Nathan Wind

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Nice one man! Mines coming Friday :) I'll post some pics. Spent a couple hours the other day refurbishing a stick and it turned out great. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

That stick looks lovely and clean. What did you do to it?

I paid £225 for the console and the four fighting games including postage from Japan. Then I bought Robo Army on top for £100 off the same guy. So all in £325 for the machine with two sticks a memory card and five games. Well chuffed with that!

When look back I've owned 4 AES's over the years - got my first in 1994 - just with Art Of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special - sold it when the ps1 came out.

The second was bought as a junker from Japan in 2004 - it didnt work. so I sold it on. Number 3 was just after that - sadly the sound went a few years ago. I've still got it - lovely and boxed in the loft. Number 4 I bought after number 3 got retired. Console only for £100. Nice considering I had every thing else from before.

I've managed to keep most of my games but lament selling Blazing Star, Thrash Rally and Last Resort.

Took it apart, cleaned every single bit, resoldered, new silicone grease, new feet and correct size balltop :) 

I was lucky with the lack of fading on the logo. Rare that happens. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, super_quincy said:

When look back I've owned 4 AES's over the years - got my first in 1994 - just with Art Of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special - sold it when the ps1 came out.

The second was bought as a junker from Japan in 2004 - it didnt work. so I sold it on. Number 3 was just after that - sadly the sound went a few years ago. I've still got it - lovely and boxed in the loft. Number 4 I bought after number 3 got retired. Console only for £100. Nice considering I had every thing else from before.

I've managed to keep most of my games but lament selling Blazing Star, Thrash Rally and Last Resort.

Blazing star is a £1200+ game easily now. 

I had about 30 games about ten years ago, motw, slug 2,x,3, all the kofs up to 2001, all the rbff series, samsho 1-4. Sigh

itll take me a long time to build it up again and I'm not paying today's prices. I'm happy going for the cheap classics nowadays with a little splurge now and then. 

I was given it but it's a standard 30mm black balltop, they're usually 35mm in Japanese candy cabs. You can find them in the uk with a quick Google search :) 

Bought samsho1 last night, up to four games, when it comes!

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Are the mvs adapters still £200?

i'd love a neo again, but got rid of my first one because most of the games I wanted were prohibitively expensive. Mvs would be cheaper, although clearly not as nice.

9 hours ago, super_quincy said:

Thrash Rally is on my list. Did Neo Drift Out see a home release? I loved that in the arcade. I plan on picking up some of the cheaper non-fighting games like Nam 75 and Magician Lord, although even those are a hundred quid or more now. Be nice to have a bit of variety. I think eBay is pretty safe for the cheaper games from what I've read. 

Does anyone know if anywhere makes reproduction game boxes?

You can buy original game boxes on eBay but they aren't cheap, better off to buy them complete. No drift our home version, a conversion is around £180.

You will drive yourself up the wall if you just commit to buying originals as most of the decent games cost an arm and a leg. Take the plunge and fork out for a mulitcart! This was my setup back in 2009, I thnk this is when I'd broken my leg and all I could do for 6 months off work was spend cash on my credit card. Bloody idiot :lol: Wish I could back comment through time and give myself a slap!:

• Upvote 2

It's just silly prices. Who the fuck is paying it? When I had one over a decade ago the only games that went for that kind of money was Euro metal slug 1 and kizuna encounter. 99% of games could be bought for less than £300. 

I've always been tempted to get back into neogeo but I don't play enough games these days to justify it. If I did it would be a consilised MVS or an AES with a multi cart. Although AES is missing a lot of the classics like nightmare in the dark, prehistoric isle and zupapa. So of course MVS every time.

Neogeo has lost a lot of it allure since games stopped being made for it and most of its titles have been released elsewhere. 

None of the games are worth the crazy prices. Emulation for the systems is spot on and has been for years so if you fancy getting into it might be best to go for a Neo Geo X for that authentic experience or some sort of handheld.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame that SNK completely torpedoed the NeoGeo X as it was a fine piece of kit. I wanted to get one at the time but waited on the sidelines to see how it a panned out on the first six months or so. Then it all went tits up.  

Fired her up tonight after some frenzied rearranging of the retro room. She's working perfectly! Robo Army is ace.  Love the enormous sprites and it looks superb over RGB. I can't imagine how amazing these fuckers must have been at the time.

• Upvote 3