IGNORED

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

On 15/07/2019 at 22:13, kernow said:

Mutant caterpillar does repairs too. Might be worth an email. I've just upgraded mine to universe bios 4.0 just because I could. 

Had a reply off ian saying he'd take a look at for me. Going to try a new psu and failing that i'm sure ive got a diag rom somewhere, im going to fit it so he has something to go at.

Don't suppose you have heard of anyone wanting to offload a barebones system Kern?

50 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I've been gettting stuck into Last Blade via my Xbox One. Never really played it much before but it really is superb. Feels like Samurai Shodown crossed with Guilty Gear and looks absolutely beautiful. Can see me spending a lot of time with it. 

I can echo something similar.....I bought last blade 2 on Ps4 a little while back.

Jaw dropping. Looks and gameplay.

I printed off a few move sheets and for a better understanding I read a fair bit about it.

My original reaction was WOW. Netplay too!

Although...haven't had a good connection with other people, don't know if it's the connection or too far away, or bad coding....garou...had a few match ups on that and kof97 without issue though.

Also been giving Mutation Nation a lot of time on my Xbox One. 

Mutation Nation was one of the games I always wanted as a teenager so when I had an AES, I had to have my own copy. I ended up selling my AES and collection a few years back as I was moving around a lot from house to house and had far too much stuff. I do emulate some of the Neo Geo stuff, but it's really handy to have it on Xbox One, and they are regularly on sale for about £3.70 a pop. 

It's not the most technical game but there is something satisfying about the combat and I love the chunky graphics and enemy design. It isn't as deep as a lot of it's Capcom counterparts from the same era, but still my favorite genre of game. 

I've been slowly collecting the Neo Geo hamster ports on Switch and it got me wondering, since they're probably done with them now (Samurai 5 was the last release and it was 2+ months ago) I went and checked how much of the library they actually managed to release: 108 or so, that's nearly the whole library but not all, so is there anything worthwhile Hamster didn't get to release? Think they might still do so? The only notable one I can think of is SNK vs Capcom

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

On a similar note, which are the most recommended of the Hamster Switch ports? 

I only have Last Resort, Neo Turf Masters and the Metal Slugs. Are any of the scrolling brawlers worthwhile?

Shock troopers is the best game not on your list. Its fantastic.

Some of the sengoku scrolling brawlers are OK, but i dont rate any of them. Its a poor genre on the 'geo, just like driving games (aside from drift out).

Aero Fighters 2 was one of the nicest surprises for 6 bucks ever in my case. You can play as a dolphin fighter pilot, or a baby and his mother!

maxresdefault.jpg

Aero Fighters 3 less so, they cut back a tad on the humor it seems. Noticed the first is back on the SNES, been meaning to give it a go. They're not overly difficult shooters which is a plus in my case (I love the high score feature of the hamster ports, nearly always play the 1 credit mode)

I thought I was just shit at Samurai Shodown! I play it a lot (used to own aes version) on emulation but I just can't get any good at it against the computer. Still love it though, and the second even more. 

I used to have a 3D0 and had SS on that. It's a surprisingly awesome version and seemed less difficult. 

I’ve got money burning a hole, but really?

http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=578&controller=product&id_lang=1&search_query=slug+collection&results=1

MS 1-5,X on an AES cart for $300 delivered. The purists can start their protestations now!

Also, they have 3 other collections.

SS jpn

FF jpn

FF us

if they did a shooter collections, rather than individual MVS conversions...

Edited by SeanR

17 hours ago, SeanR said:

I’ve got money burning a hole, but really?

http://www.japangameonline.com/index.php?id_product=578&controller=product&id_lang=1&search_query=slug+collection&results=1

MS 1-5,X on an AES cart for $300 delivered. The purists can start their protestations now!

Also, they have 3 other collections.

SS jpn

FF jpn

FF us

if they did a shooter collections, rather than individual MVS conversions...

Whats the point?

May as well get one of those SD carts and have all the games you need.

10 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Always think it looks weird when a screen is smaller than the console it's being used for.

I was going back to how i used to play it when i first got my AES bitd.

For the last 10 years its been used on on a Sony KV29ls30, but for the pic i went old school. Plus those old phillips monitors were (are) lovely

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:32, ulala said:

Whats the point?

May as well get one of those SD carts and have all the games you need.

£300 second hand BIN on the 'bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NeoSD-AES-FLASH-CART-Case-from-Terraonion-for-Use-with-Neo-Neo-AES-Console/173998884886?hash=item2883244816:g:JI4AAOSwl7NdVop~

I've ordered a £33 MV-1ACH instead, so I can use my supergun and my 161-cart.

Is an AES, an MVS, and 3 broken NGCD toploaders excessive?

Edited by SeanR

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

From that ebay auction:

Please note that I never ever got this cart to work correctly with my AES console. There is nothing wrong with my AES (or this flash cart) it's just that there are incompatibility issues with some models of the AES, this has come from Terraonion themselves they even admitted it to me in my various email conversations with them. It is my opinion that this product was rushed to marked and not tested properly. You might find that it will work fine with your AES, but I never had any joy. All I got was garbage on screen when inserted.

If you buy this you will need to register the serial with Terraonion, I will remove the serial from my account so that you will be able to download firmware updates etc. The serial is on the cart but I have removed it from the pictures.

I never realised this about the product, that it only works with certain AES models!

And you need to register the serial to get firmware updates.

All this for hundreds of pounds, forget that!

7 minutes ago, ulala said:

From that ebay auction:

Please note that I never ever got this cart to work correctly with my AES console. There is nothing wrong with my AES (or this flash cart) it's just that there are incompatibility issues with some models of the AES, this has come from Terraonion themselves they even admitted it to me in my various email conversations with them. It is my opinion that this product was rushed to marked and not tested properly. You might find that it will work fine with your AES, but I never had any joy. All I got was garbage on screen when inserted.

If you buy this you will need to register the serial with Terraonion, I will remove the serial from my account so that you will be able to download firmware updates etc. The serial is on the cart but I have removed it from the pictures.

I never realised this about the product, that it only works with certain AES models!

And you need to register the serial to get firmware updates.

All this for hundreds of pounds, forget that!

isn't it just the voltage issue, same as the MVS->AES convertor?

It's the reason why I got a replacement PSU from these guys

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/neo-geo/products/power-supply-for-snk-neo-geo-aes