Star Wars - the new canon

Darren

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

This is a very good continuation of the High Republic saga and as with Light of the Jedi, I was entertained throughout and excited about the new characters, new antagonists and new adventures.

I think this was intended as a side story, with The Rising Storm being the actual "part 2", picking up with the LotJ characters. At least I hope that's true because I can't find an ebook version of this one. :seanr:

8 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think this was intended as a side story, with The Rising Storm being the actual "part 2", picking up with the LotJ characters. At least I hope that's true because I can't find an ebook version of this one. :seanr:

Yes, that's correct. I treated it a bit like one of the anthology films as opposed to the next proper instalment. 

Got The Rising Storm on my bookcase which I will be starting after I've read a couple of other (non-Star Wars) books on my long list of shame.

The High Republic is basically three trilogies, one for adults ;

Light of the Jedi

The Rising Storm

The Fallen Star

one for young adults;

Into the Dark

Out of the Shadows

Midnight Horizon

and one for kids;

A Test of Courage

Race to Crashpoint Tower

Mission to Disaster

I'm looking forward to reading the YA books most as they seem to be getting the best reviews so far. Got the adult ones on order from Out of Print in the States though, because pretty covers.

C518063D-C6E5-4997-B23E-ABCFCC02EC6D.jpeg

5AD0B32F-AD79-4B0A-9CED-0C042FD3F0E5.jpeg

On 09/10/2021 at 16:36, Boothjan said:

The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray

Huzzah! A new Star Wars book by Claudia Gray! Always something to look out for. With the High Republic series still in its infancy, I'm very pleased that she has been given the opportunity to introduce and flesh out some really interesting characters. Step forward the main cast of Into the Dark:

Reath Silas - a padawan Jedi

Cohmac Vitus - a seasoned, wise Jedi Master

Orla Jareni - a 'wayseeker' Jedi

Leox Gyasi - captain of The Vessel (a charter ship in the service of the Byne Corporation who the Jedi use to investigate a mysterious space station) - a bit of Han Solo 'scoundrel' about him, a loveable rogue

Affie Hollow - the young first mate of The Vessel

Geode - basically a rock and the 3rd member of The Vessel's crew!

All of these characters are excellent. Really well written, I really hope we see more of all of them as this series continues. So much more to them than the standard Skywalker Saga Jedi, with the supporting cast balancing things out brilliantly.

This book is set during the same time period as Light of the Jedi, with the aforementioned 'Great Disaster' being the catalyst that makes the Jedi take refuge at a mysterious Amaxine space station. But this station has a very dark past, and the Jedi sense the darkness as soon as they dock.

As with LotJ, Into the Dark explores more about the way Jedi use the force, and it's a lot more complicated that the original films have us believe. This is a good thing because it opens up so many possibilities. The story aligns well with LotJ, but I dont think its imperative to read that first. It probably helps but Into the Dark holds up well on it's own.

The action takes some time to get going but by the end, its enthralling with the introduction of some tremendous new bad guys, and a neat back story into a past incident shared by Orla and Cohmac, when they were padawans. 

The real star of this though is Reath - such a good character. I shall follow his progress with great interest....

This is a very good continuation of the High Republic saga and as with Light of the Jedi, I was entertained throughout and excited about the new characters, new antagonists and new adventures.

Very good overall.

8/10

51733546.jpg

Stand-alone or do I have to have read others?

12 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Stand-alone or do I have to have read others?

It *could* work as a standalone but its definitely worth reading Light of the Jedi first:

1. It's probably better overall anyway (not much in it)

2. As it's set at the same time as Into the Dark, you get a much better sense of context 

3. LotJ introduces a lot - wouldn't dream of spoiling it but the familiarity helps when you read Into the Dark 

8127109-01.jpg

This is the first part of the Marvel Comics contribution to the High Republic stories and it's really good. It's set shortly after the events of Light of the Jedi (which I haven't read yet) but I didn't feel like I was missing anything by reading this first. The story centres around a young Jedi and her master who are sent to investigate a distress signal and get drawn into all kinds of trouble as a result. Because it's set 200 years before The Phantom Menace all the characters are brand new (apart from a fleeting cameo appearance by a certain Jedi Master) and the main ones are really well fleshed out, especially the central pair of protagonists. It's a very promising start and it's made me even keener to read Light of the Jedi and get properly immersed in this new era of Star Wars.

Is that Keeve Trennis and Avar Kriss, alongside Jedi Master Sskeer?  (Trying to learn all these new characters!)

DEFINITELY give Light of the Jedi a go - especially now you'll be familiar with some of the characters.  I think it's massively helped by not being hindered by any of the movies.  Some of the new canon stuff is reluctant to delve too deep into characters because they obviously didn't want to tread on the toes of anyone writing for the sequel trilogy.