Strategos

Punisher - Season 2 out now

1 minute ago, Garibaldi said:

I think they may be planning it slightly longer term, like how these two seasons have been Frank Castle resisting, but becoming the Punisher nonetheless, they’re also going to show Billy deteriorating into Jigsaw. I think there was a comic arc where Frank fucked up Billy’s face a bit more every time they butted heads, which is a decent idea and I could see them going with that. 

Sounds good, except that this'll almost certainly be the final season!

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

How is it possible I remember so little about season 1. Was Billy the villain his former military buddy gone contractor?

Yes. That final episode was hard to watch. Looking forward to this.

Right now I am really glad Netflix always offers a summary of the previous season when releasing a new one, this time I really need it!

Just now, neoELITE said:

The Punisher season 2 is out today. Just checked and it is listed as 18th Jan but it isn't up yet.

New stuff normally comes about 8am.

@JohnC @neoELITE moved your posts in the megathread to this thread & edited the thread title.

On the show it’s one I’ve not watched but I expect will be cancelled after this season with Netflix not renewing the other Marvel shows.

On 11/01/2019 at 16:39, Illyria said:

Right now I am really glad Netflix always offers a summary of the previous season when releasing a new one, this time I really need it!

I find that a side effect of binge-watching is that I forget stuff much more compared to the old fashioned episode-per-week way of watching.   I still binge mind.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JPickford said:

I find that a side effect of binge-watching is that I forget stuff much more compared to the old fashioned episode-per-week way of watching.   I still binge mind.

Agree about that. There was a study that was reported in the newspapers last year that people who binged remembered less about shows when asked. I tend to watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time and still forget stuff.

I seem to remember the first season being a lot more engaging. Though episode 3:

Spoiler

Police station siege was excellent. Just a shame after that it slows to a crawl.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately this season is a complete mess. Character motivations all over the place, wildly pointless plot strands, questionable morality (yes, even for a Punisher series), strange focus on uninteresting dialogue and just generally uneven pacing. A genuine letdown after the first three enjoyable episodes.

Spoiler

In particular, the relationship between the doctor and Billy is unbelievably boring and generally difficult to believe. There's a scene later on where the doctor character has admitted not caring about a bunch of people being killed, where she then tells a sad story from her past to her murderous boyfriend, which is shot and scored as if we as the audience are supposed to find touchingly sad, which would have worked to develop her character before she came out as a horrible person minutes before. Really hamfisted writing.

I thought the first season was superb. Not sure I’ll bother with this if it’s hard going, there’s too much other stuff available.

14 hours ago, Benny said:

I seem to remember the first season being a lot more engaging. Though episode 3:

Hide contents

Police station siege was excellent. Just a shame after that it slows to a crawl.

Yeah, I'm six episodes in but that seems about right. I was really hooked after the first three and now it's grinding. I do hope it picks up again soon.

Episode 3:

Spoiler

Very Assault on Precinct 13. I liked Frank's tactic of just wounding a bad guy to flush out his buddies who would come to help, and then he just kills all of them. :D

Having recently watched that very movie that's exactly what I was thinking. It's a shame that's probably the high point of the whole series.

Doesn't really pick up after that point to be honest until the last few episodes. The trouble is it's not just filler but also not very good either.

Yes.

Spoiler

The series makes the grave error throughout that we give a shit about him, so it follows Billy for long stretches, including attempting to create some embryonic dark love story that never actually develops much or is believable, rather than focusing on seeing Frank in new and creative situations which is the entire reason for the show to exist.

There's a monumentally stupid bit near the end of the series:

Spoiler

Frank gets tricked by into thinking he shot some women to death by accident while trying to shoot at Billy. While he could have some character development lying in a hospital bed and almost certainly going to jail, detective Midoni goes to the morgue to prove that actually, he can't have killed them, so that Frank doesn't have to worry about having killed "innocents". This ignores all the people he absolutely has killed up to this point, and the detective seems far more interested in the fact that this apparently exonerates Frank rather than the fact three women were still gunned down in cold blood because she sent Frank out to effectively murder someone for her. Karen goes along for the ride too and seems unfazed by this. It's shockingly terrible writing.

I think binge watching something takes something away from the enjoyment of the series. I watched the first episode yesterday on my laptop as the Mrs wanted to watch The Greatest Showman which involved lots of singing and a woman with big tits and a beard. 

The Punisher isn't the greatest Netflix show ever or anything but it's not terrible. The first series was a bit stretched out in places but if you put all the highlights together, you'd probably change your mind. 

I thought episode 1 was a bit wtf?! What the hell is this! Until

The bar fight - holy shit, brutal stuff - how many times did he hit that guy in the face with the shotgun? The sound effect was horrible.

I liked the first episode in the end as it started out by basically telling you that no matter his circumstances, he's a brutal mo fo. 

Netflix are dumping the Marvel stuff because of the upcoming Disney service aren't they? @gospvg - Disney own the rights. 

The first series was great. It was slow burning but it actually did something good with the gradual character development. This one doesn't.