammers and Last Blade before I started thinking MVS. I bought a Super MVS Convertor 2 and that has been pretty awesome, although I think MVS stuff has hiked up a bit in price since then. All my MVS games are in shockboxes with printed inlays from southtown-homebrew. Although I haven't bought any games for years and years. These days I'd probably get a consolised MVS if the MVS adapters are silly money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can get the latest revision of the Magickey adapter and a 161-in-1 MVS cart as a brand new bundle direct from China for £350 posted.  That's probably what I'll end up doing.  Not sure a flashcart is the right solution for me on reflection.  I've already made £150 selling off a few of the cheaper games on eBay so it wouldn't take long to get that money together by thinning the collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.