rllmuk
Robo_1

The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

I finally got to have a play with the current prototype Next at Revival this weekend.

9e1Qbo4.jpg

Got to say that it’s hard not to be impressed with the way that it looks. Jim showed me what the problem was with certain key strokes.

What really impressed me though was what can now be achieved in basic. They had a very slick Bomber Man clone running which looked like an early’ish 16bit game, which had totally been written in basic.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Swainy said:

What really impressed me though was what can now be achieved in basic. They had a very slick Bomber Man clone running which looked like an early’ish 16bit game, which had totally been written in basic.

If the machine can process basic fast enough, is there any reason why it cannot be as fast as machine coded games from back in the day?

1 minute ago, ulala said:

If the machine can process basic fast enough, is there any reason why it cannot be as fast as machine coded games from back in the day?

Well that’s the thing, if I hadn’t of been told & shown that this game was running in basic then I would have thought that it was machine code.

1 minute ago, Swainy said:

Well that’s the thing, if I hadn’t of been told & shown that this game was running in basic then I would have thought that it was machine code.

i might be able to code my own game then! 

Just now, ulala said:

i might be able to code my own game then! 

Yeah. I’m certainly going to give it a try once I receive mine, as I used to dabble in basic a lot when I was younger.

8 hours ago, Swainy said:

I finally got to have a play with the current prototype Next at Revival this weekend.

9e1Qbo4.jpg

Got to say that it’s hard not to be impressed with the way that it looks. Jim showed me what the problem was with certain key strokes.

Just as a recap, the last update was waiting for three different keyboard membranes to be tested, with the hope that one would work correctly (let's remember, this is over a year they've been working on the keyboard). They were hoping for an update within a week and the membrane would go into production.

Except there hasn't been an official update in over a month with an unofficial update through twitter that the manufacturer was testing different membrane designs, because I presume the previous ones didn't work.

Now, there's been no official change on the release date - which is still official "End of Q2". That would be 13 days from now.

So while it's nice to see them carting the only working Next to various shows, it's incredibly frustrating that there's zero official updates from them. 

• Upvote 1