IGNORED

Stellaris - "Make Space Great Again" (NOW ON PS4 & XBOX)

davejm

Mmmm, some conflicting information regarding the exact time of unlock.  They don't have a deal in place to release at a specific time, so it's whenever Valve flick the switch on their daily updates.  It's around that sorta time I think.

They're streaming from noon CEST; through until unlock time so I'll have that on in the background while I'm working.

I ordered two copies at cdkeys, Galaxy Edition for me and standard edition for a friend.  Mine has come through (downloading now) via email; but standard edition hasn't and website is down.

EDIT:- Got both now.

Oh man, just moments in and I'm in my element... the Empire builder... the galaxy creation options... the music...

So I've created a scientific focused Empire and this is what the game has named my first science ship...

UES_Sagan.PNG

:wub:

Interestingly enough I have noticed that despite glowing reviews generally, a lot of the more established strategy game reviewers who I pay attention to are a little more lukewarm about this. Rowan Kaiser most notably (both in his ign review and on the 3MA podcast).

Sounds as though while it doesn't have the boring endgame problem of most 4X games, it loses a lot of steam in the mid game?

For my part I am waiting for a couple of expansions to be out, they usually perfect the game two expansions in.

Just surfaced after a solid two hours staring at the screen. I have three colony worlds, my brave fleet is growing and murdering random non-affiliated bastards getting in my way and I'm starting to figure out how it all works. Now to start a fresh game :)

I've been taking this at a slow pace.  I started with a 1000 star galaxy, but with only 10 other AI empires and no advanced AI starts.  I want to get to grips with the economy building to start with; so I've sparsely populated my first galaxy.  I'll see how I get on, but I've spent a lot of time pausing so far and thinking through my strategy.  No colony worlds as yet, but I'm gearing up to populating my first one in my next session.  Have built a frontier outpost though.

That sounds like a great way to get started!  I'm feeling really hassled by the other races in my game and I currently have a science ship stuck behind enemy lines with no way to get home :(

Might well restart using davejm's settings later.

I suspect the game will lose a lot without border friction, so having a huge, near-empty Galaxy might make for a bit of a dull experience.

It's definitely one of the slower paced games of this type I've played, but there's always something to be doing at this stage, as I'm only 4 hours in with a couple of colonies which are more there to stake my claim to surrounding systems.

I can totally see where criticisms of the mid-game pace might come from, looking ahead, but I think much of it is going to hinge on how interesting border conflict is.

Massively enjoying it so far though. So much potential.

As expected this is pushing all my buttons, ended up playing till 1.30am. Best strategy game I've played since Endless Legend. My space militarist empire is currently mid league in terms of population, but has decent tech and a largish navy. Soon to be bolstered by Cruisers. Haven't had a big interstellar war yet, will have a go tonight.

How common are minor races? I've gobbled up two already, and am having trouble with one so have had to enslave a couple and will be shipping in settlers from the homeworld. I have two more minor races to galactic south, and tempted just to invade them as well. One is in the early space age so may make them vassals.

My quick look turned into 4 hours yesterday. I gnawsed it up by rushing into a war with some bird people so I think I may start again (I am not massively familiar with playing this genre so was treating it as a bit of a tutorial playthrough)

It is incredibly engrossing, the music is absolutely spot on.