rllmuk
Blu3Flame

Civilization VI - Civ on the streets, Civ in the sheets

Are people actually going to have hope for this after V and Beyond Earth though?

The engine runs worse than the most graphically intensive games even though it's a 2D not-great looking thing.

AI is braindead, can't even work out how to put ranged units behind melee units, which Advance Wars could on the GBA.

Modding support was poorer than any previous version.

Multiplayer support was barebones.

Game systems did not achieve their design goals - i.e global happiness was supposed to stop infinite city spam, but didn't.

Overall game design didn't seem to know what it wanted to be - multiplayer focused or not.

Production value somehow cheaper feeling than Civ 4, then Beyond Earth halved the content of base Civ V for the same price.

After two XCOM games that were brilliant, it's hard not to think of Civ being Firaxis' B-team.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Even though I know it won't be "great" until all the expacs....

It sounds like they're not cutting out features for launch though.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-details/

Almost every system from the complete Civ V will be included in the sequel: trade routes, religious systems, archaeology…there’ll be no need to wait for expansions, it’s all in the base game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The engine runs worse than the most graphically intensive games even though it's a 2D not-great looking thing.

AI is braindead, can't even work out how to put ranged units behind melee units, which Advance Wars could on the GBA.

From the RPS article.

The game is running on a brand new suite of software, built to be far more mod-friendly than its predecessor, and as well as brand new AI systems.

5 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

It sounds like they're not cutting out features for launch though.

They never "cut features" to begin with.

It sounds like this is effectively a bit of a redesign and re-release to focus on user generated content though.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

They never "cut features" to begin with.

I was under the impression V launched which a bunch of systems missing from IV. I joined the series at V, so I'm not too sure.

More importantly, is that Sean Bean doing the voice over in the trailer, and will he be the new voice when you discover things? If so, I hope he randomly shouts "Frenchies Harper!" in unrelated statements about discovering Printing Presses.

• Upvote 5

Why is this coming out at the same time as PSVR...? :(

Wait a minute short games on PSVR, then off to stare at a normal screen for hours on end, it's perfect timing. :)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Are people actually going to have hope for this after V and Beyond Earth though?

Multiplayer support was barebones, despite a lot of the AI behaviour seemingly being built to emulate multiplayer.

Game systems did not achieve their design goals - i.e global happiness was supposed to stop infinite city spam, but didn't.

Production value somehow cheaper feeling than Civ 4, then Beyond Earth halved the content of base Civ V for the same price.

After two XCOM games that were brilliant, it's hard not to think of Civ being Firaxis' B-team.

If you pretend Civ V was a sequel to Civilisation Revolution it was basically perfect. Not really what anyone wanted, but they did a good job of that. Compared to Civ IV, not so much. And Beyond Earth was one of the worst strategy games I've played. Awful.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, BE is terrible. I can't believe what a half arsed job they did with it. Despite being a die hard Civ fan, I waited until the price dropped drastically before I got it due to me thinking it would be nothing but a re-skin of Civ V but with a few spacey elements. Even I couldn't believe it when the factions used the exact same phrases they do in Civ V. So low rent.

I've never been more disappointed with a game than Civ BE. I preordered it, and foolishly bought Alpha Centauri in preperation, and it was just so dry. So boring. They mangled espionage, and trade was completely OP yet needed to be micro-managed. I like the Tech Tree in theory, but everything was just all a bit dull, I should have been building fantastical structures and changing the planet. I wasn't.

Here's hoping the rule about the even-numbered games stays true.

Saying that, I'm actually a big fan of V. It's not the best Civ, no, but it's not half as bad as some people make out. It is genuinely really good, it's just a shame it took two expansions to get there.

• Upvote 1

Ahh, there can be no better representation of Civilization's conservative, whitewashed representation of world history and the development of civilisations than its inclusion of a censored version of Delacroix's La Liberté guidant le peuple in its trailer.

Nice art style in the new game, mind. Makes me think a little of The Settlers games, albeit scaled out. A shame this will probably be just another let-down in a series of let-downs since Civ II, sticking doggedly to the same old formula, the same old rigid research trees, restricted progress and anaemic diplomacy...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, revlob said:

Here's hoping the rule about the even-numbered games stays true.

Saying that, I'm actually a big fan of V. It's not the best Civ, no, but it's not half as bad as some people make out. It is genuinely really good, it's just a shame it took two expansions to get there.

Yeah.  I really didn't like vanilla Civ V but the expansions were great and the full version is actually a really decent game.

It kind of went the opposite direction to IV where the original game was a classic but the expansions mostly just added bloat.

• Upvote 1

I fucking love civ. I can't get on with endless legends other worldly-ness, despite it clearly being a better 'game'. I'm a sucker for the actual buildings and people in it.

I really hope it's nothing like BE. There was am interesting article on RPS about how the genre has gone a bit stale and some of the things in the beyond the gates kickstarter by one of the ex firaxis guys like actual seasons and being able to change the terrain more would be interesting but I'm pretty sure it's going to be more of the same at best. Fingers and toes crossed.

(Even if it will mean I don't sleep at all if it is even only as good as V)

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

Makes me think a little of The Settlers games, albeit scaled out.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I've been playing Civ since the first one. I'm getting this regardless :(

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah.  I really didn't like vanilla Civ V but the expansions were great and the full version is actually a really decent game.

It kind of went the opposite direction to IV where the original game was a classic but the expansions mostly just added bloat.

I really like V now it's "complete" but it still has real issues. The main one is that it's very formulaic, you look at your start, you explore for 20 turns, and that's the entire course of the game done pretty much. Liberty or Tradition (and 95% of the time it's Tradition) and you may as well skip to the end game. They need to make it easier to have a large empire, easier to conquer other empires and hold the majority of cities without razing loads of them, or give more of a reason to expand late on apart from getting resources. I always thought a colony system or something would work well. Reading some of the previews, where you get technologies by practical means (getting horse riding if you have horses in your borders and so on) sounds interesting, but it also sounds like a recipe again for knowing how something will play out from the start after a while.

• Upvote 2

Hang on, I've got Civ V with the Gods & Kings expansion, are people saying you really need the one after for a better experience then? What does that add to it? It's something of a moot point really though given I bought that pack 3 1/2 years ago for a tenner (with the whole lot being on sale for far less since) and I've not got round to playing it yet, obviously.

It reworks the culture victory side of things to make it more interesting, and adds trade routes as well which can be extremely powerful. Given that maybe 80% of my victories are culture ones it does improve the game a fair bit.