IGNORED

Flipnic!

multi

Any ideas on how to reach Zero Gravity on the first table on Normal difficulty? I can climb the mountain after Freeze Over with relative ease, but once I fire off the blue flipper at the very top, the ball just drops back down from the top of the screen as if there's no pathway upwards (on Easy difficulty, of course, it's just a matter of knocking out the blue light at the very top and then zipping up the tunnel into Zero Gravity).

Relatedly, today I have discovered that playing the game on Normal is much more enjoyable than the seemingly interminable Easy default.

Any ideas on how to reach Zero Gravity on the first table on Normal difficulty? I can climb the mountain after Freeze Over with relative ease, but once I fire off the blue flipper at the very top, the ball just drops back down from the top of the screen as if there's no pathway upwards (on Easy difficulty, of course, it's just a matter of knocking out the blue light at the very top and then zipping up the tunnel into Zero Gravity).

Enh. Just did it there, possibly through activating the entryway by collecting certain bonuses on the mountain face. Possibly not.

Zero Gravity, then.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Enh. Just did it there, possibly through activating the entryway by collecting certain bonuses on the mountain face. Possibly not.

Zero Gravity, then.

I thought you had to get all the coins on the face before the top would open?

Went to Bluewater today, did a sweep of GAME, HMV, and Virgin. No copies of Flipnic to be seen anywhere!

Looks like the only place to buy is on the interweb.

Not being able to get the game just makes me want it more.

AND

Flipnic is the next Ico/Rez.

i.e. Short, quirky, love-it or hate it and only on the PS2.

Actually I fired up Rez yesterday as a substitute for not being able to play Flipnic.

Flipnic is ace so far, played about half an hour. Still on the first table.

I used to have a "home" pinball machine, it was tiny but the flippers worked mechanically, so the thing you pushed in was directly connected to the flipper. This meant you could have incredible control over the flippers, hooking the ball around all over the place, etc. I was very disappointed when I found you couldn't do this on a real pinball machine.

True, modern pinball machines are operated by simple switches. However, a very important thing to take into account is how the mind works. If you hammer hard at a button, there's a good chance you will actually make the flipper flip up that little bit faster/earlier. Not by much, but still enough for one to think that you really are interacting in real time with the flipper.

Taking away that element onto a home console, and you are losing much of the interactivity IMO.

It's tempting to ask someone to build a pinball style controller, just for pinball games. I wonder if it would make much difference...

Hmm... yeah, but I used to do this thing where, if the ball rolled on to the flipper, I could slow it down by gradually increasing the gradient of the flipper while the ball rolled along it, and just hook it up and across to the other side, for instance. No way to do that with a switch.

Hmm, a pinball controller would be fun. Would probably be easy-ish?

It's crashed a second time now. How truly truly rubbish.

Other than that, it reminds me of Vagrant Story. Weird connection, I know, but that was dependent on successive chaining and resultant reqard. Same here. If you manage to ace a chain of missions, secure some extra balls/points, then great. If you drop a ball, then get a cut scene, then fail again from a slippy finger, then it's frustrating. Obviously that's how skill and fail/reward drives dedication, but some elements of this are so choppy you either get into a pattern and LOVE it or play it for twenty minutes and feel left cold.

Mine's been on since 11am this morning. I only play in stints cos I get bored sitting in my room for any longer than 10mins so I've left it on so I don't lose what I've done.

Been back and played it quite a few times, it's fine so far... no crashes.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Hmm... yeah, but I used to do this thing where, if the ball rolled on to the flipper, I could slow it down by gradually increasing the gradient of the flipper while the ball rolled along it, and just hook it up and across to the other side, for instance. No way to do that with a switch.

Hmm, a pinball controller would be fun. Would probably be easy-ish?

Perhaps make an old fashioned pinball videogame :rolleyes:

Yeah it should be easy really. Ish.

Went to Bluewater today, did a sweep of GAME, HMV, and Virgin. No copies of Flipnic to be seen anywhere!

Looks like the only place to buy is on the interweb.

Not being able to get the game just makes me want it more.

AND

Flipnic is the next Ico/Rez.

i.e. Short, quirky, love-it or hate it and only on the PS2.

Actually I fired up Rez yesterday as a substitute for not being able to play Flipnic.

I played REZ instead as well. I only sw Flipnic in an independent store for 20 quid. That is too much for my budget

I haven't played a more fucked up game. It's crazy.

I can't believe no one's mentioned the sound yet*?! It's unbelievably good.

I like this game a lot, dunno how long for though.

* haven't actually read the whole thread.

I thought I mentioned the sound in my review, but maybe not it's quite nice in a jazzy way, and that announcer is brilliant. I've not got my UK copy yet, does the woman talk totally in english now or is half of it in japanese?

Guest Penguin_Lad
I thought I mentioned the sound in my review, but maybe not it's quite nice in a jazzy way, and that announcer is brilliant. I've not got my UK copy yet, does the woman talk totally in english now or is half of it in japanese?

All english it seems.

Its great, it sounds so cheesy in a "It makes me smile" kinda way.

Flipnic. It's quite good. It's got some great, original ideas. Looks and sounds good. The overall presentation and feel are very charming.

But it's not great.

The ball physics seem to be well off and I don't feel like I've got as much control over the thing as I have in other pinball games. I never feel like I can ping the ball exactly where I want it, time after time. It all seems a bit cheap.

The actual missions are a bit vague. Again, you do need to treat Flipnic a bit differently but I like the table to tell me what to do rather than have to pause and read about what to do next.

Raising and lowering bumpers with the flipper buttons is an OK idea but it never really works IMO. It adds an unwanted level of complexity. The help sections rightly explain why you should really use only one flipper at a time (ie manicly flipping both increases the gap for the ball to fall through) but contradicts this theory by making you use both flippers to rearrange bumpers, move your monkey etc. It just doesn't help the game flow and it ends up feeling a bit like a button basher.

Plus, unskippable cut scenes = very annoying. Crashes = very annoying and unforgivable. Unlocking additional tables = very annoying.

I only paid a tenner and it's worth that but it could've been so, so good. Shame.