Stellaris - "Make Space Great Again" (NOW ON PS4 & XBOX)

Ok, understandable. Well, you got many hours of fun and wacky gameplay ahead of you when you finally decide to give it a go. Stellaris is more story driven than other Paradox titles, so even though its a giant open sandbox it also has a lot of story elements to it. It can be both funny and exiting, and as all Paradox games its really really rewarding. 

I wish more people were aware of the game because it really offers something special :)

42 minutes ago, Jashin said:

I’ve started playing the Xbox version but I’m in a weird (I presume) middle bit of the game whereby I’m struggling to do much of anything because of resource constraints. I’ve enjoyed it up until now though.

What civics/ethics do you have? 
How many planets and what do you build on them?

Feel free to post screenshots!

First time playing, so I've been following the tutorial. My navy doesn't seem very strong as I've not really concentrated on it. I eventually got my head around all resources with the exception of influence, which I'm struggling with. The most I seem to be able to acquire is +1 and that was only achieved by decommissioning lots of frontier outposts thus shrinking my borders. It's a conundrum I've not been able to solve so everything feels quite stagnant at the moment.

I’ve built what I can but it hasn’t really helped. I think that the 2.0 update is upcoming for consoles which will force me to start again anyway. The tutorial wants me to research various alien species but I can’t do a couple because the planets are under other civ’s control.

1 hour ago, Jashin said:

First time playing, so I've been following the tutorial. My navy doesn't seem very strong as I've not really concentrated on it. I eventually got my head around all resources with the exception of influence, which I'm struggling with. The most I seem to be able to acquire is +1 and that was only achieved by decommissioning lots of frontier outposts thus shrinking my borders. It's a conundrum I've not been able to solve so everything feels quite stagnant at the moment.

Ok. Just some quick pointers:

• Even if you unlock another building slot on a planet, dont build anything if you dont have the workers for it. Buildings without workers will still cost you maintenance and since they wont produce anything (due to lack of workers) they will be a net loss. 
  • Minerals are the real money, as minerals are turned into alloys. If you got a nice flow of alloys you can easily live with a deficit of energy.
  • Look at your faction screen, what makes them happy? For example, xenophobic-militaristic factions will like you if you rival others and wage war, and thus you get an increase of influence. Opening borders, forming non-aggression pacts/alliances etc and you will get a negative modifier. 
  • Claim valuable systems and ignore the ones with little resources to begin with, you can paint the map later when you are richer.
  • Take advantage of chokepoints. Build defensive starbases with lots of weapons and park your fleet there if you are attacked. Only build starbases in strategic positions. 
  • Do you want to play tall, or wide? Playing tall means focusing on rushing technology so your fleets will be superior but fewer in numbers. Watch your empire sprawl, as you will take penalties to research if you overreach. 
  • Look at systems with pulsars, pulsars cancels out shields so if you got a chokepoint that has a pulsar in it, you can design ships with armor only and no shields. Enemy fleets that focus on shield technology will melt away since their shields are already gone!
  • Pay attention to ship designs, often the default design are not the most optimal. What you want (what I prefer) is long range, hard hitting guns. 
  • Projectile weapons are the better option in my experience, as missiles can be countered by anti missile weapons. 

edit: you might also want to play around with the galaxy settings. I prefer huge galaxies since it will give you plenty of space to play around with. I also like to set hyperlane density to low. 

edit again: some pointers on diplomacy....

• Pay attention to your neighbors and use diplomacy as a weapon. If you have a neighbor thats a rival and you also have a much smaller weaker neighbor, it might be an idea to guarantee the independence of the smaller species so that your neighbor cant annex it and take its resources. If your rival is fighting in a war, pay attention and if your rival is on the loosing side, declare war and attack when hes at his weakest. Diplomacy is very much like game of thrones. 

edit again: on technology......

• Be picky about what you research. If you just researched a better laser, you dont have to research missiles. Invest in something more useful to begin with. You can always research those missiles later on. Try to streamline your research with clear goals in mind. 
Edited by Stevie
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Does anyone here play this?

theres a free weekend this weekend and with having a bit of time on my hands I’m tempted to get into something new,

any tips?

Don't neglect your navy. But to start with you might find more success letting them be automanaged.

I must play again, really enjoyed the hours already put into it. I do find, like many of these games, I do end up enjoying it more when I play as a decent society. Have tried being the Borg, and other hive mind, but prefer being the Culture. Large and open and with firepower to see off any pesky warmongers!

• 8 months later...

Set end game crisis to 10x difficulty and look what spawned in my system. They got multiple fleets with a combined power of 10+ million. 

stellaris.thumb.jpg.cefeac1413dee9f91918f3ac0eb99b2d.jpg

Time to break out the cheese.

The dev team are trailing the espionage update via weekly dev diaries at the moment. It sounds pretty cool. Seems as though it's coming alongside an overhaul of the first contact mechanics. Which sounds neat, but I was really hoping for it to come in with an internal politics rejig. Subterfuge and civil wars/rebellions go hand in hand. 

As long as it doesn't mean more micromanagement then I'm all aboard. I do hope it makes it possible to fracture large federations. 

I just had a pyrrhic victory. As the machines were destroying my homeworld, I managed to make one last desperate push against one of their machine worlds

vic1.thumb.jpg.ae5bc87c8744e1bd78134a337a54f2b8.jpg

vic2.thumb.jpg.42392b0bc2ef9a38db0935bbecd6e372.jpg

vic3.thumb.jpg.5f0add9c566816f79c74ddd96858f5b9.jpg

vic4.thumb.jpg.c55b0bd6bb14b1020fbc11605a009acf.jpg

Take that foul machine creatures! 

I played tall and it seems that playing wide is always the better option. The rest of the galaxy were to weak to do anything about the contingency and I was unable to defeat them on my own :( I do love necrophage, it was just what the game needed. 

I've not played the game but have to say I adore the soundtrack on spotify especially the tracks Alpha Centauri & Faster than Light.

So...decided to have a look at the steam workshop. Installed a mod that introduced giga structures and a whole lot of fun. 

attackmoon.thumb.jpg.b0c57d54fb00f2826a9d6670a7bbd8a7.jpg

Thats no moon...it's a space station. Actually, its an attack moon. A moon turned into a ship with huge weapons. 

supermassive.thumb.jpg.b82bfd011dff8961c3163cc288be3e30.jpg

Super massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy. 

gigaring.thumb.jpg.eb0f9f389c212e6ab5c02680e6a33d89.jpg

Normal ringworlds are for amateurs. 

processingring.thumb.jpg.88594f97051ef5acbb552ab6962621af.jpg

Need more resources? We got you covered. 

Paradox are one of the best developers for supporting and encouraging mods which can massively change the gameplay. I love the Europa Universalis series for this, so many mods which give a radically different experience. I do own Stellaris, I've just never had the time to sit down and learn it, which is surprising as the idea of some galactic war is right up my street.

There's some very cool mods in the workshop. I'm a big fan of Real Space and its associated System Scale sub mod, adds lots of realistic new star types, nebulae & such and gives systems a much more spaced out scale, with different sized solar bodies. It's very pretty. 

Amazing Space Battles is another good one, spaces out battles and adds a HUGE amount of effects for every single weapon and some excellent explosion effects. 

Planetary Diversity and its submods diversify the different categories of planet and adds absolutely loooooads of unique planet types.

Then there's things like the More Events mod (does what it says on the tin), Dynamic Political Events (adds a bunch of cool political events and potential faction uprisings) and Potent Rebellions (makes rebellions more likely to happen and stronger, as well as allowing you to sow unrest in neighbouring empires via edict). DPE and PR are made by the same modder so work well together. 

14 hours ago, SM47 said:

There's some very cool mods in the workshop. I'm a big fan of Real Space and its associated System Scale sub mod, adds lots of realistic new star types, nebulae & such and gives systems a much more spaced out scale, with different sized solar bodies. It's very pretty. 

I got to check that out :o

edit: @SM47do you know any scaling mods that are updated? 

The Real Space system scale mod is kept up to date, I've never used it without regular Real Space though. It also comes with two submods called 'Ships in Scaling Lite' and 'Ships in Scaling Hard'. They basically affect the behaviour and speed of ships due to the increased scale. Lite preserves the original speed of the ships from vanilla whereas Hard adds different sublight speeds dependent on technology. I've only ever used Lite because Hard reduces the speed of the early game as your ships are 6x slower. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1887282318

Edit: it's worth mentioning you'll need a compatibility patch if you use Gigastructures with Real Space. There's one listed in the description. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked it up yesterday. Played about 30 years as my go to space communist civ. I quite like the changes to first contact and not being able to see the full extent of a neighbouring empire yet. I understand there's a big community hoo hah surrounding the reconfigurations to pop growth and people are annoyed. 

I was also hoping you'd be able to instigate more shenanigans within foreign empires a la sponsoring coups and fomenting civil war, seems like they've played it a bit safe in that regard. With any luck that will come as part of an internal politics overhaul 

P.S. check out this cool mod that adds emergent colonial empires that can diverge from already existing empires. It's not updated to 3.0 yet but will be next few days. Definitely adds a lot of flavour to proceedings. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2389164674