IGNORED

Flipnic!

multi

Got this (and Gregory Horror Show - w00t!) Saturday morning and have played it quite a bit. Levels are huge and can leave you bewildered for a while until you think you've figured out what to do. Graphics and sound are phenomenally good - especially the overlays and events ('Freeze Over' is esp. well done).

Only criticism is the angle is too low on the first table to judge some ramps properly. Other than that it's a tenner very well spent.

Ahh.. Gregory Horror Show... such a good game.. at a tenner as it is now, it's more worth getting than Flipnic even.

Resident Evil + Metal Gear Solid + Animal Crossing + Parappa graphics style = Gregory Horror

#do you know my name?# <_<

My UK copy still hasn't turned up from Play yet :) If that's the way its going to be then as soon as it arrives I am sending it back. Especially as it seems from the way you lot talk they have cocked it up, no 60 hz mode, no cool voiceover and no analogue control..

Ahh.. Gregory Horror Show... such a good game.. at a tenner as it is now, it's more worth getting than Flipnic even.

Resident Evil + Metal Gear Solid + Animal Crossing + Parappa graphics style = Gregory Horror

#do you know my name?# :(

JUDGEMEEEENNNNNTTTTTT!!

;)

JUSTTIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEEE!

;)

Judgement, you spaz.

JUSTTIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEEE!

;)

Judgement, you spaz.

Right. Fixed.

It was late, ok?

let me iterate again ... its ok and definately worth a tenner ... but its still not a good game

someone here always bangs on about how people put up with averageness annoys him and now i'm begining to see where he's coming from (after disagreeing for so long)

flipnic is average, quirky at best, it certainly isnt a good game

I think Flipnic is a good game.

Not perfect, obviously, perhaps not even 'brilliant', but most definitely good, at least.

It does suffer from the same problems as actual pinball however, that being the near total lack of control you have 90% of the time, leading to unavoidable loss of lives.

Fine for those actual pinball machines, because they're pretty much meant to be a 'gamble', but not in a videogame.

Also, loved that 4th world 'Breakout'-style 2D level! Have to wait until I can unlock it properly though. Having a bit of trouble on the second world still (finding.... anything!) - not as pretty (or as interesting) as the first world either.

7/10

the near total lack of control you have 90% of the time, leading to unavoidable loss of lives.

Fine for those actual pinball machines, because they're pretty much meant to be a 'gamble', but not in a videogame.

The lack of control seems to be highly exaggerated in Flipnic, I find I can manipulate the ball with a lot more accuracy in other pinball games on various formats. The compact nature of most of Flipnic's areas just compounds this and does lead to frustration and rapid loss of ballage.

the near total lack of control you have 90% of the time, leading to unavoidable loss of lives.

The lack of control seems to be highly exaggerated in Flipnic, I find I can manipulate the ball with a lot more accuracy in other pinball games on various formats. The compact nature of most of Flipnic's areas just compounds this and does lead to frustration and rapid loss of ballage.

Yes, they've improved it somewhat by adding those bumper things inbetween the flippers and down the sides.

Though another problem with it is that the same button for left-flipper also pushes in/out the bumpers around the level. A bit silly, no?

Yes, they've improved it somewhat by adding those bumper things inbetween the flippers and down the sides.

Though another problem with it is that the same button for left-flipper also pushes in/out the bumpers around the level. A bit silly, no?

Totally agree. I'd rather that feature wasn't there. Seeing the ball plop of the end of the table knowing that I could have stopped it if only the controls weren't so, erm.. odd, is pure frustration.

Also, loved that 4th world 'Breakout'-style 2D level! Have to wait until I can unlock it properly though. Having a bit of trouble on the second world still (finding.... anything!) - not as pretty (or as interesting) as the first world either.

Yes - it does seem to be a bit different...

And the optics table is just a graphical delight. If apparently hard.

However:

Note to developers - multiplayer options should not be unlockables.

However:

Yes.

Are they unlockable? I didn't check properly to be honest. I thought you could just select them in the 'multiplayer' mode at the main menu?

It's rediculous.

It could of been alot better. They'll proberly sort it for the sequal I'd imagine, along with better controls ect.

I bet nobody has done that before...

i live my life in highlighted bullet points - its the price of being a highly paid exec in the tops turvy world of high end economic business

Would a career like that not involve being able to speak / write legible english at all?

Or is your high powered life simply too fast for capitals, commas etc.?

Like in those unbearable flu-drug adverts. "She's crying off!"

Guest Penguin_Lad

Yes - it does seem to be a bit different...

And the optics table is just a graphical delight. If apparently hard.

However:

Monkey ball was slammed for it <_<

Guest Penguin_Lad
It's gone up to £12.99 on Play now. Popularity drives up prices. Bah!

Wow it's like some sort of supply/demand thing! I could write a book on that...

Gamecentral gave it a 7 today but in their review they said you need to love pinball, is this true??

Not really.

I'm no big fan of proper pinball, but it's still a laugh to play.

It has many pinball elements to it, totally, but it's a bit more varied and videogame-ish.

A 7/10 seems about right*, preferences and budget price aside.

*On the hallowed Edge/Games/Gamestyle scale, naturally.

I'd have to agree with most of the comments here - it's a good game with amazing presentation and loads of imagination - but...

Ball Physics - and Flipper Physics in particular - aren't much cop at all, making it more a game of chance than skill sadly.

The first time you do "UFO Quiz Show" it's cool - but the 5th is tiresome beyond belief and I suspect other minigames will similarly grate...

Worst problem of all for me tho has been crashes. In the first 4 games I played it locked up totally on me THREE times. I'd been playing for 3 hours before I saw the "GAME OVER" screen FFS!

This makes it the buggiest game I've ever played on a console - so buggy, in fact, that I'm put off going back to it by the thought of losing-out somewhere further through the game.

Every lock-up has been on the first level 'MULTI BALL' stage tho - usually when you lose the last ball although not always. Symptoms always the same tho - controls stop working and 5-10 secs later the screen goes black and it's reset time.

Aside from crashes I've seen balls pass through flippers too - which would REALLY tee me off if I were close to a major event!!

Not really good enough that is it? Shame really, makes it hard to recommend it and it should be so recommendable...

JP