IGNORED

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

41 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Recently I've had an urge to buy a Neo Geo in some form but keep being put off by price. So I've bought a few ACA Neo Geo Arcade titles on my switch to try and placate it (it's not working so far).

I'm still needing a decent stick to play them on mind as the switch controllers are doing nothing for me, any recommendations?

What about one of these with an emulator if you are struggling for funds. It's of the Neo Geo X hardware which is very expensive but the sticks were quite good and it's USB so will work on everything. Or this

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

Recently I've had an urge to buy a Neo Geo in some form but keep being put off by price. So I've bought a few ACA Neo Geo Arcade titles on my switch to try and placate it (it's not working so far).

I'm still needing a decent stick to play them on mind as the switch controllers are doing nothing for me, any recommendations?

Just bite the bullet and buy one.

I never regret my purchase for a second

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

Depending on the games you're interested in, I'd recommend a Neo Geo CD. It's the cheapest way to play on "real hardware".

The loading times are supposed to be quite bad for later fighting games but for the stuff I was interested in(basically everything other than fighting games), they aren't a big deal. Also, the pad is amazing. My only issue is the lack of Shock Troopers.

20 minutes ago, partious said:

Depending on the games you're interested in, I'd recommend a Neo Geo CD. It's the cheapest way to play on "real hardware".

The loading times are supposed to be quite bad for later fighting games but for the stuff I was interested in(basically everything other than fighting games), they aren't a big deal. Also, the pad is amazing. My only issue is the lack of Shock Troopers.

they are really nice, but nothing beats the AES cartridges.

Paying £100 for a CD isnt the same

The neocd does play CDr and also the NeoCD sd loader is more or less here. This is a pic of my second CD unit which had a dead cd drive and the sd loader installed. Its having a few issues atm, but we think its firmware related

sd loader.jpg

49 minutes ago, bwi said:

The neocd does play CDr and also the NeoCD sd loader is more or less here. This is a pic of my second CD unit which had a dead cd drive and the sd loader installed. Its having a few issues atm, but we think its firmware related

sd loader.jpg

do they load faster?

Seems to be working now, and he seems to think there is a speed increase. But, he hasn't got a system side by side. It seems atm it only likes certain SD cards. I gave him a full size sandisk ultra 128gb for it, and it was a no go, but the micro sd ultra 8gb worked.

sdloader2.jpg

The switch SNK 40th anniversary (digital) collection is half price . I was hovering...

Spoiler

Alpha Mission

Athena

Crystalis

Guerrilla War

Ikari Warriors

Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road

Ikari III: The Rescue

Iron Tank

P.O.W.

Prehistoric Isle

Psycho Soldier

Street Smart

TNKIII

Vanguard

oh.

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

And just like that a Neo Geo AES, unibios, a Neo SD cartridge, hori stick and standard stick pops up on Facebook marketplace 15 minutes from my house

£800 

FFS

Instant purchase

On 29/02/2020 at 21:49, SeanR said:

The switch SNK 40th anniversary (digital) collection is half price . I was hovering...

Reveal hidden contents

Alpha Mission

Athena

Crystalis

Guerrilla War

Ikari Warriors

Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road

Ikari III: The Rescue

Iron Tank

P.O.W.

Prehistoric Isle

Psycho Soldier

Street Smart

TNKIII

Vanguard

oh.

That’s a really well made, lovingly curated retro compilation of games that are mediocre at best and just plain awful at worst. It’s quite an oddity.

6 hours ago, Triple A said:

I got the Steam version plus KoFXIV plus one or two other bits for about three quid, not so long ago. I’m still unsure if it was worth it

if your still unsure you will burn in hell :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a NeoGeo CD off @jei - it has been a revelation. You know when you were little in the 80's and going in arcades and the games were amazing and you'd wistfully talk about how one day, in the far, far future you'd probably be able to buy a machine to play arcade perfect games on? Well, it only took me 30 years...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Look at it! LOOK AT IIIITTTT!

Absolutely lovely.

The thing is; it feels more like playing an arcade machine than anything else I've ever played on. Maybe it's the controller, but it's an amazing experience. Looks great on my crappy 32" trinitron too.

On 22/03/2020 at 14:50, Jei said:

I have more Neo Geo CDs if anyone wants one? Top quality, perfect lasers (for those wanting to use CD-Rs). :)

i may be interested in one as a back up as well, obvs Kern first though.

My Sd loader modded one still doesnt like some sd cards, should be popping around sometime this week to pick it up so will have a good mess with it