Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Beautiful set, though I have to say it bothers me more than it should that the Capcom and SNK colours on Cardfighters are the wrong way round ^_^

That's a JPN machine isn't it with the unusual Color logo?

If you decide to part with the SNK Cardfighters I'd be interested :)

20 minutes ago, kernow said:

That's a very good price you paid for all that. I can see about three games which make up the cost alone :)

That was mostly why I nabbed it, it was a Buy it Now or best offer, I didn't hessitate though, just smashed the buy button ( although I did risk it by going through TopCashBack first, I need that 1.01% cashbac, honest :p ) 

I think it's going to remain on the shelf for a while, want to check out Biomotor Unitron first, not too fussed with the card games though, and I'll get bashed for it I know, but I'm not really bothered about Metal Slug 1st mission either having played a lot of it via emulation a while back, but all of that will have to wait as I have now found my old copy of Neo Turf Masters :)

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

It's arrived... I forgot to charge any batteries, will be firing it up shortly though :)
Console is boxed and is in gorgeous condition, the original batteries are still in the box and still wrapped, so of course, I'll be leaving them where they are and using some rechargeables :)

Neo_Pocket.jpg

That's a really good price. I sold my NGPC (boxed but with none of the paperwork); Metal Slug and Dark Arms individually earlier this year for more than what you paid for all of that lot.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

At a rough estimate, I would say there's over £400 of stuff there...

!!!!!! I knew it was a good deal, but no tTHAT good, All I've done is play Turf Masters at work on it all day :)
Might have to see if I can stretch to another copy of Evolution for it now, although it's not going to be even remotely cheap :(

6 minutes ago, klargon said:

Yep, it’s a slimline. Cracking bargain that.

From what I have noticed so far, the button battery cover is slide off instead of needing a coin to open it and the main battery cover is different to the last one I owned, definiteley a Japanese console though, I can't read any of the paperwork in it's box :p

I'm trying to get into the MVS at the moment and I'm going to  be building a supergun over the next few days. I have an MVS motherboard on its way from Hong Kong and a lot of other bits and pieces coming to me separately. I've needed to buy scart to hdmi upscalers, AES arcade sticks from Japan, replacement ball tops, weird atx power supplies that need wiring up manually. Hopefully I've bought the right stuff but finding the info wasn't easy, but the challenge makes it fun.

I bought some games (Metal Slug 1, 2 and Neo Turf Masters) and the Metal Slug had obviously got something wrong with it as it had 2 label stickers, one on top of the other. I could make out  a Z on the label underneath so I assumed it was a reflashed Puzzle Bobble cart, but openeing it up and a bit of research taught me how to identify the EEPROM chips and they were the original Metal Slug ones, so I wonder if someone swapped out a damaged cart.

Things I have found out:

People in the UK don't really do MVS, most of the stuff comes from abroad, particularly Europe

Finding AES arcade sticks isn't easy

Someone needs to create a nicer way of powering a supergun

I'd have gone down the consolized MVS route from Aliexpress but I fancy trying some other JAMMA boards out. I'm currently eyeing up some CPS2 stuff.

Does anyone have any starting out tips such as where to find stuff reliably? I'm on UKVAC now and the RetroRealm Facebook group.

On 17/07/2018 at 12:11, SeanR said:

which supergun did you get? the one's I've been looking at both take AT/ATX connector or wired in arcade PSU

I ended up buying a micro atx psu which had a 20+4 pin that fits. I looked into wiring the other one up but it seems really fiddly and quite dangerous as you have the live wire from a normal plug exposed. Probably fine for a sealed arcade cab but not for just out in the living room!

On 17/07/2018 at 11:11, erhgiez said:

I'm trying to get into the MVS at the moment and I'm going to  be building a supergun over the next few days. I have an MVS motherboard on its way from Hong Kong and a lot of other bits and pieces coming to me separately. I've needed to buy scart to hdmi upscalers, AES arcade sticks from Japan, replacement ball tops, weird atx power supplies that need wiring up manually. Hopefully I've bought the right stuff but finding the info wasn't easy, but the challenge makes it fun.

I bought some games (Metal Slug 1, 2 and Neo Turf Masters) and the Metal Slug had obviously got something wrong with it as it had 2 label stickers, one on top of the other. I could make out  a Z on the label underneath so I assumed it was a reflashed Puzzle Bobble cart, but openeing it up and a bit of research taught me how to identify the EEPROM chips and they were the original Metal Slug ones, so I wonder if someone swapped out a damaged cart.

Things I have found out:

People in the UK don't really do MVS, most of the stuff comes from abroad, particularly Europe

Finding AES arcade sticks isn't easy

Someone needs to create a nicer way of powering a supergun

I'd have gone down the consolized MVS route from Aliexpress but I fancy trying some other JAMMA boards out. I'm currently eyeing up some CPS2 stuff.

Does anyone have any starting out tips such as where to find stuff reliably? I'm on UKVAC now and the RetroRealm Facebook group.

The Neosd multicart for MVS is fantastic if you want to play every game, I have most of my favourites on MVS but often fire up the Neosd.

If you get a smaller 1 slot they run quite easily on a small wall wart or laptop type power supply.

I put everything together and IT'S ALIVE! I was worried it wouldn't work.

2q33tdt.jpg

If you are going to do the same then get a decent scart to HDMI conveter, apparently a lot of the cheap £10 ones don't accept the signal. I went for this one (you need one with an upscaler)

I also got away with using a micro ATX PSU. This one

Also, I didn't realise this but it doesn't output sound over scart, I had to route it through my hifi

2csevbq.jpg

30c5zrp.jpg

Now I just need to wait for my arcade stick to show up :S

1 hour ago, erhgiez said:

I put everything together and IT'S ALIVE! I was worried it wouldn't work.

2q33tdt.jpg

If you are going to do the same then get a decent scart to HDMI conveter, apparently a lot of the cheap £10 ones don't accept the signal. I went for this one (you need one with an upscaler)

I also got away with using a micro ATX PSU. This one

Also, I didn't realise this but it doesn't output sound over scart, I had to route it through my hifi

2csevbq.jpg

30c5zrp.jpg

Now I just need to wait for my arcade stick to show up :S

What a mess that is!

there has to be a better way 

I'll get it neatened up but just testing parts for now. I'm not sure what the elegant solution is though. This stuff was designed to be placed in an arcade cabinet so hasn't been designed for beauty or sitting on my carpet. I'm thinking of building a cab, but maybe a bartop or something as don't have room for a full cab. wish I could though.

Is there anyone in London into this kind of stuff? It would be good to meet up and see other peoples builds or trade games in the future etc

11 minutes ago, super_quincy said:

If you can avoid it. Don't route the sound through the SCART.. the output can be too high and had been known to pop speakers.

How do you get sound on your cmvs from aliexpress?

25 minutes ago, ulala said:

How do you get sound on your cmvs from aliexpress?

Admittedly through the SCART but the issue is the SuperGun rather than the MVS itself though.

The volume pots on Jamma PCBs in general are usually pre-amplified and the supergun does nothing to dampen them. 

I'd not risk it to be honest...