Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Where’s a good place to get an AES? i’m also considering the X. Very different beasts, I know. 

If you are not bothered about playing on a CRT I would recommend the Arcade Stick Pro and do the Hylo hack on it and maybe even swap the buttons out and stick although that is not really needed as they are good anyway. I had a AES at launch and owned some of the more expensive carts and the Arcade Stick Pro is just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper.

1 minute ago, Spoonman said:

I suppose an alternative method would be to buy ACA on my switch and use my nice stick on that...

Yep, good idea, and the games go on sale a fair bit as well. I am not sure how many are available now, but I think most of the good ones are on there.

On 29/05/2020 at 11:08, Spartan said:

Thanks, yeah its something I cobbled together out of boredom during lockdown, only thing i really needed was a button layout template. Its my own design otherwise.

How did you wire it up for two different systems? Any PCBs inside?

2 hours ago, Sumire said:

Yep, good idea, and the games go on sale a fair bit as well. I am not sure how many are available now, but I think most of the good ones are on there.

A huge amount of the Neo Geo library is available as ACA downloads. Prob most of it, I’d hazard a guess (with obvious licence-problematic stuff like SVC SNK Vs Capcom not available).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives

Having recently acquired an AES via this very forum (broken then fixed it), and being aware of the expensive nature of the games since forever, I was still shocked by the prices of some of them. If you want to actually play the games rather than put them on a shelf and show them off to people on the Internet, real hardware is not a sensible way to do it. MVS games to be played via a converter (which generally are by no means hard to come by) are now climbing in price also. When they were actually obtainable for sensible money in the early 2000s I ignored them as I had played most of the games on an emulator and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Even if you can stomach paying hundreds/thousands of pounds for some of the better games you have the fairly limited representation of genres to deal with, and if you don't like fighting games your choices are very limited if you want something that is actually fun to play and not designed to rob 90s teenagers of their money in arcades.

It is nice to have the console however, but that is a nostalgia thing for me as I always wanted one as a kid and was never going to be able to afford it.

15 hours ago, Spoonman said:

How did you wire it up for two different systems? Any PCBs inside?

The neo geo side is easy, there's no board, just wired straight to the db15 socket in the correct order. Then a standard db15 lead plus in and goes to the neo geo.

The Saturn side has a third party pad I sacrificed and soldered wires from the pads buttons and directional pads to the stick and buttons. It's short lead then terminates at a DB9 connector and I built a custom DB9 to Saturn cable with the remaining lead from the pad.

Just don't plug it into both consoles athe same time. Ive still to build a usb converter for the neo geo side to be able to use it on my pc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 00:48, Spartan said:

The neo geo side is easy, there's no board, just wired straight to the db15 socket in the correct order. Then a standard db15 lead plus in and goes to the neo geo.

The Saturn side has a third party pad I sacrificed and soldered wires from the pads buttons and directional pads to the stick and buttons. 

Soz for the late callback, but how did you do this, ie turn a pcb designed for rubber conductive contacts to traditional arcade buttons?

Do you just solder one output of the fight stick button to one side of the contact area, then the other output to the other side? 

Basically yes. Each button pad will have a signal and ground contact. When you bridge the two you register a button press. You can either tap off both sides or just tap off the signal side and run a common ground from another point. 

once wired in the physical button does exactly the same as rubber pad button and grounds the signal wire when pressed. 

for a neogeo stick it’s easier than for a Saturn pad as the neogeo just uses discrete signal lines directly to the db15 connector. The Saturn pad uses encoding to transmit all the buttons over fewer wires hence you need to hack a cheap pad for the encoder. 

On 23/03/2021 at 19:48, Treble said:

Soz for the late callback, but how did you do this, ie turn a pcb designed for rubber conductive contacts to traditional arcade buttons?

Do you just solder one output of the fight stick button to one side of the contact area, then the other output to the other side? 

I got somewhat lucky with the pad I used as a donor, it had test pads I could solder too but I've found that you can adapt most pads easily enough. I've used a few controllers in the past the same way. The carbon pad can be scrapped off the pcb usually, then just solder a wire to each side or if there's a common ground, just the one side then link all the buttons together like Ninja said above.

I'm quite tempted by a Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro. I lusted after a neo Geo as a teenager, but was unable to afford one. Unfortunately the same still seems to be the case, so an arcade stick pro seems like a reasonably priced way of having a neo geo-ish experience, particularly with the hack that lets you put all the games on it.

The price from UK based retailers/sellers seems to be around £150, but from Amazon.com it comes to less than £100 including shipping. However, I don't know what the post Brexit importing situation is like. Am I going to get stung with fees if I import one from the US?

On 26/03/2021 at 12:03, dug said:

I'm quite tempted by a Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro. I lusted after a neo Geo as a teenager, but was unable to afford one. Unfortunately the same still seems to be the case, so an arcade stick pro seems like a reasonably priced way of having a neo geo-ish experience, particularly with the hack that lets you put all the games on it.

The price from UK based retailers/sellers seems to be around £150, but from Amazon.com it comes to less than £100 including shipping. However, I don't know what the post Brexit importing situation is like. Am I going to get stung with fees if I import one from the US?

Double check what the actual amazon basket says but if you are buying from amazon direct (and not a marketplace seller) then they normally charge all duties up front. I’m pretty sure it normally says something along the lines of “includes fees and import duty deposit”.  I’ve bought a few things from amazon uk and Amazon japan and never had anything extra to pay, though I haven’t bought anything this year.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally got hold of a Neo SD Pro (AES) with a microsd card full of AES and CD games.

Hooked it up to the Retrotink 5x Pro. Glorious. Just need to get some extender leads and I'll be in heaven.

I wonder if I should think about selling the 17 AES games I managed to amass.

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

Finally got hold of a Neo SD Pro (AES) with a microsd card full of AES and CD games.

Hooked it up to the Retrotink 5x Pro. Glorious. Just need to get some extender leads and I'll be in heaven.

I wonder if I should think about selling the 17 AES games I managed to amass.

no. Sit on them, like an investment.

ps. I’ll give you £50 for riding hero, if you have it.

Spoiler

(EBay) Price has tripled in the last few years

• 5 months later...