IGNORED

Star Wars - the new canon

Darren

I finished The Falling Star yesterday, and finished the High Republic trilogy along with it. It was a great read, and surprisingly dark. The trilogy has been on quite a journey since Light of the Jedi.

Spoiler

LotJ seemed to be setting up the Jedi, and indeed the Republic as almost too perfect in retrospect, which was clearly a setup for the order to be tested in The Rising Storm and completely battered in The Falling Star. 

The whole book was about the Jedi simply surviving a catastrophic event rather than saving the day, and at great cost. The stakes felt high from the start, and the amount of death was almost exhausting.

Marchion Ro is a brilliant villain, and still shrouded in a lot of mystery. The Great Leveller(s?) are clearly some sort of dark force beings, but does that make Ro a Sith himself? He's shown no sign of being a force user so far, and it would probably be a bit disappointing if things were quite that simple.

Those creatures are absolutely terrifying incidentally, and probably the creepiest foes in the Star Wars canon to date. It helps that we still don't know so much about them, including what they even look like.

I'm really keen to see how the High Republic setting is developed from here. The trilogy did a fantastic job of setting everything up, and it's really exciting to think about all the possibilities from here on out. I think the setting offers way more freedom than the movie time periods, and so far there's little in the way of core canon to get in the way either.

I've got the first two comic volumes ready to read, and no doubt destroy my mental images of all the characters and tech from the novels.

I've been reading Thrawn by Timothy Zahn - it's the first of his new set of "canon" novels, not to be confused with the original Thrawn trilogy from the 80s.

I've never read a Star Wars book before but my son had it and I picked it up because I enjoyed the character in Rebels and fancied an easy read. I don't think it's very good. There are hundreds and hundreds of characters, all of whom drift into the story for a page or two then back out again, so together with all the planet names and ship names you are constantly just trying to keep track of who's who. And as Thrawn is written as a master of strategy, every scenario plays out the same: oh no, all is lost! Wait, Thrawn had it figured out all along.

There are six of these things but unless it seriously picks up in the second half I think this might be as far as I go.

Based on Lost Stars and The Falling Star, I'd recommend anything by Claudia Gray if you're after a good Star Wars read. Lost Stars is probably perfect actually, as it focusses on two original characters during the OT, who go from being childhood friends to serving on opposite sides of the Galactic Civil War. It's technically a YA novel, but I wouldn't let that put you off as it's excellent. It's also more or less standalone.

I did really enjoy the High Republic trilogy though. It probably wouldn't fare much better than Thrawn in the "hundreds and hundreds of characters" area, but they're all great and I really cared about them by the end. All three books have different strengths in my opinion, but they're all good in their own way.

I was intending to read the Thrawn books at some point though. :ph34r:

I've read Light of the Jedi and Into the Dark (which I know isn't a 'main' book, more of a side quest but it's still good) - got The Rising Storm to read next which I'm looking forward to as the first 2 books are really good, particularly Light of the Jedi.

I'll probably read the YA High Republic books at some point. It's really annoying that you can't seem to buy the YA stuff as ebooks in the UK though.

I started Light of the Jedi the other day, currently a third through, though it's too early what to make of it so far it has been hard to follow who's who because there's alot of characters in the first 150 pages.

Having just rediscovered my love of Star Wars (thanks to Disney+, watching the entire series with my 9 year old and the Lego SW game) after a couple of decades in the post-prequel wilderness , I thought I’d pop in here to get some insight in to where to go to get more of the good stuff. I can only say wow, thanks so much to @Darren and @Boothjan for their Herculean recommendation efforts over the last few years.

I’ve ordered the first couple of Marvel collections of Star Wars and Darth Vader comics, Lost Stars novel (hard to get!) and the novelisations of Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. Films I enjoyed but enjoyed but felt there was clearly loads of story  missing. Reading your reviews it looks like these will fill some gaps. 

Got a list of other stuff to try, particularly the Rogue One tie-ins as that is easily the best SW film since ESB. Amazed at how much is out there. I’m giddy with excitement for the Obi-wan series. Think I’m just about ready to forgive George after all these years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 22:08, wev said:

I started Light of the Jedi the other day, currently a third through, though it's too early what to make of it so far it has been hard to follow who's who because there's alot of characters in the first 150 pages.

I’ve heard this complaint from pretty much everyone who’s read it.

There are a lot of characters and it it's definitely hard to remember who's who. There are a handful of major characters who stand out though, and I found it was okay to let the others wash over you. The following two books focus on a smaller number of characters and are easier to follow as a result.

I'd add that I really enjoyed Light of the Jedi regardless of the large cast though.

I'm still reading it (at 92%) its alright. It feels like theyre trying to do the Song of Ice and Fire thing of focusing on a character per chapter, but then they dont and it becomes a location per chapter, jumping between the characters its developed that are in that location. This, in my opinion, leaves it unfocused, and for a story thats set "2000 years before the Skywalker Saga" it kind of feels like the galaxy does at the start of the Phantom Menace.

19 hours ago, wev said:

it kind of feels like the galaxy does at the start of the Phantom Menace

I think that's fair, although I think it feels less cynical. The Jedi are the heroic knights they think they are in TPM, and the Republic is a united and cooperative force for good. It also benefits from being completely decoupled from the Skywalker saga, leaving it free to develop in basically any way it wants.

Oh, sure, that's all true, and I'm excited to see where the series goes (I've got the next book and a couple of the comic volumes that were all recently on offer on Kindle) as it's been refreshing not having a story full of Skywalker's, Tatooine and Alphabet-Wings for a change.

And just finished The Light of the Jedi and whilst my criticisms above still stand, I did enjoy it, I think it pulled it all together by the end and made me want to invest more in the High Republic era.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Oh, sure, that's all true, and I'm excited to see where the series goes (I've got the next book and a couple of the comic volumes that were all recently on offer on Kindle) as it's been refreshing not having a story full of Skywalker's, Tatooine and Alphabet-Wings for a change.

I haven’t read any of the High Republic books yet but the comics are excellent, and I think get better as they go along.