Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

On 22/03/2020 at 14:50, Jei said:

I have more Neo Geo CDs if anyone wants one? Top quality, perfect lasers (for those wanting to use CD-Rs). :)

do you do repairs? I’ve got three, none of them work...

I’ll get back to everyone properly probably tomorrow morning but yes I do repairs and recaps etc. I suspect there would be a delay in actually obtaining parts from my usual supplier at the moment though.

Was the neo Geo less powerful that capcom street fighter 2 hardware (think it was cps2 ?) Non of the fighting games feel as smooth as street fighter, even mark of the wolves. Or maybe it's just me.

On 22/03/2020 at 14:50, Jei said:

I have more Neo Geo CDs if anyone wants one? Top quality, perfect lasers (for those wanting to use CD-Rs). :)

Can you replace a laser? I've got a system that was having trouble reading discs, I got one from Aliexpress a goo dfew years ago, it didn't work, so it's been sat back in it's box for maybe 4 years, could do the swap myself if you've got a source of decent lasers ;)

On 23/03/2020 at 23:20, MikeBeaver said:

Can you replace a laser? I've got a system that was having trouble reading discs, I got one from Aliexpress a goo dfew years ago, it didn't work, so it's been sat back in it's box for maybe 4 years, could do the swap myself if you've got a source of decent lasers ;)

i did the same, swapped parts with my good one and it was the board that had gone. Hence its now got the SD loader going in it.

pic is latest test build

sdtest1.jpg

On 24/03/2020 at 05:52, Jei said:

I’ll get back to everyone properly probably tomorrow morning but yes I do repairs and recaps etc. I suspect there would be a delay in actually obtaining parts from my usual supplier at the moment though.

Do you recap PC Engines, Game Gears etc?

Finally in my hands, thanks to simon and furrtek for sorting this all out for me.

I havent got my working cd with me, but if someone wants to ask me how fast it loads just ask away. But, i would like a comparison against a normal cd.

neogeoSD.jpg

My Neo Geo CD turned up today after just 2 days, Japanese version, £159 quid delivered with King of Fighters 95 disk only, a pad and power supply. Dug out a stepdown and it boots up just fine, may swap to a UK replacement one in time. The seller said he thought down direction on the pad was flaky but ive been using it and cant find a single issue. Works just fine.

I ripped it open earlier and soldered in a jump wire so its now a USA region console and the onscreen language is all in english, burned a few CDR's and they all work a treat. Now to find a RGB scart cable

5 hours ago, kernow said:

retro gaming cables 

Found them literally minutes after posting. Bought and on its way. I was expecting to have some bad load times but from what I've played, they are more than acceptable. 

I'd love an AES but this will more than do for now. The pad is rather lovely.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Found them literally minutes after posting. Bought and on its way. I was expecting to have some bad load times but from what I've played, they are more than acceptable. 

I'd love an AES but this will more than do for now. The pad is rather lovely.

The CD pad is definitely the best of the generation - even better than the AES pad that i find spongy and of course far too big

2 hours ago, ulala said:

The CD pad is definitely the best of the generation - even better than the AES pad that i find spongy and of course far too big

The Kidney, right? I know you ain’t talking about the stick...

cd pad so clicky !

9 minutes ago, SeanR said:

cd pad so clicky !

Just wish the buttons were micro switched too. I love the clicky dpad, the Neo Geo Colour Pocket I have has one

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

cd pad so clicky !

sorry, i mean the AES standard arcade stick. I just dont like it.

the cd pad is god tier

• 3 weeks later...

The English AES manual for Metal Slug is apparently worth more than my entire AES collection. :lol: 

I remember seeing the Japanese boxed version at a local cash converters for £250 in the early 2000s, I thought it was way overpriced. :doh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Slug-1-US-Euro-English-AES-Manual-Neo-Geo-NGH-System-Console-SNK-Shmup/392569357614?hash=item5b66f5052e:g:cxEAAOSwcV5d5wSz

2009445777_Screenshot2020-04-28at15_32_55.thumb.png.cb48a4eed480b199d500c59ca2ec6e09.png

Back a few weeks ago at the start of the lockdown I bought a Neo Geo CD, always wanted an AES but could never justify the cost, so went with the CD as it was much cheaper, could run backups and I'm planning on getting a NEO CD SD loader fitted. 

Now the pad is amazing but I wanted a stick. I didnt want to spend loads on getting a decent snk stick so I built my own as I've time to spare ATM. It's a pretty simple build all in.

And yes, it's got 8 buttons because I'm gonna hack in a Saturn pad as well.

_20200429_165750.JPG

25 minutes ago, kernow said:

Really nice! Great work

I need to pick up a cd pad bit I'm not paying £50 or so 

Cheers, been a while since I did anything like this. Least now I can play two player on it. I prefer the proper arcade clicky / clunky sticks and buttons to the spongy ones most console arcade sticks use (besides the snk one anyway). The wood sides are cut in a way to angle it slightly too. I've adapted an extension cable too and fitted a db15 plug on back so it's detachable.

A neo geo controller is easy enough to wire up, just a straight circuit into the console, no chips. This can be used on a supergun if I ever get one. May change one row of buttons for the snk colours as well. Now I need to hack a crappy third party Saturn pad and wire in its buttons. 

• 4 weeks later...

Random question, can anyone confirm if this is a legit unibios, or I'm guessing a really old version? (It's on my AES) The only way to access it is as per the screenshot, rather than the hold down ABC at startup as suggested on the official unibios page 

IMG20200525180258.jpg

12 minutes ago, SeanR said:

isn't that a unibios set to MVS mode in an AES, so it does that for credits?

Theres a mode set option at the top of the main menu, I can choose from normal home use, devel. Home use or devel. MVS. Presumably home use is AES mode? Or am I missing something? 

Also, there's no unibios logo on the splash screen, just the normal neo Geo one 

43 minutes ago, thegreathopper said:

That’s a not Razoolas bios, completely different thing this is the debug from Neo-geo.com and was out before the Unibios.

For some reason I have a few of these and about 10 original bios chips.

Thank you! I did wonder why it looked so different