The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Next Poll  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love my Next and upgraded it to full spec but I just haven't had the time to really play with it yet. When I do, I think I will use an external keyboard and mouse. I don't really fancy coding on the keyboard, even though it is really nice, I would rather save the wear and tear.

Done quite a lot of coding on mine and once you're used to the keyboard it's really quite nice to use. That said, I'm going to look into setting up a dev environment on my PC when I next delve as it can be painful if you're used to modem IDEs. Moving code around is quite painful for e.g.

5 hours ago, Camel said:

Because manufacturing them involves huge upfront costs and perhaps nobody is able/willing to invest that much money?

Wouldn't this be solved with pre-orders? Kickstarter wouldn't be taking a cut of the money then either.

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Wouldn't this be solved with pre-orders? Kickstarter wouldn't be taking a cut of the money then either.

this is exactly my point, thee is zero need for a kickstarter again.

they can take pre-orders, which they get the money up front but if they do not deliver customers do not lose their money.

I know this isn't the right thread at all, but this seems to have a good collection of Speccy fans all in one place, so I figured it's worth a punt.

Is there a Spectrum emulator that allows you to speed things up/slow things down on the fly? I fancy playing some old football manager games but they are beset by long delays in processing times and I'd like to be able to reduce that wait. I have SPIN, but that doesn't have any hotkey, it has to be done via a menu. Any others?

On 29/07/2020 at 08:33, ulala said:

this is exactly my point, thee is zero need for a kickstarter again.

they can take pre-orders, which they get the money up front but if they do not deliver customers do not lose their money.

Loads of businesses use Kickstarter to do "preorder" type stuff. Boardgaming is completely stuffed to the gills with it.

You have several boardgame designers with tons of successful projects behind them (coolminiornot,gamelyn etc) and they still use Kickstarter to do preorders and even reprints (Gloomhaven for example). These are projects that always hit target etc it is purely a preorder business. Despite the cut that Kickstarter takes I am assuming that organising preorders using Kickstarter is far more economical to them than any other system out there. They don't have to do any of the "money stuff" which probably makes things simpler for them. Boardgame kickstarters even have tiers that 3rd party sellers/stores can buy to get several copies for resale.

Henrique Ollifer's games development company received several million in investment a few years ago, they've already shown they've got the market, I would imagine it would be fairly easy for them to get access to finance through loans or investment. We're also talking about the original campaign that raised over £750k, so it's not like some small scale campaign.

But as @ulala has said, if you go via crowdfunding there is literally zero legal comeback if you fail to deliver (as we've seen with the likes of the Vega+). It also removes any time pressure to release the product, which unfortunately as we've seen with the original Next, resulted in a 2 year delay ("hey, it's a crowdfunded product so it's not a 'commercial'' product so we're going to take our time and dick around with it!"). 

I'm really surprised they've gone down the crowdfunding route (well, maybe not if you look at the reasons above!) and to be honest I'd preferred if they went down a The C64 type of route, getting the product in retail, getting more widespread coverage and ultimately selling more of them in order to increase the install base - hopefully increasing the number of games being developed.

Until they do go down that sort of commercial route, I think the Next is going to be destined as a hobbyist machine and not much more, plus the crowdfunding aspect is probably going to put off a lot of people. Sure, they'll hit their Kickstarter goal, but it could be a lot bigger than the current 3,000 or so Nexts out there. 

22 minutes ago, Camel said:

There's no limit though so there will be as many as are ordered. 

This thread is so negative :lol:

They managed 3,000 backers for the first campaign, like I said I'm sure they'll do that again but I do think they're really missing an opportunity by not going down the commercial route to market. I mean, Retro Games have just announced TheVIC20 going to retail, the original Vic 20 sold something like a million units, the Spectrum sold 5 million, so there would definitely be a market for it.

I'd just like to see as many Nexts as possible out there, it would mean a larger install base and more exclusive Next games!

5 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

They managed 3,000 backers for the first campaign, like I said I'm sure they'll do that again but I do think they're really missing an opportunity by not going down the commercial route to market. I mean, Retro Games have just announced TheVIC20 going to retail, the original Vic 20 sold something like a million units, the Spectrum sold 5 million, so there would definitely be a market for it.

I'd just like to see as many Nexts as possible out there, it would mean a larger install base and more exclusive Next games!

Going to retail isn't easy. You need sales reps and people to actively chase companies to stock and sell, that costs a lot of money. They also have their own companies to deal with and this is just a thing on the side perfectly reasonable not to expect them to want to destroy everything on the off chance of supplying a single commercial product with a high risk of not selling. KS is guaranteed sales numbers with the money paid before work begins. Just because decades ago some systems sold millions is no guarantee that will happen 30 or so years later, that's not how markets work.  Things like the NES and SNES mini were readily pushed out into stockists because Nintendo etc. have such a wide global reach. The Next has nothing like that.

The only other thing you can really compare it to is the Elite 48K unit and the Vega but they weren't anywhere near massive successes despite hitting things like the BBC and general news sites. The market has moved on.

38 minutes ago, Camel said:

There's no limit though so there will be as many as are ordered. 

This thread is so negative :lol:

just a couple of negative elements.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

just a couple of negative elements.

It’s not negative for a customer to want to get their money back if a vendor doesn’t deliver. 

im happy to give money to a company like Analogue for a pocket up front, for them to deliver in May 2020 knowing that if they don’t, I get my money back.

why can’t the Next do this? 

this time there are no r and d costs neither. If they said pay us £200 and we will deliver in June 2020 that’s fine.

but another Kickstarter? The only reason for that would be to cover them if they “lost” the money 

Well your history being negative (bordering on indicating they stole the money late last year) about this Kickstarter are well documented - so I am guessing you aren't keen on them.

It would have been nice if you could have posted after they shipped to say "hey well I was wrong and no mistake".

Instead you double down and cast aspersions indicating they might be con men.

44 minutes ago, ulala said:

but another Kickstarter? The only reason for that would be to cover them if they “lost” the money 

Rubbish - as I mentioned previously there are plenty of companies using Kickstarter in exactly the same way as the Next crew. Boardgames have multiple "prints" done with successive kickstarters (Gloomhaven again springs to mind) so this is not an unusual business model even if it isn't to your taste

Not everyone is a scumbag like the Vega boys and girls. Next delivered the hardware as promised eventually and seem to have the right attitude even if their organisational skills are not perfect.

53 minutes ago, ulala said:

It’s not negative for a customer to want to get their money back if a vendor doesn’t deliver. 

im happy to give money to a company like Analogue for a pocket up front, for them to deliver in May 2020 knowing that if they don’t, I get my money back.

why can’t the Next do this? 

this time there are no r and d costs neither. If they said pay us £200 and we will deliver in June 2020 that’s fine.

Given what these guys have managed to deliver and the seemingly infinite amount of support they offer along with the constant updates and tireless community building, it's really, really weird to suspect that they will suddenly turn crooked and disappear with everyone's money. 

I mean really, wtf?

19 minutes ago, Camel said:

Given what these guys have managed to deliver and the seemingly infinite amount of support they offer along with the constant updates and tireless community building, it's really, really weird to suspect that they will suddenly turn crooked and disappear with everyone's money. 

I mean really, wtf?

im not saying they will be crooked, I just don’t understand the need for a second Kickstarter.

they could take pre-orders like every other company. They would have money up front to pay the suppliers to produce the computer.

A Kickstarter is there ONLY to protect them if they cannot deliver, and it’s the customers that would have no comeback and lose money. 

45 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Well your history being negative (bordering on indicating they stole the money late last year) about this Kickstarter are well documented - so I am guessing you aren't keen on them.

It would have been nice if you could have posted after they shipped to say "hey well I was wrong

at that point, 2 years late and no sign of anything but delays, it wasn’t just me who was wondering if it would see the light if day. That’s not unreasonable.

but they did deliver, the project could have gone better in terms of timeframe, but at least the investors got a great product.

20 minutes ago, ulala said:

at that point, 2 years late and no sign of anything but delays, it wasn’t just me who was wondering if it would see the light if day. That’s not unreasonable.

but they did deliver, the project could have gone better in terms of timeframe, but at least the investors got a great product.

That is almost saying you got it wrong (alongside others) - well done!

25 minutes ago, ulala said:

I just don’t understand the need for a second Kickstarter.

they could take pre-orders like every other company. They would have money up front to pay the suppliers to produce the computer.

I have explained twice about other companies/businesses and how they use Kickstarter extensively and with great success and little fraud. It explains exactly why they use it instead of preorders. Is there some confusion over this use of Kickstarter used in other industries that you don't understand?

Also you said this

The only reason for that would be to cover them if they “lost” the money 

the quotes there are quite telling - you stil believe they are con men despite your "praise" earlier?

I was interested in the initial campaign but learning that you had to solder in a hard-to-find Raspberry Pi to get full functionality put me off. (most of the roms I’ve gathered over the years are in tzx format, as I considered it to be the ‘perfect’ replication of a tape). Likewise, there was an issue with the hdmi or something? I can’t recall now.

I’m in for the second campaign if those things are addressed.

You can buy a Pi pre-soldered. I still haven't put mine in which might give you an idea of how much it is required. Depends what you want to do with it I guess.

TZX is a bit of a red herring on the Next as there's no control over a 'playing' tzx. eg, you can't stop the 'tape' once the first part of a multiload has loaded.

TAP is the way to go really.

The HDMI power issue is annoying and apparently will be one of the minor fixes in the new kickstarter. HDMI timing not being Spectrum-exact I'm not so sure about.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I was interested in the initial campaign but learning that you had to solder in a hard-to-find Raspberry Pi to get full functionality put me off. (most of the roms I’ve gathered over the years are in tzx format, as I considered it to be the ‘perfect’ replication of a tape). Likewise, there was an issue with the hdmi or something? I can’t recall now.

I’m in for the second campaign if those things are addressed.

you don’t actually have to soldier it in. You can buy a header at https://store.activeconsult.co.uk/shop/ols/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w-with-next-header

15 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

You do seem to say this sort of stuff about every single thing released... Are you okay ulala? Becoming a trend :lol:

About the Vega, and what happened there

the next team got bogged down in development problems for years, there was a time when people thought it would never be released. But they did! And despite a couple of problems, it seems genuinely good. 

if I could order off amazon for £200, i would do it right now.

im tempted by the Kickstarter. But as a customer it gives me zero protection. The money could be lost, what happens if the next team pay upfront (or half the production cost) to their manufacturers and (the manufacturers)  go out of business / into administration? It’s no fault of the next team, they haven’t stolen the money, It happens.

But with no product, I’d lose my money.

as a customer. what benefit do I get from a company using Kickstarter? Zero.

7 minutes ago, ulala said:

as a customer. what benefit do I get from a company using Kickstarter? Zero.

That's a risk of using KS for everyone but seeing as they've achieved a full production run its less risky than a newer KS by someone fresh. Question is do you want the product enough to take a chance? If not you can buy one on eBay for £600/700. That's all there is to it. You seem to be negative about everything new even when it comes to stuff sold in actual places like Amazon. What more do you want? You never seem to buy any of this stuff either in any thread I've seen you post in. What are you trying to achieve with such negativity all the time?

I think Ulala is just one of those people where nothing but original games running on authentic hardware is good enough. 

Nothing wrong with that, I know a lot of people like that in the retro scene. But it does come over a bit Negative Nigel when it's in the context of this folder where people often speak quite keenly about emulation, remade consoles etc. 

On 30/07/2020 at 16:58, gone fishin' said:

Until they do go down that sort of commercial route, I think the Next is going to be destined as a hobbyist machine and not much more

Surely it was only envisioned as a hobbyist machine? It’s hardly going to be a mass market item.

One extra thing that interests me in the Next, is its online capability - thought ive never seen that part reviewed.

Does anyone use the nextel thingy?

6 minutes ago, ulala said:

One extra thing that interests me in the Next, is its online capability - thought ive never seen that part reviewed.

Does anyone use the nextel thingy?

I don’t think that anything new has been added to it yet. 

I applied to add content under the Retro Asylum banner, which was agreed and unfortunately I’ve not heard anything back. I know that the two guys running Nxtel have been busy with real life so I’m hoping everyone can start adding content soon.

2DX13Bh.jpg

1 hour ago, Swainy said:

I don’t think that anything new has been added to it yet. 

I applied to add content under the Retro Asylum banner, which was agreed and unfortunately I’ve not heard anything back. I know that the two guys running Nxtel have been busy with real life so I’m hoping everyone can start adding content soon.

2DX13Bh.jpg

thanks dean, that’s what I would like to do as well