Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

3 hours ago, Ianos said:

Question: are there any genuinely good scrolling beat-'em-ups on Neo Geo from 1989 to around 1996?

I'm doing a video on the genre in that period and, honestly, I'm struggling to come up with any on the format, even with loads of comments on the first part of the video saying 'WHAT ABOUT NEO GEO?'

The 'geo should have been great for scrolling beat em ups, but unfortunately they are universally rubbish.

Sengoku is often well regarded, and i kind of still play burning fight...

50 minutes ago, ulala said:

The 'geo should have been great for scrolling beat em ups, but unfortunately they are universally rubbish.

Sengoku is often well regarded, and i kind of still play burning fight...

That's what I thought, but I didn't believe it because... well, the Neo Geo should have been amazing for scrolling beat-'em-ups, so surely I was just wrong?

I'll include some anyway, just to say 'nah'.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Ianos said:

Question: are there any genuinely good scrolling beat-'em-ups on Neo Geo from 1989 to around 1996?

I'm doing a video on the genre in that period and, honestly, I'm struggling to come up with any on the format, even with loads of comments on the first part of the video saying 'WHAT ABOUT NEO GEO?'

Sengoku is good. (Well I like it) 

it’s got two sequels that I must have played but can’t remember. 

Mutation Nation? Robo Army? I might be mis-remembering names there.

oh and Burning Fight. If you like half cooked Final Fight rip-offs

edit: slow phone day means I didn’t see @ulala ‘s reply 

Sooooooooorrrrreeeeee!

how about ninja combat?

Its such a shame about this genre on the system, it has excellent fighters, shooters, racing and sports games.... just not decent scrolling beat em ups.

I think they are my favorite genre too. :/

It genuinely surprised me how few from SNK/on Neo-Geo I had for the shortlist. It's one of those things where my brain had just assumed it was the perfect place for beat-'em-ups. Not to be. AH WELL.

On another note: what's the best way outside of OG hardware to play Neo-Geo games these days? Still MAME? Imma going to have to get some recording done, and the £many being asked for AES consoles can get tae fuck.

16 minutes ago, Ianos said:

It genuinely surprised me how few from SNK/on Neo-Geo I had for the shortlist. It's one of those things where my brain had just assumed it was the perfect place for beat-'em-ups. Not to be. AH WELL.

On another note: what's the best way outside of OG hardware to play Neo-Geo games these days? Still MAME? Imma going to have to get some recording done, and the £many being asked for AES consoles can get tae fuck.

Raspberry pi is fantastic for Neo geo.

3 hours ago, I say said:

I was looking at a boxing game today - The Legend of Tomorrow's Joe, or something.

Thank God for smartphones and instant internet.  I researched it, shuddered and put it back.

Instead I picked up World Heroes 2 for a fraction of the price.

Slippery slope :)

10 minutes ago, ulala said:

What's  inside them, an original mvs?

pretty much. And the supergun, on the front of the jamma connector.

about £100 worth of parts, plus that case. Also available in black, white, and red, iirc.

and available with snk/sat joyports or snk/ps1... Obv. The (Jpn) saturn pad has the better d-pad.

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

pretty much. And the supergun, on the front of the jamma connector.

about £100 worth of parts, plus that case. Also available in black, white, and red, iirc.

and available with snk/sat joyports or snk/ps1... Obv. The (Jpn) saturn pad has the better d-pad.

Thanks

You don't happen to have a link to the sku do you, I'm having trouble finding it on their website

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:47, SeanR said:

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:34, bplus said:

Cheers seanr, but the link is broken?

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:38, SeanR said:

that keeps happening.

I googled

aliexpress+neogeo+mvs

so that should work ok

links tend not to work, for some reason...

32 minutes ago, super_quincy said:

Someone asked me the other day where to get one... aliexpress I replied...

Now I cant see them on there ! 

This is proper weird. even searching aliexpress... they've been pulled!

or... FUCK!

They want $400 now

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/161-in-1-MVS-MV-1B-Console-with-HDMI-Converter/32853695920.html

1 x NEOGEO MVS Console

1 x HDMI Converter And HD-Video Upscaler

1 x NEOGEO SCART RGB Cable with Stereo Phone Jack

1 x HDMI Cable

1 x 12VDC Power Adapter

1 x 5VDC Power Adapter

1 x MVS 161in1 Game Cartridge

but it includes an HDMI external upscaler, and the 161-in-1 MVS cart...

I can't watch that (at work) but if it's the video where someone claims it fried his Framemeister, RetroCore posted a reply video debunking his claims..

It's after watching this review (and seeing that Retrocore had no issues after a month of use) I decided to take the plunge and get one.