rllmuk
Robo_1

The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

That's a very high goal at £250,000. I'm concerned that once the fans and hobbyists have contributed, they'll still fall short. 

Still looks about 100000 times more professional than the Vega or Vega+.

38 minutes ago, Goose said:

That's a very high goal at £250,000. I'm concerned that once the fans and hobbyists have contributed, they'll still fall short. 

Still looks about 100000 times more professional than the Vega or Vega+.

the vega+ raised half a million altho Im assuming in longer than 30 days

I am backing this and I am c64 man from back in the day but this looks like alot of fun and maybe I'll play those old spectrum games ;)

• Upvote 2

Backed! That's the biggest pledge I've ever made on Kickstarter. I decided to go for the Next Plus with the laser etching. I had originally gone for the joystick package, but that doesn't seem to be be the Next Plus Spec, or include laser engraving. Very surprised by the total needed, but I'm hopeful they will achieve it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Swainy said:

£100,446 now.

They're raising a flood of cash. I think they'll be two thirds done by the end of the day. The last bit may may be a push, but I think they'll comfortably cross the finish line. :) Hope the final thing comes in a proper box and everything. I wonder what their post campaign plans are, will they try and get it into retail? Why not I guess?

19 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

They're raising a flood of cash. I think they'll be two thirds done by the end of the day. The last bit may may be a push, but I think they'll comfortably cross the finish line. :) Hope the final thing comes in a proper box and everything. I wonder what their post campaign plans are, will they try and get it into retail? Why not I guess?

I doubt they will struggle. The Vega+ despite being a disaster after the campaign managed to bring in over half a million. 

Tempted to jump on board, but equally tempted to build a Harlequin as a soldering project. [emoji848]

Any word on what the wifi/RTC module will mean, in terms of applications? I'm not interested in a toy web browser, but if the wifi would allow web-based multiplayer gaming, I could be interested.

I'm incredibly excited by this. I got a bit fed up doing Spectrum graphics for a couple of reasons - the restrictions are exhausting and sometimes you just want to produce an 8 frame walk cycle for all sprites and not have to worry about adding details and the Spectrum scene itself can be quite toxic.

But after a break and doing non-Spectrum pixel art and seeing that known Spectrum developers of classic games are getting involved...I mean, I've already signed up to do a new loading screen for the Next version of Rex! 

• Upvote 6

This will easily hit it's goal well before the end of the campaign. I did like the dig at the Vega+ campaign in there, nicely done.

I would say I'm more of a C64 person these days but do own two Spectrums and have great nostalgia for them, so I backed the Next Plus. Really interested in the sound capabilities, 3xAY+FM. As someone who makes chip music I'd love to see a decent tracker using all that power.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully somebody will sort out the World of Spectrum API (or write their own database) and WiFi will integrate seamlessly with it (and load the corresponding games). A few emulators have done this (the DS Speccy emulator used to) as well as that tape emulator app - but since Lee took over WoS, it's ended up borked... 

Im deciding on which one to back, either the £175 "basic" one or the Plus - but I'm honestly not sure if there's much need for WiFi or a real time clock.... I can't see many online multiplayer games being developed, the install base is too small...

47 minutes ago, moora said:

Hopefully somebody will sort out the World of Spectrum API (or write their own database) and WiFi will integrate seamlessly with it (and load the corresponding games). A few emulators have done this (the DS Speccy emulator used to) as well as that tape emulator app - but since Lee took over WoS, it's ended up borked... 

Im deciding on which one to back, either the £175 "basic" one or the Plus - but I'm honestly not sure if there's much need for WiFi or a real time clock.... I can't see many online multiplayer games being developed, the install base is too small...

The Vega + guy is behind WOS these days and he's effectively running it into the ground. Has had loads of decent offers from help to improve the site but he refuses to let go of the reins leaving the sorry state it is today.

I'm going to see how it goes if it looks like it's struggling to hit 250K I'll drop for the Plus edition.

They're coming up to 183k. If you go to the front page, you can see the backers add to the total every few minutes, I think this is going to be a huuuuuuuge hit. Good, the more they sell, the more developers will be on board.

This just popped up on the FB group:

Hey guys, I will try to clarify the doubts about the Wi-Fi, RTC and Raspberry Pi Zero that I saw in the numerous posts.

First, any "old software" will work exactly the same, even if your version of Next does not have these accessories. Anyway, anyone who gets the base version can add the extras at a later date with some minor soldering.

What is RTC?
Adds a real-time clock to the system. The esxDOS already uses it to put date and time in the files, but the new games will be able to use it for some location, day/night, some kind of timming or anything else you can imagine, related to time.

What is necessary?
Battery holder, battery, frequency crystal, DS1307 DIP.

Need to solder?
Yes, all components will be soldered on the Next board.

What is Wi-Fi?
Adds the ability to connect Next to the internet. Besides the possibility to list and load games directly from partner sites, we could have multiplayer games, chats and maybe even an MMORPG, who knows.

What is necessary?
Pin header, ESP8266 and a TTL-USB module. You need this module the first time to write the firmware on ESP8266 and after that it no longer necessary.

Need to solder?
Yes, the header pin goes soldered on the Next board.

What is the RPi / Accelerator Board?
It will function as a co-processor, in addition to the possibility of putting USB peripherals to the Next, also being able to function as a second monitor, to debugging for example, or even we could have games using two independent monitors, or games with hardware video acceleration.

What is necessary?
Pin Header, Raspberry Pi, SD card with firmware. (Firmware is free and open sourced)

Need to solder?
Yes, the pin header will be soldered in Raspberry Pi and this will be connected to the header already on the Next board.

Yeah, I'm still hoping they'll add a few stretch goals or add the option to upgrade a current order to include some of these extras. I'm not particularly handy when it comes to soldering and opening things up, but I'd love to add the pi board to my order, as I can see it being used in interesting ways in the future.

Getting ever closer towards the £200,000 mark!

I've pledged for the Wifi and RTC version. I'm not too keen on the soldering idea.

The most I've done is a few JAMMA connectors and controllers for my Supergun.

£192,504 now! Impressive the Speccy can easily bring in so much. There must be a bigger commercial market out there for this sort of stuff, this is all solely from an online KS.