JohnC

The Cloverfield Paradox (Was: Cloverfield Station (Was: God Particle))

J.J. Abrams producing a sci-fi thriller with Paramount, to be directed by Nigerian director Julius Onah. David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, John Krasinski and Elizabeth Debicki already signed on and Daniel Bruhl in final negotiations.

It's about a bunch of people on a space station who conduct an experiment and they accidentally cause Earth to disappear. How embarrassing. But then a space shuttle appears and, depending on which source you read, they must determine if they are friend or foe or it challenges all they know about the fabric of reality. Maybe both fit in. Sounds like potential for something good, I just hope it lives up to it.

It's due to come out in February 2017.

Sounds like something someone scientifically illiterate would use as fuel against certain kinds of scientific research in the future.  "They shouldn't use the LHC anymore!  Just look what happened in that one movie.."

Other than that, it sounds like it might be decent.  I like space movies.

Ah i must admit the trailer looked okay when i watched it a few weeks ago. I'm not quite sure if i like this whole cloverfield shared universe though, 10 cloverfield lane just seemed to have a bit tacked on to the end and felt jarring. 

This is apparently being bought by Netflix, meaning it would skip its April release. Current title is Cloverfield Station.

In related news, the next Cloverfield movie has already been shot according to /film. Cloverfield: Overlord is set during WW2.

• Upvote 1

On 27/10/2016 at 17:45, Darhkwing said:

Ah i must admit the trailer looked okay when i watched it a few weeks ago. I'm not quite sure if i like this whole cloverfield shared universe though, 10 cloverfield lane just seemed to have a bit tacked on to the end and felt jarring. 

I actually liked the ending of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Spoiler

Goodman spends the entire film ranting that they're staying underground for their own good due to aliens, which of course any sensible person would assume is survivalist tin-foil hattery, then turns out to have been right all along? I had no issues there. Perhaps it worked for me because I hadn't seen anything about this being related to Cloverfield, but in the car at the start of the film there are radio reports talking about blackouts in major cities so when the rants started, I kind of assumed that maybe he was on to something

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Goose said:

This is apparently being bought by Netflix, meaning it would skip its April release. Current title is Cloverfield Station.

In related news, the next Cloverfield movie has already been shot according to /film. Cloverfield: Overlord is set during WW2.

They should have called it Cloverlord.

• Upvote 8

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 02:19, Comrade said:

But even the two existing Cloverfield films don't share a universe?

Is this right? I thought they did

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Apparently right after the Super Bowl finishes.

That’s not totally clear - in case anyone’s not aware, this film is on Netflix right now.

It's not getting many good notices from what I can see so far. First half is pretty good, second half shows why Netflix ending up getting it as opposed to it getting a theatrical release.

All I'm reading is that it's a waste of time. I'm starting to get pretty sceptical of movies that Netflix buy up a few months before release instead of being released to cinemas as planned. Doesn't bode well for Annihilation.

Just seen it and written a review for Ready Steady Cut that will go up later. 

In short i though it was shit

• Upvote 2

:lol:

From what I've seen so far (50 mins in) I concur. It's like a lobotomised supercut of Event Horizon, Life, Sphere, DOOM and a dozen other sub-par space horrors smooshed together. 

Well, that was pretty poor. 

I like Chris O'Dowd, but I have no idea what he's doing in this film. It's like he's in an episode of Red Dwarf, and the rest of them are in a (rubbish) version of Event Horizon.

Its only reason to exist is to explain where the Cloverfield monsters came from, and the answers it gives are both entirely uninteresting, and inconsistent with the world-building of the original film.

• Upvote 1

Well that was a load of old bobbins, the studios must have been laughing their arses off when they managed to offload it to Netflix. The very end felt like a parody, like an episode of The Scary Door from Futurama. Except that’s supposed to be funny.

So I guess all the awful bits with the husband were filmed after this got hijacked and turned into a Cloverfield film and originally it was just a crew on a space station film.

Christ on a bike, having a expert appear on TV (in an obviously added after the fact manner) to state that this could randomly cause monsters to appear just to justify your shitty twist ending.

• Upvote 2

On 28/10/2016 at 02:19, Comrade said:

But even the two existing Cloverfield films don't share a universe?

I thought it was the exact same universe. They’re underground cos of fall out. The thing was nuked at the end. Easy to think they’d continue to nuke. I thought it all made sense. 

Despite the fact that name of the station is supposed to be Cloverfield (although only ever mentioned by that name by people on a radio or in voiceover), there are various Helios logos all over the place. The production team obviously didn’t have time to go around and CGI in Cloverfield logos

• Upvote 3