davejm

Stellaris - "Make Space Great Again"

It's twenty past one and I have to get up at 6am... FFS... I'm the third most powerful society in the galaxy though! As a pacifist too, remarkable....

Ffffffuuuuuuu

I'm shit at this game :(  I enjoy building up my empires but I have no idea what I'm doing with the combat and up getting destroyed; turn it off in frustration and then don't bother going back to that game again.  Then re-start another game a few weeks later :D

• Upvote 1

I am like that with all the Civilisations, I think it's because they require you to plan out a path and try and stick to it - whereas I don't like to leave my empire with areas that are weak and end up being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.

My first play was disastrous, I went with militaristic bird-people, deliberately playing against type. I was energy starved a whole lot and didn't know why, didn't quite work out their Mass Relay tech, and stopped playing after accidentally deleting half my territory by removing the Frontier Outposts to save energy, thinking that the culture system had expanded my borders to the point I didn't need them.

Now I'm playing the Federation going peaceful - I was still energy starved early on, I had to build more power plants so every planet was energy positive, and stopped putting mining stations on everything - 2 minerals weren't worth the 1 energy rent, and it's not like I was short of minerals. I've seemingly fallen into a tech playthrough - I have a whole load of anomalies and stellar bodies in my space that give me science, plus science labs, and am outpacing everyone else with some cool rare techs, to the point where my small fleets are equivalent to more militaristic empires. I tried to invade a neighbour to try wars, but none of my allies agreed the war was valid. I also accidentally created another human faction - creating a colony on a poor quality world just before finding a cluster of three incredibly habitable systems in a better location to choke off a rivals expansion. Because you can't delete colonies I vassalized it and then released it, and it's now creating poor quality colonies across my North.

header.jpg?t=1516898605

They are bringing out the 'Apocalypse' DLC February 22.

Official page: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-apocalypse/STST01ESK0000013.html

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/716670/Stellaris_Apocalypse/

Story Trailer:

Description from the Steam page:

Stellaris: Apocalypse is a full expansion which redefines stellar warfare for all players with a host of new offensive and defensive options. Destroy entire worlds with terrifying new planet-killer weapons, fight against (or alongside) ruthless space pirates, and maybe discover a few non-violent game features as well.

The new Apocalypse expansion will include:

That’s No Moon, neither is That One, That One Might be a Moon, Wait, No:

Keep the local systems in line with fear of the new “Colossus” planet-killer weapon – a technological terror that eliminates entire worlds from the universe

All Your Base Are Belong to You:

New enormous “Titan” capital ships can lead your fleets to conquest, offering tremendous bonuses to the vessels under their command. Meanwhile, fortify key systems with massive orbital installations and secure your homeworld as an impenetrable bastion among the stars.

Pirates of the Constellation:

Watch out for Marauders – space nomads who raid settled empires and carve out their lives on the fringe of civilization. Hire them as mercenaries in your own conflicts, but take care that they don’t unify and trigger a new mid-game crisis!

Some Non-Violent Features:

New Ascension Perks and Civics are added in the expansion, along with new Unity Ambitions that provide new ways to spend Unity and customize your development.

Sounds of Destruction:

To accompany your planet-shattering expedition, three new musical pieces have been composed by Andreas Waldetoft for your listening pleasure.

Some cool screenshots:

ss_635a6417581ff78f413f02cd177401a75be07

ss_318693538512fecb466ef0ed77363ce75e03b

If it really does revamp the combat, then I can't wait for this.

It sounds like a pretty big revamp judging by the dev diaries. They're also ditching the multiple FTL types and having everybody start with hyperlanes for a more 'geographic' galaxy with the potential for defensive choke points. 

I regret not getting this when it was at a great price in a bundle, because EUIV is one of my favourite empire building games ever and I know Paradox do the genre so well. Even though I could do without another time sink (just started another long Hearts of Iron 3 campaign). Will keep an eye out though for a good deal and hopefully will be on board soon.

It's only really started coming into its own recently, with some cool mods now available in the workshop (Cultural Overhaul which adds extra ethic options to empire creation is a must for me. Lets you go to town on role playing that cool post-revolutionary anarcho syndicalist space commune you always dreamed about. Potent Rebellions Expanded makes unrest more of a problem and buffs rebels considerably, allowing for more emergent situations with breakaway nation states and the ability to sow dissent in rival neighbours. And there's some sweet graphics mods such as Real Space which adds lots of cool system and planet scale effects as well as brand new star types.)  

Even with the revised combat mechanics it still needs a diplomacy overhaul and more non combat mechanics. Pacifist empires are basically still unfun and boring to play as. They need to integrate espionage and economic systems and it'll go from merely a good game to an absolutely brilliant one. It's getting there though. 

Was reading the dev diaries last night.  The changes to expansion; border mechanics; exploration and combat seem excellent to me.  Will wait for the update then dive back in.

I finally had a game that moved beyond early game without a neighbour stomping huge fleets into my space (worst example, settling a Pristine world next to a Holy Protectors Fallen Empire, on Ironman).

It's actually gone pretty well, although I don't really know what I did differently - maybe focus more on fleet power early due to the presence of a Crystalline Nidus and Privateer base on my doorstep? Started as some God-Emperor slavers, thought I'd focus on religion - but instead ended up ahead on engineering, which meant ahead on weapons tech, and then I ended up with loads of energy, which I used to produce loads of minerals. And so with most things ticking over mid-game, and not a lot of local prospects for expansion, I decided to build a big fleet and take out the fungal guys next door who were clearly only holding off invading me anyway with their closed borders and insults and "issues with slavery" due to my equal power.

I invaded 2 of his worlds, but unfortunately didn't realise they had a second colony in one of them, so it became shared - learnt a lot of valuable lessons, like "take out the shields before dropping in your slave armies" and "it's better to not destroy their stations because you get those when the territory flips". Anyway, after 10 years invaded again to get the other planet and take out a nearby cluster of 3 more successfully, most factions are now Inferior or Pathetic to me, which is a first, although everyone hates me now. I think once this 10 years is up I'll go at them again because they have three more worlds on my doorstep.

A few questions:

• DLC, which ones are good? I like the look of Utopia for the Megastructures stuff, and this new one for the war stuff
  • This new patch/expansion, what will the impact be on a game in progress? Do I have to upgrade saves or are they non compatible?
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I finally had a game that moved beyond early game without a neighbour stomping huge fleets into my space (worst example, settling a Pristine world next to a Holy Protectors Fallen Empire, on Ironman).

It's actually gone pretty well, although I don't really know what I did differently - maybe focus more on fleet power early due to the presence of a Crystalline Nidus and Privateer base on my doorstep? Started as some God-Emperor slavers, thought I'd focus on religion - but instead ended up ahead on engineering, which meant ahead on weapons tech, and then I ended up with loads of energy, which I used to produce loads of minerals. And so with most things ticking over mid-game, and not a lot of local prospects for expansion, I decided to build a big fleet and take out the fungal guys next door who were clearly only holding off invading me anyway with their closed borders and insults and "issues with slavery" due to my equal power.

I invaded 2 of his worlds, but unfortunately didn't realise they had a second colony in one of them, so it became shared - learnt a lot of valuable lessons, like "take out the shields before dropping in your slave armies" and "it's better to not destroy their stations because you get those when the territory flips". Anyway, after 10 years invaded again to get the other planet and take out a nearby cluster of 3 more successfully, most factions are now Inferior or Pathetic to me, which is a first, although everyone hates me now. I think once this 10 years is up I'll go at them again because they have three more worlds on my doorstep.

A few questions:

• DLC, which ones are good? I like the look of Utopia for the Megastructures stuff, and this new one for the war stuff
  • This new patch/expansion, what will the impact be on a game in progress? Do I have to upgrade saves or are they non compatible?

When 2.0 hits I'll be starting a new game and setting the number of AIs down and their aggressiveness to the lowest so I can try to sustain a long campaign.

I've got the Utopia DLC but I can't say I know what the added features were.  I'll be skipping Apocalypse for now; as the new features that are tied to the paid for DLC seem to be late game military focused (hence the name, I guess) or edits/policies that I can't see myself playing in the short term anyway.

Most of the changes I like are tied in with the free 2.0 'Cherryh' update.  I can't see how existing games will work as there are massive changes afoot.  The biggest is to do with travel/exploration as they're doing away with warp and wormhole exploration in favour of a hyperlane only system.  It makes sense, as hyperlane games are much more strategic (you can create choke points) and it allows them to make loads of other changes that they were being hindered by the free-for-all warp travel system.  Wormholes still exist in the game; but they're now natural phenomena that you need to discover; and there are stargates also :)

Another big change is to expansion.  You don't expand by claiming planets and having your border grow in this update; instead you build starbases around stars to 'claim' them.  It's a really nice new system.  So I think with this change and the changes to make it hyperlanes only, I don't think your old save games will work. 

• Upvote 2

The 2.0 update mainly focuses on changes to FTL and expansion.  They've ditched warp and wormhole travel in favour of a change to hyper-lanes only; with the idea it'll make war and expansion more strategic.  Wormholes and stargates still exist but they're natural phenomena that you need to discover; resource and control before you use them.  But the fly-anywhere travel system is gone. 

Expansion is different in that your border doesn't just grow over time or by colonising planets; and you don't just automatically control systems within your bubble.  To expand you need to build a station around an unclaimed star (replacing frontier stations); so you directly control your border growth that way.

This is all the free stuff; in the 2.0 patch.  The Apocalypse 'paid for' expansion offers lots of late game war/combat enhancements.  I'll be skipping that for now.

I still use the warp method of FTL for my race whenever I play this, so I'm a bit miffed that that's getting axed - but all the other changes I've seen so far look interesting.

They've revamped fleet combat now too, supposedly to make it much less doomstacky and completely reworked the war system. Gonna fire it up tonight. Hoping my fave mods will have updated, but maybe being a bit too optimistic. 

Haven't played all the way through because I had to restart my first go. Playing as an Xenophile Pacifist race on a huge map with max cultures. My first go ended in disaster as I'd failed to understand how the boundary changes take place now, got about 30 years in and realised my neighbours had much bigger areas than me.... then I twigged... OHhhhhhh...

Spoiler

You've got to build bases at EVERY star you want to be part of your dominion.

Which is kinda cool, I always hated the way that Outposts would drain your influence turn on turn. Now they just cost a certain amount to build. Also means that planets are not the be all and end all of my strategy, whereas before I would always only build outposts in planetary systems where I knew I could remove them later once the planet was colonised, now I can go where I want. 

My second turn and I've lucked out, I am surrounded by relatively peaceful cultures, or at least ones that are happy to be friends... the rest of the galaxy looks pretty rough so I'm going to have to go for a federation as soon as possible. This time I used one science ship to explore, and a second to survey. This worked okay... except the explorer doesn't really gain any experience, which left them unbalanced early game. Quite like the Fleet restrictions, and the way you can setup a fleet to be x- corvettes, y-destroyers and z-cruisers, and then use the reinforce button to take you back to that level after a battle.

Upgrades are much more visible on the main screen too, with little arrows next to those things that have a new module available or upgrade planet side. 

Not as disappointed as I thought I would be about only using Hyper Lanes and there seems to be a lot of new modules and things that are all supposed to help with navigation and the like. One which means enemy ships are only able to leave via the route they came, which could be helpful on bottlenecks and for ambushes. Lots to think about. And still need to fill in the hole in the middle of my space before some nerfburger comes in and nicks a star...

5a92a4f18d817_Stellaris25_02_201811_54_50.thumb.png.b2512ed7d782242dc9480180131bc5ec.png

• Upvote 4

Everything seems to have changed. Leaders now require Energy, not unity (I always wondered what excess energy was useful for, couldn't spend it for anything, the other leaders seemed happy to be traded it though). The ship builder now has Reactors as a single required unit like hyperdrives and sensors, meaning you can't stack eight of them in the slots. My starbase is nowhere near my planet and now has separate buildings and modules, "defence platforms" (armies?) and a separate shipyard from the planet which seems to be able to build multiple units concurrently (?) And there's new techs.

I've also bought the Utopia and Leviathans DLC in the sale.

3 hours ago, davidcotton said:

I always love the sound of this type of game, but then realize I am bloody useless at them.  God only knows how I got on with Eve:online back in the day.

I'm not particularly great at them either. Best bet is give it a go, follow the tutorial ask questions here, expect to get your ass handed to you a few times by the computer players. Most of all, play how you want. If you don't want to fight, go pacifist and defend your borders, if you do go militaristic and invade everybody.

I abandoned my original 2.0 game because the Real Space mod was updated yesterday and I find it difficult to play without it. I just love the new star types and increased system scale, makes it much more atmospheric. I played about 50 years before I started a new one though, so far I like the changes, although didn't fight a proper war yet so can't comment. 

On 25/02/2018 at 11:59, Danster said:

Haven't played all the way through because I had to restart my first go. Playing as an Xenophile Pacifist race on a huge map with max cultures. My first go ended in disaster as I'd failed to understand how the boundary changes take place now, got about 30 years in and realised my neighbours had much bigger areas than me.... then I twigged... OHhhhhhh...

Reveal hidden contents

You've got to build bases at EVERY star you want to be part of your dominion.

Which is kinda cool, I always hated the way that Outposts would drain your influence turn on turn. Now they just cost a certain amount to build. Also means that planets are not the be all and end all of my strategy, whereas before I would always only build outposts in planetary systems where I knew I could remove them later once the planet was colonised, now I can go where I want. 

My second turn and I've lucked out, I am surrounded by relatively peaceful cultures, or at least ones that are happy to be friends... the rest of the galaxy looks pretty rough so I'm going to have to go for a federation as soon as possible. This time I used one science ship to explore, and a second to survey. This worked okay... except the explorer doesn't really gain any experience, which left them unbalanced early game. Quite like the Fleet restrictions, and the way you can setup a fleet to be x- corvettes, y-destroyers and z-cruisers, and then use the reinforce button to take you back to that level after a battle.

Upgrades are much more visible on the main screen too, with little arrows next to those things that have a new module available or upgrade planet side. 

Not as disappointed as I thought I would be about only using Hyper Lanes and there seems to be a lot of new modules and things that are all supposed to help with navigation and the like. One which means enemy ships are only able to leave via the route they came, which could be helpful on bottlenecks and for ambushes. Lots to think about. And still need to fill in the hole in the middle of my space before some nerfburger comes in and nicks a star...

5a92a4f18d817_Stellaris25_02_201811_54_50.thumb.png.b2512ed7d782242dc9480180131bc5ec.png

Good work.  Are you finding a lot of pirate attacks from those unclaimed systems?  Every little pocket I seem to leave unclaimed is proving to be a bit of a nuisance which I assume is the dev's way of ensuring that you colonise surrounding space and not just expand quickly in different directions.

I'm loving the changes so far.  I'll post up some info on my current game later :)

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Good work.  Are you finding a lot of pirate attacks from those unclaimed systems?  Every little pocket I seem to leave unclaimed is proving to be a bit of a nuisance which I assume is the dev's way of ensuring that you colonise surrounding space and not just expand quickly in different directions.

I'm loving the changes so far.  I'll post up some info on my current game later :)

Yeah, they do, bit they're little more than flies to be swatted away now :). Give em to my noob admirals to sort out.

Quite liking the new combat, reduced size of fleets and fleet management add extra complexity but also means I do have three fleets now, and three admirals too.

One thing that bugs me about this particular go is that nobody will join my federation apart from the other pacifist. As it happens me and them are the top two normal cultures in tech and fleet, so that also means very few are prepared to attack me, which means I'm reliant on my partner choosing to attack someone or switching to unlimited wars for ten years... Which kinda goes against the pacifist ethos somewhat.

But then I kinda knew it was going to be this way as a pacifist. Still waiting for one of the three slumbering giants to wake up though...

Oh also built my first Titan, nice :)