1 hour ago, Yoshimax said:

Ooft.

Speaking to Eurogamer, a representative of CD Projekt RED explained the situation.

In short, it's a matter of priorities.

"Since we want to fully focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent [standalone game], and converting The Witcher 3: Wild Huntfrom a full HD game into a 4K one [on console] would be too much of a time and resource-consuming process, we decided not to release an edition of Wild Hunt supporting the new features of PlayStation Pro."

I’m glad they changed their minds but what they initially said is essentially the definition of reluctance. 

• Empathy 1
7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m glad they changed their minds but what they initially said is essentially the definition of reluctance. 

So what? It doesn’t negate the point plenty of devs are going back and doing the work.

If you want to go further MS funded this particular upgrade and now Pro owners will eventually get HDR because of it.

So maybe now wasn't the time to dig out the post you've weirdly bookmarked to "ooft" at, because what he said isn't wrong. 

If you look at the list of X enhanced games, very few of the third party ones were released before the PS4 Pro launched and these midgen upgrades started being taken into account for release. 

• Empathy 1

So just to recap we’re pointing and laughing at someone who said a) a console won’t be able run Witcher 3 at 4k60, and b) devs are reluctant to go back and patch old games, because Witcher 3 got patched? Even though it can’t do 4K60 and only got an update because Microsoft bankrolled it? Is that what’s happening? Or have a had a drink too many?

• Empathy 1
6 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

So just to recap we’re pointing and laughing at someone who said a) a console won’t be able run Witcher 3 at 4k60, and b) devs are reluctant to go back and patch old games, because Witcher 3 got patched? Even though it can’t do 4K60 and only got an update because Microsoft bankrolled it? Is that what’s happening? Or have a had a drink too many?

I believe the original context was also 4k60 PC Ultra settings :)

• Upvote 1

The original context was that I was out of my mind for suggesting such a thing could happen.  Fucking know it all's piled on waving their PC knowledge about as if it had any relevance. Impossible, never happen, it'll cost far too much etc....

Ultimately I played the Witcher 3 for a bit last night and it looked brilliant on my console, even on my cheap assed TV. I'm enjoying my X a lot at the moment and that's only going to get exponentially better over 2018 and beyond. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The original context was that I was out of my mind for suggesting such a thing could happen.  Fucking know it all's piled on waving their PC knowledge about as if it had any relevance. Impossible, never happen, it'll cost far too much etc....

But it hasn't happened. It uses dynamic scaling and apparently doesn't go anywhere near native 4K in performance mode. 

-Graphics mode uses dynamic resolution. Lowest 2620x1480, highest 3840x2160. With a pretty much locked 30fps.
- Performance mode. Goes from lowest 1920x1080 to highest 2650x1490. 55/60fps on average. With dips to 40fps in Novigrad.

Interesting that they've not used checkerboarding where as the Pro does use it but doesn't dynamically scale its resolution. So two very different approaches used. Sounds like the dynamic scaler is the better portion though as it gives a locked 30fps. 

I'd be quite chuffed with that performance from a £450 console. Anything better and i'd expect to need to play it on a £900 PC.

It's horses for courses isnt it. If you have an ultra spec PC and can play it a 4K 60fps, well done and enjoy.

If you have an Xbox One X and and 4K tv, enjoy your slightly less shiny game.

It amazes me that people care so much about hardly noticeable differences in graphics. HDR makes a tangible difference, HD from SD is a tangible difference. 4K native to 4K or slightly sub 4K checkerboard is barely noticeable in my opinion. 

• Upvote 8

Is that directed at me? I watched that video on my TV and thought even the performance mode looked great. And I totally agree with you on the HDR front. The performance is unquestionably impressive, especially as the PS4 Pro only has one mode which is essentially 30fps with dips.

I'm just confused by Boozy's "they called me crazy, they said it would never happen" moment, because it hasn't happened.

• Upvote 4
6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is that directed at me? I watched that video on my TV and thought even the performance mode looked great. And I totally agree with you on the HDR front. The performance is unquestionably impressive, especially as the PS4 Pro only has one mode which is essentially 30fps with dips.

I'm just confused by Boozy's "they called me crazy, they said it would never happen" moment, because it hasn't happened.

No not at all mate, wasn't directed at anyone. The point I was trying to make (badly) was that I'd be happy with that performance from a £450 console. A beefed up PC will of course look better, but to my untrained eye it would only look marginally better. I can't tell the difference between full 4k and checkerboard 4k, or even sub 4k.

• Upvote 1
On 21/12/2017 at 00:52, Nate Dogg III said:

Id rather not but:

b) devs are reluctant to go back and patch old games

Halo5

DangerZone

Gears4

Tomb Raider

Witcher3

Ghost Recon

COD IW

DR4

Elite:Dangerous

Fortnite

Fallout4

Skyrim

Gears3

Halo3

Halo5

Hitman

Killer Instinct

Killing Floor2

Mantis Burn Racing

Mirrors Edge

Quantum Break

Re:Core

Redout

Slime Rancher

Steep

Skate 3

The Witcher 3

Titanfall2

Warhammer:Vermintide

and whatever else I don’t have installed.

1 hour ago, clippa said:

Would you rather CD Projekt spent their time and money working on a new game or making the xbox version look slightly better, genuine question.

Making a new game, for sure.

I have a relatively powerful PC but spend most of my time on console. It’s the comfort factor for me. Recently though I’ve been playing Destiny 2 more on PC with guys from here. I think it’s a better game on PC.

Gaming is a hobby. People have different needs when it comes to their hobbies. Take a train set for example. Some people just collect the sets and keep them in the box. Some people have small sets going around the floor. Some people convert their lofts and have mini cities made out of their train sets. Gaming is the same. Some people have an hour or so at the weekend to spare so fire up the PlayStation for a game of Fifa. Some people play every night on an RPG on the Xbox or PC. Some people, the enthusiasts shall we say, like having the latest kit and buy incrimental upgrades, be it the PS4 Pro, Xbox One X or a ryzen or I7 and a new graphics card. I consider myself a poor enthusiast. I have a pro and X, but can only afford an old i7 and a 1050ti.....I would love a new i7 and 1080 though.

But yeah, resolution etc matters to some people and that’s cool, I’m happy if the game runs smooth, looks good and doesn’t have game breaking bugs.

I still don't give a fuck about framerates and resolution. I only post them to see the reaction from the likes of yourself to no longer having the bragging rights of something which is essentially irrelevant to gaming as a whole and was used as a differentiator for years to allow certain posters here  to lord it over others because they had nothing else. Has been for the whole gen. I never had an issue with how Xbox games ran or looked, despite the constant  insistance that better existed elsewhere. I have never been short of something to play despite not having access to the games exclusive to other platforms. I bought an X instead of a PS4 or a Switch because it offered an improvement to what I'd already invested in and I've no interest in another ecosystem until they're dirt cheap  if ever. 

If these comparisons show I've invested wisely or poorly I'm glad to be informed but ultimately I've been gaming since Mini Munchman on an LCD screen and everything is amazing to me.

• Upvote 3
17 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I still don't give a fuck about framerates and resolution. I only post them to see the reaction from the likes of yourself to no longer having the bragging rights of something which is essentially irrelevant to gaming as a whole and was used as a differentiator for years to allow certain posters here  to lord it over others because they had nothing else. Has been for the whole gen. I never had an issue with how Xbox games ran or looked, despite the constant  insistance that better existed elsewhere. I have never been short of something to play despite not having access to the games exclusive to other platforms. I bought an X instead of a PS4 or a Switch because it offered an improvement to what I'd already invested in and I've no interest in another ecosystem until they're dirt cheap  if ever. 

If these comparisons show I've invested wisely or poorly I'm glad to be informed but ultimately I've been gaming since Mini Munchman on an LCD screen and everything is amazing to me.

You're living in the past.