IGNORED

Marvel's The Defenders (Netflix)

Illyria

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'd be surprised if knowledge of Luke Cage's solo outing is particularly necessary to understand the Defenders.

Iron Fist is more likely to be necessary, as that expands on the Hand storyline from Daredevil S2 a little. I can't see either being particular dealbreakers in getting it though, mostly because Iron Fist ended up being a bit of a mess in that respect and it appears most of the legwork was done in Daredevil from the trailers IMO.

Saying that I would say watch Iron Fist if you can. It's not as bad as everyone makes out and with sights adjusted it's enjoyable enough. Nowhere near as good as it needed to be or should have been, mind.

Luke Cage, on the other hand, is boring as fuck. Don't bother. You get everything you need about Cage from Jessica Jones.

I'm a huge comic fan so have knowledge of the characters, however, wasn't sure they introduced any new elements I should know.

Also is this simply netflix's interpretation of Daredevil's Shadowland storyline?

I guess the showrunner is trying to maintain the feel of each individual character's show. 

Daredevil: dark, low lit, moody

Jones: dirty, broken, blue

Cage: warm, musicality

Iron Fist: bland

An interesting idea, I wonder if it'll work out. 

5 hours ago, Tetchy said:

Started watching it and I'm already getting annoyed at the different light filters for each character.

I actually like when they switch to each character it adopts the light filter scheme they use on each show (purple for Jessica, yellow for Cage etc).

Just finished episode 3:

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that fight sequence! The show really does come alive whenever Jessica Jones is on screen. Maximum snark.

52 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

None of it is impossible to pick up, but it leans most heavily on DD S2 and Iron Fist. You could get away without DD S1, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage without issue.

Except by missing the first two of those, you've missed the best of the four, and almost certainly the best of the five.

cage, fist, dd s2.. second tier.

Just finished episode 5, which starts out really great.

I love actually seeing them all together. Jessica Jones is the best character in it and I like Luke Cage being baffled by all the craziness.

Though there is something just missing from the show that I cant figure out.  I only recently got done watching the painfully dull Iron Fist so maybe that's sort of diminished this show.  

I'm a huge comic fan so have knowledge of the characters, however, wasn't sure they introduced any new elements I should know.

Also is this simply netflix's interpretation of Daredevil's Shadowland storyline?

Personally If I had the option after seeing it all. I would watch just the first and last episode. It was a show about padding.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sure, but that wasn't the question.

Quite,  but there's zero reason to bother wasting your time watching this when the far superior Jessica Jones could be watched instead.

four episodes in, and it's clearly better than the second half of Luke Cage or any of iron fist, but The Hand are nowhere near as interesting a villain as Kilgrave: either as a threat, as a metaphor, or as a consequence.

Episode 3, when they all finally come together, is simply superb. Why the hell did this not exist 30 years ago? I swear, the internet has turned everyone into miserable bastards, when this kind of thing is so easy to get swept along with yet all you read is people trying their damnedest to find fault and not enjoy it.

In terms of the whole continuity with the other shows, series 2 of Daredevil and Iron Fist are essential, this is basically season 3 of the Marvelverse TV show. Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage should probably be watched for completion, but you can read the Wikipedia pages to get what you need to from them.

I finished watching and overall it was a bit meh, Danny Rand and Colleen wing pretty much ruined it 

Spoiler

I did like how everyone in the show started calling Danny stupid too and it was good that they separated him so they could actually have some on screen chemistry with the remaining defenders without that void hamming everything up. 

I kept just wishing that the punisher would have made a surprise appearance and "accidentally" killed Danny or something. 

Episode 3, when they all finally come together, is simply superb. Why the hell did this not exist 30 years ago? I swear, the internet has turned everyone into miserable bastards, when this kind of thing is so easy to get swept along with yet all you read is people trying their damnedest to find fault and not enjoy it.

In terms of the whole continuity with the other shows, series 2 of Daredevil and Iron Fist are essential, this is basically season 3 of the Marvelverse TV show. Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage should probably be watched for completion, but you can read the Wikipedia pages to get what you need to from them.

Nah, Just spoiled by good quality tv mate.

Just now, Zero9X said:

I think It's down to the dialogue. Dialogue is so poor I laughed when I heard this line.

"I'm all out of calm"

Spoiler

She doesn't help herself though. When she was waking Electra up and trying to talk about the darkness it sounded like she was just reading off a card.

Binged all 8 and it was pretty good but, as has already been said, nowhere near as good as DD1 or JJ. 

Spoiler

While the ending was a complete cop out, hopefully DD3 will bring in Bullseye for the death of Karen Page angle. I actually enjoyed IF and LC working together as it gave two bland characters some purpose so hopefully we'll get them teaming up and Misty (with bionic arm) & Colleen's investigation agency getting going. 

The Punisher teaser trailer at the very end was disappointing as I hoped he'd make an appearance at the building with rocket launchers & C4. Oh well!

37 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Better than Ironfist. He does seem to have improved.

Slightly yes. But that might also be down to having more competent people behind the camera who can hide his awfulness.

Onto episode 7 now.

Danny Rand has turned into a whiny brat. Ugh. That scene where Daredevil batters him. He deserved it.

Finished it. Peaked in the middle I thought and went a bit poop towards the end.

Aside from the corridor/office fight in Episode 3 and the Daredevil vs Iron Fist scrap a lot of the later fight scenes were rather poorly shot I thought. In darkness and a million edits, none more so than in the car park brawl which should've been awesome but was impossible to tell what was happening most of the time. Still, I thought it was a decent series overall, just not the high point that Daredevil was.

And as Monkeyboy says, Sigourney Weaver looks like she was being held against her will. Shame as the Netflix stuff (Iron Fist aside) are known for their strong villain characters.