davejm

Stellaris - "Make Space Great Again"

stellaris-banner.png

This is shaping up to be something special.  

Grand strategy masters Paradox, are finally delving into the sci-fi space with the release of Stellaris, out May 9th.  

Unlike traditional Paradox grand strategy, a game in Stellaris will feature 3 distinct phases of play; covering the early > mid/late > end game scenarios.

• Starting off with a single homeworld in one star system; a typical campaign begins like a traditional 4X game.  Explore other systems; expand your borders and colonise other worlds; gather/exploit resources; conquer other races (or not!).
  • Mid to late game; focus shifts towards traditional Paradox grand strategy as races and territory throughout the galaxy battle for supremacy.  Conquer other races, create and shatter alliances, jostle for territory.
  • Dominant race in the galaxy?  The game doesn't end there.  Experience end-game scenarios that dramatically shift the balance of power.  Fallen empires far superior to yours offering judgment on your dangerous AI research; visitors from another galaxy; space-time rifts.  Don't take your dominance for granted

FEATURES

• PAUSABLE REAL-TIME STRATEGY WITH MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT
    In Stellaris, you can conquer the galaxy on your own, or contend with upwards of 32 players
  • DYNAMIC WORLDS WITH A VAST NUMBER OF UNIQUE RANDOM SPECIES
    Design and name a custom species with the government and attributes you desire. Encounter countless different alien species, each with unique appearances, traits, and ethics
  • EXPLORE VAST GALAXIES FULL OF MYSTERY AND WONDER
    Uncover the secrets of the galaxy - every time you play! expect the unexpected as your science ships explore new anomalies with branching storylines and surprising twists
  • RESEARCH AND REVERSE-ENGINEER RARE TECHNOLOGIES
    The skills and personalities of your scientists will affect which technologies you can develop. Many technologies are unique and must be found or reverse-engineered from debris, wrecks or alien ruins...
  • DEEP DIPLOMACY AND WARFARE
    Conquer the competition, or entice the alien empires to join your glorious federation. the mid-to-late game of stellaris features the same kind of depth and dynamism seen in games like Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II
  • BE WARY OF THE COST OF PROGRESS
    The expanses of the galaxy hold many dangers, as do your own advances at home...

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

screenshot5-ad44d844e2facc5f9361e90f4890

screenshot3-f95d51a1fb530163ae99ff5b1a8d

screenshot2-64b86a7a309583e9b73fd78977f5

screenshot1-0548c1909d751324364145cabf87

screenshot4-f2d154790927ae44cdfe60c25fda

VIDEOS
Fantastic playthrough series with one of the lead developers...

• Upvote 6

Already pre-ordered (yes, I'm one of those) and raring to go.

I expect my planet of anthropomorphic rabbits to lay waste to the universe and give me total dominion over my enemies within one week of launch, or it's off to the cooking pot for them.  

8 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

What are the chances of me being able to play this with Intel graphics 530?

I'd lean towards fairly low. The minimum specs aren't hugely intimidating, but I would doubt it'll be the most optimised game.

If you buy it on Steam you'll easily be able to get a refund though, so worth a go.

• Upvote 1

Ah that's good to know. 

I I don't play much games and Crusader Kings 2 isn't that graphically demanding so hoped this might be similar. 

Space strategy will be right up my street. I just doubt I would get to play it enough to justify a graphics card. 

10 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Ah that's good to know. 

I I don't play much games and Crusader Kings 2 isn't that graphically demanding so hoped this might be similar. 

Space strategy will be right up my street. I just doubt I would get to play it enough to justify a graphics card. 

If you've played for less than 2 hours and owned it for less than 2 weeks, it's pretty much an entirely automatic process. That should be plenty of time to work out if it is playable or not.

A suitable graphics card would definitely be under £100, probably £80. Might be worth waiting for it to come out and see if it's good/what budget one it works best with, mind.

Haven't played a good 4X space game since MoO2 (GalCiv2 was a huge disappointment to me), but I'm hopeful Stellaris will be what I'm looking for. Surely if there's a developer that can deliver a great space strategy game these days it's Paradox.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dirk_beefhammer said:

Haven't played a good 4X space game since MoO2 (GalCiv2 was a huge disappointment to me), but I'm hopeful Stellaris will be what I'm looking for. Surely if there's a developer that can deliver a great space strategy game these days it's Paradox.

I've never taken the plunge on any of these games before.  There were always things that put me off.   It now feels like the perfect game is on the horizon.

I plan on choosing the largest galaxy size but with the smallest number of empires in my first game.  I want to extent the the exploration and growth phase as much as possible so I can learn the intricacies of the empire building element. 

14 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Ah that's good to know. 

It seems to be quite a lot more graphically demanding than CK2, I expect integrated graphics will really struggle.

15 minutes ago, davejm said:

Race builder... http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/

This is what I'll be starting as...

Fanatic Materialist Xenophiles ruled by a Science Directorate
Intelligent, Natural Physicists

• Scientists are eligible for Leadership
  • +20% Engineering output
  • +50% Migration time
  • +35% Physics output
  • +1 Research alternative
  • +20% Society output
  • -10% Xenophobia

From a quick poke at that, I seem to have ended up with a self-hating Materialist Collectivist, also ruled by a Science Directorate. Adaptive, Natural Physicists who are decadent and solitary:

Summary

Scientists are eligible for Leadership

+5% Engineering output

-5% Food requirement

+10% Habitability

-5% Happiness

+20% Physics output

+1 Research alternative

-10% Resource output without slaves

+50% Slavery tolerance

+5% Society output

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

Race builder... http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/

This is what I'll be starting as...

Fanatic Materialist Xenophiles ruled by a Science Directorate
Intelligent, Natural Physicists

• Scientists are eligible for Leadership
  • +20% Engineering output
  • +50% Migration time
  • +35% Physics output
  • +1 Research alternative
  • +20% Society output
  • -10% Xenophobia

I want to be the Culture Ulterior:

- Fanatic Pacifist - Peaceful Bureaucracy - Resilient - Intelligent - Decadent - Slow Breeders :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It seems to be quite a lot more graphically demanding than CK2, I expect integrated graphics will really struggle.

Noticed it has the same minimum GPU requirement as XCOM2 - hopefully much better optimized!

Oh this looks good. I've been a bit disappointed by the Master of Orion reboot, and Gal Civ III - they were just HD remakes really even though the ships looked cool.

I'm just going evil, repugnant dictatorship with legions of fast breeding cannon fodder. The Affront basically.

Collective Fanatic Militarist lead by a Military Dictatorship

Summary

•Can build an oversized ship
•Admirals/generals are eligible for rulership
•+75% Alliance cost
•+40% Army damage
•+10 Fleet size limit
•-5% Food requirement
•-10% Growth time
•+5% Minerals
•-1% Other species happiness per POP
•-10% Resource output without slaves
•+50% Rivalry influence gain
•-10% Ship upkeep
•+50% Slavery tolerance
•+10% War happiness
•+75% War tolerance

3 hours ago, dirk_beefhammer said:

Noticed it has the same minimum GPU requirement as XCOM2 - hopefully much better optimized!

Should be but Paradox stuff can be iffy on launch. They did so much better with EUIV in that respect though that they may have sorted themselves out.

4 hours ago, davejm said:
  • Dominant race in the galaxy?  The game doesn't end there.  Experience end-game scenarios that dramatically shift the balance of power.  Fallen empires far superior to yours offering judgment on your dangerous AI research; visitors from another galaxy; space-time rifts.  Don't take your dominance for granted

This bit about the dangerous AI research was detailed a bit more in a developer update on steam today about late game crises:

Some technologies are clearly marked as being “risky”, for example Robot Workers. Now, you might not always risk having your victory snatched out of your grasp, but in this case at least, you really are gambling with the fate of the galaxy. Just researching such a technology is safe; it’s the actual use of it that carries the danger. For example, the more sentient Robot Pops there are in the galaxy, the higher the risk is that they will come to deem organic life unfit to exist and rise up in a well-planned revolt. Unless crushed quickly and with overwhelming force, such a Machine Empire will quickly get out of hand and threaten all the remaining empires in the galaxy. Sentient robots will out-research and outproduce everyone. If the revolt is centered in a powerful rival empire, you’ll need to think carefully about when you want to intervene; a savvy player might time it just right and be able to mop up both the robots and the remnants of the rival empire. Leave it too long, however, and the robots will overwhelm you.

That's just one example of what can happen late game. Sounds like they've really thought about putting events in there that should make Stellars much more interesting (and challenging) throughout than your usual 4x.

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Should be but Paradox stuff can be iffy on launch. They did so much better with EUIV in that respect though that they may have sorted themselves out.

Cities Skylines was pretty much fine too. That's probably closer in scope for tech stuff.

True although that was a different developer - paradox only published that. They are generally seem a lot better at making sure their stuff works than in the past anyway.

Just now, deerokus said:

True although that was a different developer - paradox only published that. They are generally a lot better at QA than in the past anyway.

CiM2 was a bit of a mess when it came out iirc, so I'll choose to claim that Paradox deciding to get their act together was the reason Skylines was better.

I may be the only one, but my hype levels are through the roof.  Only 4 days now.

Embargo on the "Let's Play" footage is lifted now, so there's a fair amount of content on the net.

My favourite strategy game YouTuber Quill18 has uploaded the first 3 parts of his "Let's Play"...