4 hours ago, Flub said:

I just went on a spending spree at Amazon. I currently have my PC, PS4 Pro, XB1 and Switch hooked up to a single 27 inch 1080P monitor (The PC has a second 24 inch 1080P monitor as well).

Since I have a Pro and I'm getting an X I decided to buy a 4k Monitor to go with it, and a 4k hdmi switcher and some cheap 4k hdmi cables. All coming tomorrow. I can't wait.

The monitor doesn't have HDR which is a shame (I'm told HDR is still rare on PC monitors) but I really don't have room for a TV in the gaming room so this is it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D7OZR2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that monitor and it’s great. Turn to SRGB mode, whack the brightness (backlight) to 5-10 and it looks lovely in 4k (or anything from 1440p upscaled).  Native 1080p (or less) upscaled, doesn’t look to hot, so you might want to keep the other monitor for gaming in lower res. Great response time too, but a fair bit of backlight bleed, unless you keep brightness low. (Hopefully improved in your batch).

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

I have that monitor and it’s great. Turn to SRGB mode, whack the brightness (backlight) to 5-10 and it looks lovely in 4k (or anything from 1440p upscaled).  Native 1080p (or less) upscaled, doesn’t look to hot, so you might want to keep the other monitor for gaming in lower res. Great response time too, but a fair bit of backlight bleed, unless you keep brightness low. (Hopefully improved in your batch).

Cheers for that. Yeah. My plan is to run the PC on the 1080P monitor as primary and the Pro, X and Switch on the new 4k one. The setup I have allows for that easily. My PC sound runs separately to the same speaker as the monitor sound output too. I'll see how it goes anyway.

I nearly ordered a UHD BD movie but then remembered I won't have a player until the X comes out :)

I've was fiddling with the colours on my current monitors last week and rapidly realised I got the best output by switching them to srgb and in the case of the PC making further tweaks via the nvidia drivers. The 27 inch Asus I can get looking super badass. The less good 24 inch BENQ is thankfully being retired from active service :)

I hope Wolfenstein and COD have good X versions because I took a chance and went with Microsoft this round.

Looking forward to hearing what it sounds like while running.  I've grown used to having a near silent console and it irks me greatly to hear the fans blowing like a bastard on my OG PS4. I'd rather they'd have stuck to the OG Xbox One size, to be honest.

What's the S like in comparison the OG XBox One? 

50 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Looking forward to hearing what it sounds like while running.  I've grown used to having a near silent console and it irks me greatly to hear the fans blowing like a bastard on my OG PS4. I'd rather they'd have stuck to the OG Xbox One size, to be honest.

I sit about 6 feet away currently and can’t hear anything. It’s as quiet as the OG but without the potentially whiney brick.

4 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

I have that monitor and it’s great. Turn to SRGB mode

Not sure that's best for consoles, they output, or at least they should output rec709 (Xbone had a bug early on that output games in sRGB - wrongly referred to as black crush - but that's been fixed now). You'll find everything looks very bright and lifted using sRGB as its gamma is very different to rec709. 

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

The S is tiny in comparison to the VCR Bone. It’s like 40% the size. 

The X is about the same size and will likely be silent, as it uses a fancy liquid cooling solution. 

Do keep up! 

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Not sure that's best for consoles, they output, or at least they should output rec709 (Xbone had a bug early on that output games in sRGB - wrongly referred to as black crush - but that's been fixed now). You'll find everything looks very bright and lifted using sRGB as its gamma is very different to rec709. 

The image is mint; no excessive brightness/crush. Every shade in the contrast/brightness bars on test patterns are displayed perfectly with no clipping at all. If the gamma is too high it’s not by much. 

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The S is tiny in comparison to the VCR Bone. It’s like 40% the size. 

The X is about the same size and will likely be silent, as it uses a fancy liquid cooling solution. 

Do keep up! 

yeah I know the S is smaller but I'm still interested in the noise level. Nothing worse than hearing your console whooshing away when you'd rather JUST hear the game. 

Also. Do keep up,  The Xbox One X doesn't have liquid cooling. It's a vapour chamber. Different to

liquid cooling. Also it still has a fan so it'll be interesting to see if it's still quiet. 

Surely some sort of exclusivity - wether it's timed, features or outright. 

I hope this isn't all they've got to talk about at Paris Games Week and that if they are buying exclusivity that it hasn't jeopardised an original production.  

#Moan

Edit: on a more positive note, is there anywhere I can see what downsampling looks like on X1X at 1080p?