rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

That stick looks lovely and clean. What did you do to it?

I paid £225 for the console and the four fighting games including postage from Japan. Then I bought Robo Army on top for £100 off the same guy. So all in £325 for the machine with two sticks a memory card and five games. Well chuffed with that!

When look back I've owned 4 AES's over the years - got my first in 1994 - just with Art Of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special - sold it when the ps1 came out.

The second was bought as a junker from Japan in 2004 - it didnt work. so I sold it on. Number 3 was just after that - sadly the sound went a few years ago. I've still got it - lovely and boxed in the loft. Number 4 I bought after number 3 got retired. Console only for £100. Nice considering I had every thing else from before.

I've managed to keep most of my games but lament selling Blazing Star, Thrash Rally and Last Resort.

Are the mvs adapters still £200?

i'd love a neo again, but got rid of my first one because most of the games I wanted were prohibitively expensive. Mvs would be cheaper, although clearly not as nice.

9 hours ago, super_quincy said:

When look back I've owned 4 AES's over the years - got my first in 1994 - just with Art Of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special - sold it when the ps1 came out.

The second was bought as a junker from Japan in 2004 - it didnt work. so I sold it on. Number 3 was just after that - sadly the sound went a few years ago. I've still got it - lovely and boxed in the loft. Number 4 I bought after number 3 got retired. Console only for £100. Nice considering I had every thing else from before.

I've managed to keep most of my games but lament selling Blazing Star, Thrash Rally and Last Resort.

Thrash Rally is on my list. Did Neo Drift Out see a home release? I loved that in the arcade. I plan on picking up some of the cheaper non-fighting games like Nam 75 and Magician Lord, although even those are a hundred quid or more now. Be nice to have a bit of variety. I think eBay is pretty safe for the cheaper games from what I've read. 

Does anyone know if anywhere makes reproduction game boxes?

You will drive yourself up the wall if you just commit to buying originals as most of the decent games cost an arm and a leg. Take the plunge and fork out for a mulitcart! This was my setup back in 2009, I thnk this is when I'd broken my leg and all I could do for 6 months off work was spend cash on my credit card. Bloody idiot :lol: Wish I could back comment through time and give myself a slap!:

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, kernow said:

Blazing star is a £1200+ game easily now. 

In all fairness my copy was a conversion, so not worth megamoney 

Someone's selling a conversion of it on eBay right now for £349.  Genuine MVS.  There's a King of the Monsters on there which is tempting me.  Love that game.

It's just silly prices. Who the fuck is paying it? When I had one over a decade ago the only games that went for that kind of money was Euro metal slug 1 and kizuna encounter. 99% of games could be bought for less than £300. 

I've always been tempted to get back into neogeo but I don't play enough games these days to justify it. If I did it would be a consilised MVS or an AES with a multi cart. Although AES is missing a lot of the classics like nightmare in the dark, prehistoric isle and zupapa. So of course MVS every time.

Neogeo has lost a lot of it allure since games stopped being made for it and most of its titles have been released elsewhere. 

None of the games are worth the crazy prices. Emulation for the systems is spot on and has been for years so if you fancy getting into it might be best to go for a Neo Geo X for that authentic experience or some sort of handheld.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame that SNK completely torpedoed the NeoGeo X as it was a fine piece of kit. I wanted to get one at the time but waited on the sidelines to see how it a panned out on the first six months or so. Then it all went tits up.  

Fired her up tonight after some frenzied rearranging of the retro room. She's working perfectly! Robo Army is ace.  Love the enormous sprites and it looks superb over RGB. I can't imagine how amazing these fuckers must have been at the time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Fired her up tonight after some frenzied rearranging of the retro room. She's working perfectly! Robo Army is ace.  Love the enormous sprites and it looks superb over RGB. I can't imagine how amazing these fuckers must have been at the time.

It was fucking nuts.

I never owned (or borrowed) one during its early days but I did play loads of Baseball Stars, Magician Lord and (not enough) Nam '75. I also witnessed the flashy but ultimately redundant memory-card-being-used-both-in-the-home-and-the-arcade feature first hand

Anyway Baseball Stars was like nothing else but I loved the sounds so much I recorded the intro / titles and a couple of music tracks with a load of other video game bits I had to have for my walkman. I took a long time for the novelty of its aesthetics to wear off and I still have the tape. 

Magician Lord had even more impressive visuals and sounds - and despite some pretty cheap and unfair gameplay it was the perfect game to spend a weekend afternoon trying to complete. Passing the stick with every life lost / stage finished worked well and starting all over again and again was fine because there was always some new visual detail to discover and the music / sfx never wore thin. We played it so much we got good enough to get to the final stages pretty consistently and I even convinced myself that the chief antagonist (final boss who goads you in cut scenes prior to the end-of-stage boss fights) was voiced by Bill Murray. I think brutally hard one-player games of the day were probably best played in a group as that seemed to naturally intensify the drama. Good times.

Nam '75 was considered the runt of this first batch of Neo Geo games as no-one managed to get a decent rhythm of play going. It was too hard, too frustrating and too short a time for all the credits to evaporate. I thought it was jaw dropping and was gutted that this was the first of the monolith-sized cartridges to be traded in for something else. Perhaps because it might have always been a cheaper / more common game and lacked the OTT pizzazz of many of the other titles it understandably got left to one side. Having played it again properly for the first time since the early '90s (albeit via emulation) I think its aged marvelously and exudes a sense of understated class - not qualities that first come to mind when thinking of the arcade heyday it was borne from. 

• Upvote 6

I'm after some joystick cable extenders.  Anyone have experience of the £10 ones you can get on eBay?  Are they alright?

I bought an RGB lead before the machine had arrived. I've used retrogamingcables.co.uk for most of mine. 

Are you you getting the BIOS done in the UK?

Edit - look at that.  It's fecking glorious.

IMG_4421.JPG

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, kernow said:m

That looks great! I'm waiting for a megadrive psu and I'll post some pics of the machine later. 

Isn't the PRO POW 2 a 5V PSU? I thought it was just the 3 that could be swapped for a Megadrive PSU.

40 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I'd really like Neo Turf Masters. There's a copy on eBay for £13.5k, does that seem reasonable?

get two, just in case.