rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

When you had a snes at home and you went into the arcade and saw samsho 1 running - especially on charlottes stage - it was like something ten years in the future.

then you'd go home and play your shitty port.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Fired her up tonight after some frenzied rearranging of the retro room. She's working perfectly! Robo Army is ace.  Love the enormous sprites and it looks superb over RGB. I can't imagine how amazing these fuckers must have been at the time.

It was fucking nuts.

I never owned (or borrowed) one during its early days but I did play loads of Baseball Stars, Magician Lord and (not enough) Nam '75. I also witnessed the flashy but ultimately redundant memory-card-being-used-both-in-the-home-and-the-arcade feature first hand

Anyway Baseball Stars was like nothing else but I loved the sounds so much I recorded the intro / titles and a couple of music tracks with a load of other video game bits I had to have for my walkman. I took a long time for the novelty of its aesthetics to wear off and I still have the tape. 

Magician Lord had even more impressive visuals and sounds - and despite some pretty cheap and unfair gameplay it was the perfect game to spend a weekend afternoon trying to complete. Passing the stick with every life lost / stage finished worked well and starting all over again and again was fine because there was always some new visual detail to discover and the music / sfx never wore thin. We played it so much we got good enough to get to the final stages pretty consistently and I even convinced myself that the chief antagonist (final boss who goads you in cut scenes prior to the end-of-stage boss fights) was voiced by Bill Murray. I think brutally hard one-player games of the day were probably best played in a group as that seemed to naturally intensify the drama. Good times.

Nam '75 was considered the runt of this first batch of Neo Geo games as no-one managed to get a decent rhythm of play going. It was too hard, too frustrating and too short a time for all the credits to evaporate. I thought it was jaw dropping and was gutted that this was the first of the monolith-sized cartridges to be traded in for something else. Perhaps because it might have always been a cheaper / more common game and lacked the OTT pizzazz of many of the other titles it understandably got left to one side. Having played it again properly for the first time since the early '90s (albeit via emulation) I think its aged marvelously and exudes a sense of understated class - not qualities that first come to mind when thinking of the arcade heyday it was borne from. 

• Upvote 7

1000% agree - great post

even later on when I was getting into snk again and playing the dreamcast port of kof98, then. Buying the homecart and realising - holy shit the sprites are huge and even now nothing can make a decent port properly. It truly is a legendary machine. 

I bought an RGB lead before the machine had arrived. I've used retrogamingcables.co.uk for most of mine. 

Are you you getting the BIOS done in the UK?

Edit - look at that.  It's fecking glorious.

IMG_4421.JPG

• Upvote 5

I'm buying the bios from the official site and getting a mate to do it. Bought some 40 pin dip sockets too as I'm not fond of the piggyback method. 

That looks great! I'm waiting for a megadrive psu and I'll post some pics of the machine later. 

15 hours ago, kernow said:m

That looks great! I'm waiting for a megadrive psu and I'll post some pics of the machine later. 

Isn't the PRO POW 2 a 5V PSU? I thought it was just the 3 that could be swapped for a Megadrive PSU.

40 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I'd really like Neo Turf Masters. There's a copy on eBay for £13.5k, does that seem reasonable?

get two, just in case.

3 hours ago, stoofle said:

Isn't the PRO POW 2 a 5V PSU? I thought it was just the 3 that could be swapped for a Megadrive PSU.

Yeah it was the 3 I needed as my serial is in the 240k range. Bought an md1 psu on eBay :)

just about to open my neo and clean it up now I'm at home woo

Love my Neo. Been a fan for many years and have a mix of AES and MVS stuff, but nothing too rare. Rarely find time to play anymore , but I just can't bear to part with it!

Well if you want to thin it down, get at me!  I want to fatten mine up a bit.

I've got my eye on a few reasonably priced cart-only games from Japan.  Given the way the prices are I'm not going to be precious about having boxed and complete games.

Just showing the MVS some appreciation. Just recieved the plexis off lions on ng.com.  Though i think i need to tidy up the wiring on the biosmasta and the top shielding on the 2 slot will be painted black this weekend.

20160522_173630.jpg

I can't remember if I'm dreaming or not but I swear my two earlier home systems had a springy flap which covered the memory card slot. This new one doesn't seem to, maybe it's stuck or I'm just imagining things. Anyone? 

Balls, I'll have to get the torch out, I can see straight in mine but it's definitely not be opened, maybe it's just stuck up hmm

What's the serial on yours? 

Ah yes, it is there but the spring action doesn't seem to work, no biggie. I'll sort it out when I do the bios one day. Pulled it down but it just seems to stay up when you push it. 

I'm so, so jealous of you guys with even the tiniest of collections. For some reason this is the only system I care about real hardware for. 

Once I get settled I need a decent CRT first, and then I can gradually claw back some of what once was. 

Did the RGB mod yesterday, had the day off so opening a near mint neogeo and slicing tracks on the motherboard sounded like a fun idea. 

20160527_151648720_iOS.jpg

20160527_221434779_iOS.jpg

20160527_222653422_iOS.jpg

It works! glorious RGB

20160527_224428206_iOS.jpg

• Upvote 5