No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now

Goose

52 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Yeah, that came out wrong. I mean I just want to fuck about in there. Have a root about in M's drawers. Have a suck at his pipe.

I'll get me coat.

After leaving, would you attempt re-entry?

On 13/09/2021 at 13:42, JamesC said:

I watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service yesterday. Bond went rogue for a bit in that one. It was a bit shit.

Ban request; it’s the best one.

Also I’ve tried giving Tomorrow Never Dies another chance a few times but ultimately don’t think it’s any better than The World Is Not Enough. At least Die Another Day is kinda kitsch in its awfulness, a proper relic of the early naughties.

15 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Ban request; it’s the best one.

I've heard this said before and I'm honestly baffled as to how it's supposed to be better than the best Connery / Moore stuff. The story is a bit naff. The callbacks to previous films are weird (why does he have Honey Ryder's knife belt) particularly "this never happened to the other guy". 

The relationship with Tracey is unconvincing and under-developed. 

There are some decent bits in it and Bond falling in love is interesting but the execution is pretty terrible. 

I can honestly say I've never felt this uninterested in a Bond film in a very long time, and not because it's been on the shelf for so long either. That 163-minute running time suggests it is long for the sake of it, as are the vast majority of big-name films, like there's an expectation Bond can't be in a tight, exciting 90-minute film. It could well be the opposite, like Clear And Present Danger where there 141 minutes are jam-packed with plot and action, but my money says it won't. 

It almost makes me want to revisit the silliness of the Brosnan period, obviously Goldeneye is always going to be watchable, but even the other films feel appealing because for all their faults they are at least a romp, a good time. 

It has been said many times before but this needs to be a mark of the end of this era of Bond. Daniel Craig didn't want to do this one but was somehow tempted back. They need a clean break, a complete refurb. This dour Bond is a hangover from the 2000s dark-and-serious period where Christopher Nolan's Batman films and the like were popular. That style is way, way past its best to the point where it feels very dated. Cue spiel about the MI films, Bourne etc eating Bond's lunch. 

No Time To Die will probably break records not because it's a great film but for what it represents. It will feel like the cinema is properly back, the film that got held back due to the pandemic is finally here, for some I'm sure it'll mark a return to normal (even though it's far from it). There will be stories about this cast as such. But once the hype has died down how will history judge it? 

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

No Time To Die will probably break records not because it's a great film but for what it represents. It will feel like the cinema is properly back, the film that got held back due to the pandemic is finally here, for some I'm sure it'll mark a return to normal (even though it's far from it). There will be stories about this cast as such. But once the hype has died down how will history judge it? 

Will it though? I don't think it's going to do anywhere near the business they want. Are people genuinely still excited about seeing it?

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'll be surprised if this can improve on the box office set by the woeful Spectre.

11 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Why is the thread title saying it's been delayed again? I haven't seen any news on that. 

I can't find the "[username] changed the title to..." message anywhere in this thread. But the post reporting a delay to November  2021 in the Netherlands happened in January...

And then in February, @JohnC posted these release date updates:

• US release 8 October
  • UK release 30 September

And in August, a delay to Australia's release:

• Australia 11 November

So the "Delayed Yet Again to November 2021" title is true, but only for Australia!

Goldeneye is perfect. I think maybe they released it at just the right time so they could do all the Soviet stuff and it still make perfect sense. Saying that, it had a brilliant baddie with a believable motivation and got the tone just right so they could do the silly death grip thighs and a sports car chase, so it was no fluke of timing, it's just a great movie. They kind of gave up with iconic set pieces after the Brosnan ones and just did nice action, which isn't really Bond to me. It's maybe why the Craig movies have ended up as a bit of an indistinguishable sludge as they seem unwilling to have him hoon a tank about or cut his knackers with a laser beam as that's too fun. 

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

He did. The Incredibles is another 'better than Bond'.

It's also a better Fantastic Four than Fantastic Four.

Come to think of it, I'd be interested to hear what Michael Giacchino would do with a Bond score.

I think that there is the case that Goldeneye is the best film involving James Bond, as opposed to best Bond Film.  As in if you walked into it not knowing anything about James Bond, you'd immediately see it as a classic action film.

Booked tickets to see this with the old man on Friday, it’s a bit of a thing with us to watch bond films in the cinema.

Taking the boy with us as well, hoping that’ll trigger the passing of the Bond Cinema torch between me and him too.

Film is too long though.

I do know some people who don’t rate Goldeneye at all, but personally I love it. I even mostly like the soundtrack. 

For me it fits alongside other 90s titles like Hard Target, The Rock etc as the absolute peak of the ‘craft’ of a particular type of action film which started in the 80s and largely died shortly afterwards. There’s some early CG but still a heavy emphasis on models and old-school comping, and it’s just slightly before Saving Private Ryan and The Matrix collectively led to 10 years of shit imitations in action choreography. Practical explosions & bullet hits, no impossible CG camera moves, no speed ramps. It looks and feels old school and slightly dangerous.

By the time Tomorrow Never Dies rolled around less than two years later everything already felt a lot… glossier. None of the other Brosnan films have any edge. 

I'll go to see this but I'm hesitant. I fell asleep during Spectre. I'll admit that wasn't helped by our first born being born eight weeks early and being in the ICU at the time but bloody hell it bored the arse off me. And Christoph Waltz was shit as Blofeld. He should have stayed down the fucking chimney.

I thought Goldeneye had dated pretty badly last time I watched it. The music, the clothes, and Bond’s general demeanour as a kind of tetchy Clarkson avatar all made it very much of its time. There are some really good bits, but some of it is unintentionally hilarious, like when Bond’s strapped into the helicopter that’s about to explode, and he keeps trying to press the eject button with his forehead, which made me absolutely piss myself. 

10 minutes ago, K said:

I thought Goldeneye had dated pretty badly last time I watched it. The music, the clothes, and Bond’s general demeanour as a kind of tetchy Clarkson avatar all made it very much of its time. There are some really good bits, but some of it is unintentionally hilarious, like when Bond’s strapped into the helicopter that’s about to explode, and he keeps trying to press the eject button with his forehead, which made me absolutely piss myself. 

"I AM EENVEENCIBLE!!!"

3 hours ago, K said:

See, funny - those things you mentioned are some of the reasons why I think it's the best Bond - and by far, too.

8 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'll go to see this but I'm hesitant. I fell asleep during Spectre. I'll admit that wasn't helped by our first born being born eight weeks early and being in the ICU at the time but bloody hell it bored the arse off me. And Christoph Waltz was shit as Blofeld. He should have stayed down the fucking chimney.

Christoph Waltz is fucking awful. He plays the same role over and over. The most over rated actor of the last 20 years 

I’ll watch this, but only when it hits the streaming services I have.  Partly it’s the Covid situation making the decision for me sure but still. 

When I think about it I think this will be the first Bond I’ll not see in the cinema since License to Kill. And that makes me a little sad. I want to get back to being excited to see these films. Time to wipe the slate clean, no links to the Craig films in the next one please - get rid of all the supporting cast too. 

I've no real love of Craig's tenure at all, but I feel having some threads running through the series has always been a strength. Particularly when you have such good casting and actors as Ralph Fiennes and Ben Whishaw. I think it would be a misstep to lose them.

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

I've no real love of Craig's tenure at all, but I feel having some threads running through the series has always been a strength. Particularly when you have such good casting and actors as Ralph Fiennes and Ben Whishaw. I think it would be a misstep to lose them.

Big if I’m putting here. But if they go for a shift in tonality from the Bournelike violent, gritty and humourless style to say something more playful wouldn’t it feel a bit weird?

• Goose changed the title to No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now