Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

ordered some pcb feet for the supergun

ordered a unibios

and that's where the issues begin:

1. PP used the wrong address for no disernable reason, I've emailed razoola, so maybe we can get that resolved

2. it's not a MV-1FZ, it's an MV-1A(CH). Probably makes no difference, but while reading

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS#Introduction

I noticed the presence of a heatsink, and different chip layout, bit of a giveaway :sherlock:

the ebay item says MV-1fz 1f-z or MV-1ACH MOTHERBOARD, and the label said MV1FZ, but for £30...

ps. I asked for the unibios serial to be 8008135, for my son

I have recently been playing The Art of fighting. I have owned it a few times over the years, on the Snes, PS2 as well as on the AES before.

Last week I saw that it was down in price on Xbox live so decided to rebuy. I know it's not the best game, but it will always be a classic for me. The huge characters, the zooming in, the cheesy bonus levels, the wee intros before the fights and of course the whole spirit system which makes you play it slightly differently from other games in the genre. 

I always remember seeing it in C+VG back in the day and being amazed at the screenshots and the sheer size of the fighters. Maybe a lot of it is nostalgia but I still get a lot out of playing it today. 

On 28/08/2019 at 15:39, Spartan said:

Where did you find that SeanR?

And are there more?

more what?

I linked to everything in the post

pcb feet

unibios

MV-1fz 1f-z or MV-1ACH MOTHERBOARD

and today my chip extraction tool arrived, so I've had the BIOS chip out of it's socket already, pending the arrive of the 4.0...

[edit]

and the PSU

Edited by SeanR
Added psu

Composite for the first test. My cheap upscaler is somewhere in the garage, and the telly doesn’t have a SCART socket.

A4D4824B-8945-4C6D-BDFE-7F397F42C964.thumb.jpeg.cdb6b9c5901a30b4b71ccd3ece541691.jpeg

see you on the other side...

[edit]

my tv KNOWS it’s a 240p signal, and I’ve got audio, but no picture. It’s too dark to risk the garage now...

Edited by SeanR
Audio, no picture

RGB SCART into the CRT works fine, I just need to find the remote to disable 16:9 and the OSD...

F62E6AC7-B7E8-45CE-B494-9065FEE7E67A.thumb.jpeg.78c0683eb1071a470d3102619439da92.jpeg

the 161 is flaky as hell, games reset willy-nilly. So I’ll update the BIOS now.

pulstar is blatant, not tried blazing star yet, and viewpoint isn’t all that

prehistoric isle2 is... average

drift out is all that, better than thrash rally, which I tried. as is neo turf masters. Is top player golf on here?

KOF/AOF/SS will be the least played games on this system.

D39052BF-172D-4CF0-9090-E10D5454CABA.thumb.jpeg.fea096f4e2c7e0469db65561216a690f.jpeg

Guess I should try some metal slug before too long...

[edit]

last resort, you bastard!

Edited by SeanR

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 21:08, bwi said:

that's just the 161 with all the fucking KOFs removed...

Spoiler

(I'm joking obviously. It's the 138 with all the KOFS, SS, and AOF removed)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else bought the Neo Geo Arcade stick pro?

I’ve got one and modded the stick and buttons for Seimitsu ones. Also moved the blue button to to be in a different spot so it more matches the original arcade layout. Stick is nice and weighty too.

It looks like they’re drip feeding another 20 games as well as the original 20 with the first 2 being Metal Slug 1 and 2.

It’s also been hacked but I’m not convinced by the hack yet, so just keeping it as it is for now.

479CC842-10C1-440E-A7D3-9E8573255C6D.jpeg

Yea, I’m quite surprised they didn’t offer black. 
The white is very cool though.

Unfortunately 20 years of playing fighting games online against real people means playing fighting games one player isn’t anywhere near as much fun. Will be glad when some others games drop.

9 hours ago, Goemon said:

Anyone else bought the Neo Geo Arcade stick pro?

I’ve got one and modded the stick and buttons for Seimitsu ones. Also moved the blue button to to be in a different spot so it more matches the original arcade layout. Stick is nice and weighty too.

It looks like they’re drip feeding another 20 games as well as the original 20 with the first 2 being Metal Slug 1 and 2.

It’s also been hacked but I’m not convinced by the hack yet, so just keeping it as it is for now.

479CC842-10C1-440E-A7D3-9E8573255C6D.jpeg

Where did you buy it from. I cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks it.

** Scratch that. just seen it finally up for sale on Amazon **

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ulala said:

One thing ive always wanted to know is, wht hasnt someone come up with a better list that the 161 in one cart?

We have had those games for decades, are we stuck with them forever?

Yes.

who wants to put in the work,  to then have it ripped off inside of six months? 

saying that, where’s the knock off neoSD carts?

I've had the 161-1 AES since i mentioned it , works fine.

Been using it to compare against the mister, hasnt blown my system up and has beveled (because some people get hung up on that)edges. Can't moan at all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recently I've had an urge to buy a Neo Geo in some form but keep being put off by price. So I've bought a few ACA Neo Geo Arcade titles on my switch to try and placate it (it's not working so far).

I'm still needing a decent stick to play them on mind as the switch controllers are doing nothing for me, any recommendations?