JohnC

The Cloverfield Paradox (Was: Cloverfield Station (Was: God Particle))

6 hours ago, Goose said:

/film reckon Netflix paid $55M for the rights. Doesn’t sound like money well spent.

On top of 100 million they spent making Bright makes me think Netflix have more money than sense.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I reckoned that for the first hour or so and I was all set to storm in here and put the thread straight. I'm enjoying this more than Gravity, I LOL'd to Windwife. By the end I just thought it was shit.

Haha I was about to do the same, then the arm thing happened and from then on I realised that the reactions have been fair. Though to be honest I was expecting it to be a lot worse. I thought visually it looked great and the soundtrack by Bear Mccreary was decent. I wasn't disappointed by the lack of answers about the Cloverfield monster and I'm not sure I want any. I'll be quite happy with all that stuff left to my imagination and just watching the events unfold from different characters' POV, within films that experiment with different ideas and tones. 

But I mean yeah it was pretty shit, watchable because I love films like Event Horizon, Sunshine, Europa Report, Moon, etc. but it doesn't come close to any of those. 

For the first 30 mins I was wondering what everybody was complaining about . Then the Chris O Dowd arm bit ( as quirkily hilarious as it was) made it feel like a completely different kind of film altogether. It just didn't fit the story and turned the whole thing into a space parody. " What're you  talking about arm?" indeed!!!!       Other than that though I thought it was a reasonable enough sci fi romp!   Didn't feel anything like the first two at all.

Yup, it's a pile of rubbish.

Chris O'Dowd arm...

Spoiler

Right near the end where Gugu is fighting the lady from the other universe, there's a brief shot of the arm in it's box. I was honestly expecting it to come to the rescue of Gugu, a last minute save with it suddenly wrapping around the baddie's neck and throttling her. At this point, I think the film was capable of anything as they just seemed to be throwing stuff at the screen anyway and hoping for the best.

• Upvote 1

What killed 

Spoiler

Roy? First I thought the metal sealant was being attracted to the magnetic force, but it seemed to have some sentience as it wrapped around him and killed him. 

Utter garbage. I even preferred Bright to this, and that's saying something.

i found it a 'OK' 'straight to DVD' sci-fi film. like something you might see on the syfy channel

or you could watch 'Infinity Chamber' which is on netflix at the moment made for a faction of the cost and infinitely better

• Upvote 1

In the same way as Bright I found this to be OK. I doubt I'd ever watch it again but it wasn't criminally awful in the same way as the first episode of the current season of X Files was.

But conversely, I wouldn't have felt cheated if it had never got released. I imagine there might be a few people out there who care about the Cloverfield universe but I've never met one. I think this film is aimed at those guys.

On 11/02/2018 at 13:46, Sartre84 said:

Yeah, I mentioned Infinity Chamber in the Netflix thread! An intelligent indie sci fi. Reminded me a bit of Moon.

oh sorry, haven't been here for a few years :-)

I watched this before reading any reviews. I really wish I hadn’t. It was a waste of two hours. 

I haven’t seen the first Cloverfield film but I saw the one where they were in a bunker and that was pretty good/ok.

Just saw this. Gave it 40/100 on Criticker. Then I lowered it to a 30. Went to play some games and now changed it to a 20/100. 

It's just awful. 

If they stripped out the weak Cloverfield connection, and left O’Dowd’s arm attached to his body, then it would be twice the film. A second rate sci-fi potboiler for sure, but still enjoyable hokum.

But they decided to copulate with the canine instead.

I quite enjoyed this, it seemed to crib in ideas that reminded me of other films so thick and fast that I never really had time to sit and think about the absurdity of it all. Almost every single thing that happens throughout was "because anomaly!" which was pretty much the rationale where the writers decided they could do whatever the fuck they wanted without having to justify anything that happened whatsoever. I kind of admire that, in a way. 

Obviously it falls to bits as soon as you think about any of it for half a second*, but by far the worst bit was the dismal shoehorning in of the Cloverfield "universe" aspect. Apart from that, I probably preferred it to both Covenant and Bright to bring up a couple of other recently panned efforts but I was pretty drunk when I saw it.

* in which case why not comfort yourself with "because anomaly!" Stretchy face? Because anomaly! Wonky eye? Because anomaly! Full of worms? Because anomaly! Device in the belly? Because anomaly! It practically writes itself. Genius.

On 2/11/2018 at 13:46, Sartre84 said:

Yeah, I mentioned Infinity Chamber in the Netflix thread! An intelligent indie sci fi. Reminded me a bit of Moon.

Good shout this - it was most enjoyable.

On 2/18/2018 at 14:57, stefcha said:

Stretchy face? Because anomaly! Wonky eye? Because anomaly! Full of worms? Because anomaly! Device in the belly? Because anomaly!

Cosmic horror, innit? :lol:

This really was so bad.

38 minutes ago, Sartre84 said:

You listed all those and forgot about magic arm!!

I had to limit myself to one character or I'd have been there all sodding night.

• Upvote 1

Agree that it was more entertaining that Covenant. 

Also I noticed that Netflix are going with an image of The Arm to market this, so the ludicrousness of it can't have escaped them.