World War Bee...The EVE universe goes to war.

pulsemyne

The SomethingAwful thread on this is fucking unreadable, endless shitposting and attacking people, and occasionally someone asks a question and the facade slips and it's revealed they can't evacuate their stuff or have lost their staging system. Reddit has been far better by comparison, there's actual Dot.Lan links and screenshots and stuff.

Also no one likes their current CEO because he tried to live off the game, and this meant accepting some sponsorship deal to shill for H1Z1, and then tried to create some quarter-million book Kickstarter about a war that would just big-up his alliance and all the backer rewards were like "buy a yacht party for other people".

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The SomethingAwful thread on this is fucking unreadable, endless shitposting and attacking people, and occasionally someone asks a question and the facade slips and it's revealed they can't evacuate their stuff or have lost their staging system. Reddit has been far better by comparison.

Also no one likes their current CEO because he tried to live off the game, and this meant accepting some sponsorship deal to shill for H1Z1, and then tried to create some quarter-million book Kickstarter about a war that would just big-up his alliance and all the backer rewards were like "buy a yacht party for other people".

Reddit is "the others" main source of info/propaganda. TEST are from reddit. Anything they say on there should be taken with mountains of salt. On the other hand they have had reason to be pleased with themselves. Also shit posting and something awful go together hand in hand.

Bah, this is the kind of thing that drags me back. I could even sit on the laptop whilst watching telly and feigning interest in whatever the missus is talking about.

I spent a bloody long time on EVE, still got some friends I chat to from it occasionally. My problem is I dont have any time at all to play games let alone a time sink like this beast.

pulsemyne, how many hours do you need to put in to be a minion in one of these corps? I have two accounts I haven't used for a good few years now. Probably been left behind with new skills and ships.

Great read, I always feel the pull of eve and stuff like this doesn't help. But in the end it's just too time consuming! 

There is simply nothing else like it, imo it's the best game ever made. 

(I played it for ten years)

19 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Bah, this is the kind of thing that drags me back. I could even sit on the laptop whilst watching telly and feigning interest in whatever the missus is talking about.

I spent a bloody long time on EVE, still got some friends I chat to from it occasionally. My problem is I dont have any time at all to play games let alone a time sink like this beast.

pulsemyne, how many hours do you need to put in to be a minion in one of these corps? I have two accounts I haven't used for a good few years now. Probably been left behind with new skills and ships.

I don't spend ages in the game. Some days I don't log in as there's nothing going on. Lately things have been interesting though so my participation has increased. 

It also depends on the corporation you are a member off. Some demand you attend X amount of fleets a week etc. Some are way more flexible and some couldn't give a shit. My lot (TGRADS The Graduates) are pretty good and only kick players who have been inactive for quite a while. I've been with them for about 8 years now and have had periods where I haven't logged in for some time.

I will be writing more about the war etc soon. Also maybe a bit on my one handed attempt to hold onto an entire region for my alliance.

Eve online is fascinating, but for me a lot of it seems more like work than fun. I just wanna fly around shooting things, hell I could be just a small pilot as part of a mercenary/corporation, but even that seems to involve a fuck-ton of virtual paperwork/number crunching. Still you don't get stories like this from any other game so very glad some people can get through it.

The Eve steep learning curve is part of what makes it so great. The longevity and possibilities come from the depth and freedom. You can do stuff like Fleet Warfare which is essentially just undock and PvP or PVE stuff and not need to get quite as deep into it but you still have to get over the initial impenetrability of it.

The greatest thing about it for me was the ability to genuinely plan and execute strategies. No other game allows the endless deviousness that Eve does. Pvp in MMO's is just a pale shadow of combat in Eve. Being part of a good small gang lead by an ace fleet commander is one of the highlights of my gaming career. The big battles while incredibly impressive feats of logistsics where also a bit too long winded, especially with the lag, but fast roaming, stealth bomber raiding, Black Ops bridging, and policing space were incredibly fun.

Ships have a "signature" stat tied to their size and stealthiness, which governs how easy they are to hit and stuff like missiles to track them.

It's mostly a balancing mechanism to make massive ships huge targets and incentivise them to target similarly big ships so they don't just crush everything smaller than them and stomp all over newer players because they're heavier and hit harder anyway.

It wasn't always that way of course. In the glory days of Titans having an Area of Effect doomsday they could clobber entire sub capital class ships.

Anyway time for Part 7. Not so much of the big things. This is my work during the war.

PART 7. Holding on to what you got.

As I said before holding sovereignty over a system used to be easy to establish and very hard to take away. You would need a large fleet, target Territorial Conquest Units and many other things and then spend hour after hour clobbering the piss out of them. Then you would have to come back a few days later and do it all again. Then you would have to plant your own TCU, wait for bloody ages for it to online and, hopefully, it would all be yours.

Now sov can change hands with just one person doing one thing for about ten to fifteen minutes. It's called Entosising. 

Say I want to try and conquer an enemy station well all I have to do is wait for it be vulnerable (that happens on all stations, TCU's, Ihub) at certain times of the day and it lasts quite a number of hours as well. So you can go roaming around enemy space and notice that something is vulnerable. Now all you need to try and capture it is have something called an Entosis link on you ship. These typically cost about 20 million isk, less than the price of a tech 1 cruiser, and can be fitted to pretty much any ship. Even cheapo frigates. Providing you have the link and a vulnerable item, as well as a little bit of fuel for the link, there is nothing to stop you trying to take something over. You target the time, click on your link and wait five minutes for it too warm up. After this you take ten minutes to entose the item and hey presto stage one of it being yours is done. Come back a day or two later and do the same again and the final stage of things being yours can start.

It sounds quite simple, and generally it is. There are a few little annoyances when you are at the final stage of taking something over. The game decides to turn into a cosmic version of whack-a-mole.

CCP, in their infinite wisdom, thought that it would be fun to make you go through about half a dozen systems looking for and entosising things that randomly spawn in the systems.

The easy way to think of this is to use our own forum as an analogy.

Rllmuk had become a conquerable space station. Now a rival forum comes along and decides it wants to take over Rllmuk. One person from that forum comes along and Entosises Rllmuk. Rllmuk enters reinforced mode for a couple of days before exiting reinforcement. After this random threads from areas like off topic and online begin appearing in random part of Rllmuk. The defenders job is to go along and clean up all this mess by entosising the threads. The attackers job is to entose those threads and make them his own. If he wins all the topics then he takes over Rllmuk.

Actually that wasn't particularly easy but yeah...cosmic whack-a-mole. It's also quite boring if your the person doing it. Spinning in orbit around and object and watching a timer tick down is not fun. It's even worse to know that while your doing this is is very very easy to be killed by someone. You cannot warp away. You cannot escape. You are a sitting duck. You can however defend yourself. It forces you to fight.