rllmuk
Strategos

Punisher - Season 2 out now

I just started season 1 of this but it feels like I'm missing something. They keep referring to everyone thinking he's dead and now Karen has showed up from Daredevil. Do I need to watch all of that? I got bored half way through season 1. 

Thanks. A few more episodes in and it seems to have moved past all that. Still really enjoying it. 

Does Madani ever develop any likeable characteristics or is she just a complete bore throughout?

Decided to skip the second season after seeing hunky Jigsaw and finding out that Madani was carried through to season 2. A big problem for me with this series is that Frank Castle is such a whirlwind that everyone else just feels dull next to him, and whenever things turn to focus on them it’s much easier to turn off. Micro and his family were exceptions in S1, and Billy was ok, but the entire FBI cast and interminable PTSD unibomber plotlines were soporific. After hearing that S2 has more of the same with Billy and his therapist, Medani, etc, and that they fucked up Jigsaw, it’s much more appealing to just watch the fight scenes on YouTube. 

• Upvote 2

Currently up to episode 8 and agree on the Unibomber lad and Madani. 

The former’s motivations make absolutely no sense whatsoever - there’s bizarre leaps as he moves from troubled kid to gun nut to bomber, none of them really making any sense. 

Madani is just a joke. I don’t watch enough TV to know whether she’s just a bad actress or doing a good job of playing a bad character but crikey. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Highlight of her being on screen so far is what micro did to her with his van. And that trap she set! Absolutely hilarious. The plan is we feed them fake plans and then surprise them by being right in front of them when they walk into a room and stick our heads out and ask them to freeze? Bloody hell.

Daredevil suffered from this as well. The sub plots were just so boring. Is this a Marvel issue or do all TV shows feel the need to have multiple threads regardless of whether or not they’ve got something interesting to say?

Other than that I’m really enjoying it. Some slightly odd bits and things which don’t flow right (we go from threatening to chop a kid’s head off to him giggling and playing catch without skipping a beat). Frank slipping into Bale’s Bat-voice at times is slightly distracting. But otherwise good stuff. 

On 01/02/2019 at 12:48, Fierce Poodle said:

Is there going to be a third series of this on Netflix?

No. Netflix are basically killing anything co-produced with Disney at this point.

So... this ain't that great. It's watchable, but compared to season 1 it's a complete and utter bore. Jigsaw is AWFUL.

31 minutes ago, Meh said:

No. Netflix are basically killing anything co-produced with Disney at this point.

So I guess that’s the end of The Punisher on TV then? I mean, I can’t see it fitting in on Disney’s new streaming service, although it would be quite amusing seeing it alongside the likes of Frozen on the front page.

Just finished S2 and really enjoyed it despite the obvious flaws. Shame this will likely also be cancelled like all their other Marvel shows. 

• Upvote 1

I appreciate how the therapist  can go hand to hand with a homeland agent, who in turn went hand to hand with Billy. 

Punisher code is black and white, he kills criminals but if you mention you have kids  he give you a pass.

This season is just a mess.

13 hours ago, yakumo said:

Punisher code is black and white, he kills criminals but if you mention you have kids  he give you a pass.

Ehhhhhh kinda, but... 

Wasn’t it more the case that he said ‘they have my kids,’ so he had no choice in the matter, rather than ‘wait! I have kids!’ It did feel unlikely that at that stage in the fight, and with how brutal it had gotten, that Frank would’ve just stopped, though.

I have two episodes to go.

I was getting a bit tired half way through but it has ramped up for me from episode 8. It hasn't gripped me like Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad or Godless but compared to other Netflix series, I think it's up there in the Europa League spot.  I wish we had

More of a back story for the Priest as he's a really interesting character - miles more interesting than Billy who is essentially a narcissist. I wish they'd just Billy in hospital for the entire series and just had Priest and his wacky religious cult people vs Frank.

Less of Amy - she's a likeable character in many ways with her odd swearing but she's a square peg and Frank's basically just adopted her which is really weird considering he works alone pretty much all the time in the first series. 

Less of Agent Mundane-oni with her serious face - she's just boring.

More of that weird guy in the morgue who likes ladies shoes - that was a LOL moment.

There's a lot wrong for me but probably more that's right.  It is proper brutal when it gets going and only in this series is he really evolving into The Punisher character - the first series, I felt that he wasn't that character in reality but in this one, he seems to becoming a lot more self-aware of his psychopathy.  I'll miss Frank when I'm done but I don't think I'll miss many of the other characters.

11 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Why haven't they announced its cancellation yet? 

I don't think they announced Luke Cage's for ages.

17 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Why haven't they announced its cancellation yet? 

Maybe because the second season has only just come out? From a marketing perspective I don’t suppose you want to release the new season, then announce it’s being cancelled a month later. Even though we all know, unofficially, that’s the case.

6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I don’t suppose you want to release the new season, then announce it’s being cancelled a month later.

They did with Daredevil and Iron Fist. 

I watched the final two episodes yesterday. I really enjoyed how they ended it as it could go either way - a true finale or they could leave it a few years and bring Frank back for another series on Disney + 

I can now read the thread properly :)

On 07/02/2019 at 08:58, Strategos said:

Yeah i'm struggling to get through season 2, what a shame! 

I’ve given up on it. I really enjoyed season one but season two is just farsical. A lot of the bad guys act like graduates from the A-Team school of goons. 

Its just all rather dull. I think I must have gotten up to episode 6 or 7 so I’ve given it more than enough time to blossom. Meh! :(

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I watched the final two episodes yesterday. I really enjoyed how they ended it as it could go either way - a true finale or they could leave it a few years and bring Frank back for another series on Disney + 

I can now read the thread properly :)

You should read your previous sentence properly; do you really think Disney are the types to bring The Punisher back? :lol:

• Upvote 2

The Punisher walks up to a bunch of goons, pulls out twin uzis, unloads hellfire into said goons killing them bloody well dead while screaming like a man possessed. Hard cut to "In Loving Memory: Stan Lee" 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The Punisher walks up to a bunch of goons, pulls out twin uzis, unloads hellfire into said goons killing them bloody well dead while screaming like a man possessed. Hard cut to "In Loving Memory: Stan Lee" 

:lol: That bit was so wrong it was utterly hilarious.

I'm... not going to miss the show, after that utter garbage season.

Now we have some tepid shite with Jessica Jones coming up, and that's how we end the Netflix MCU. Joy.

I try to never let opinion in here influence when I watch things, but sadly I let the negativity toward Season 2 discourage me from getting into it. Miserable wankers. All of you! :lol:

4 episodes in and the absolute mind boggling ‘make-up’ direction aside (seriously WTF is that all about?!) this is great. I remember there being some negative views about the pace of Season 1  at times but it was a clear choice that more than paid off in the end. There are similar moments here but nothing has detracted from my enjoyment of the show and complete love for Bernthal as Castle. 2 episodes a night until it’s done now and can’t wait to get back on it.