rllmuk
Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

off to see HiM tonight, haven't seen them in years, but, its their farewell tour, so thought it had to be done!

• Upvote 1

Just got out of Brixton Academy after seeing Shed Seven - they’ve still got it ! Last time I saw them was in ‘96 !

Im at Five finger death punch in Glasgow right now and the couple beside me have been arguing all night :lol:

Better half just got tickets for U2 in Manchester.  First gig at the Arena for them since 2001,  I think.

The complexity of the various packages shows just how bands are maximising making money from live events rather than selling records these days.  Not quite as bad as £3,000 for meeting Metallica but plenty of confusing silver/gold/platinum/VIP/RED zone options.

Off to see Hollywood Undead tonight, and yeah, i know some of you may think that belongs in the worst crimes in music thread, but i like em so :P

Managed to get O2 tickets for the Def Leppard gig in December, haven’t seen them live since the Adrenalize tour :blah:

• Upvote 2

and for just £100 more you could go to download!!...or ...an absolute shitload more that that if you do what me and my GF did this year...:unsure: ...lets just say "treat yoself" came into play lol

I saw the Damned last night - very entertaining, fantastic sound and Captain Sensible is a surprisingly good guitarist.

On 2/5/2018 at 17:45, Darren said:

I saw the Damned last night - very entertaining, fantastic sound and Captain Sensible is a surprisingly good guitarist.

Who's in the lineup, these days?

Edit: Cap and Dave Vanian are the mainstays, it seems.

Taking my son to his first gig in August... Victrious festival announced the Prodigy as the Sunday headliners and at £35 a ticket for me and £8 for him, it seemed rude not to as its local!

Should be an eye opener for him!

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2018 at 17:15, Nathan Wind said:

Space are excellent live!  They frequently play the Isle of Man for some reason and I'm hoping to catch them again in April.

Saw them n their tour in 98 I think, were really good live and they had a proper rave session about halfway through the gig...

I hardly ever go to gigs and concerts anymore, but I have booked to see Barenaked Ladies at the Roundhouse in April. My wife is also a fan so it'll be our first concert we've been to together.

Bowling for soup. Bowling for soup. Bowling for soup...whom i will see tomorow! :D

• Upvote 1

Aw man, that sucks. I'm just about to head up to Manchester, looking forward to it, not seen army of freshman, supporting, in a few years!

On 1/31/2018 at 20:57, Ivanho said:

Managed to get O2 tickets for the Def Leppard gig in December, haven’t seen them live since the Adrenalize tour :blah:

2018 is the year for reliving my musical youth...

I got tickets for Glasgow.  Never seen them live, but got into them at the time of Adrenalize (and got Hysteria at the same time).

They were probably the first band I really loved, so properly looking forward to it!

25 years and I can't wait until December!  

This morning, tickets bought to see Garbage in Edinburgh and then the next night in Glasgow on their Version 2.0 anniversary tour.

The Garbage / 20 Years Queer gig was amazing, and I'm really looking forward to this in September.

• Upvote 1

2018 started with Geoff Tate and his 30th anniversary Operation Mindcrime tour. He was out of this world. Then it was King King and in March I have Temperance Movement, Dan Patlansky and Skid Row with Toseland and Bad Touch. Busy times.

Saw Boris supporting a Belgian metal band called Amenra last weekend. Boris covered several genres within their set, as expected. I struggled to get in to it more than I thought I might as I was always more of a fan of their more structured punky stuff and they only played two tracks of that. Far too much of it was just far too slow, even for doom metal, they did a new romantic interlude for a bit too. That said, the opening act was a cellist with a sequencer and she was bloody superb. Her name was Jo Quail, the only thing I can find on YouTube close to what she was playing is:

She was able to change her set to account for the fact she was supporting metal bands though and produced some absolutely brilliant stuff.

Up next for me is HandMade Festival in Leicester, which I'm incredibly excited about.

Nabbed tickets to see Roy Ayers at the Jazz Cafe in July. To say I am excited is an understatement. One of my all time musical heroes and he's going to be stood 10 feet in front of me :)

Gary Numan was phenomenal last night.  Lots of new material with a few classics thrown in, but they were played with his modern sound.  Down in the Park in his latest heavy industrial incarnation was just incredible.  Loved watching him writhe around the stage like a vaguely gothic Michael Mcintyre for an hour and a half.  Highly recommended if you're a fan, or even if you just like metally rocky euphoric-keyboardy industrial music. 

At times it was even a bit doomy.  There were points where if you switched in the relevant vocalists you could have been listening to Paradise Lost, NIN or even Disturbed.  Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

Went to the Def Leppard Hysteria gig at the O2 last night. Sound was a bit bass heavy, and Joe can’t quite hit the high notes anymore, but it was a pretty good night and hearing that album in full from start to finish was pretty special.

On 07/12/2018 at 20:21, Ivanho said:

Went to the Def Leppard Hysteria gig at the O2 last night. Sound was a bit bass heavy, and Joe can’t quite hit the high notes anymore, but it was a pretty good night and hearing that album in full from start to finish was pretty special.

I was at the Glasgow show a week or so later, and loved every second of it.

I'd never seen them live before, and was a little concerned they'd be past it, but I was very, very surprised at how well it all came off.

Standing 2nd row, listening to Gods of War, Don't Shoot Shotgun, Run Riot performed right in front me is now one of my favourite memories!

• Upvote 1

I was at Beat the Streets festival in Nottingham yesterday, and the highlight of the whole day was a band called Evil Scarecrow. I didn't know anything about them going in, and I'm so glad I didn't, because their show was so full of surprises and was utterly entertaining from beginning to end.

I don't want to say what was so good about it, but if you ever get a chance to see them, go!

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I was at Beat the Streets festival in Nottingham yesterday, and the highlight of the whole day was a band called Evil Scarecrow. I didn't know anything about them going in, and I'm so glad I didn't, because their show was so full of surprises and was utterly entertaining from beginning to end.

I don't want to say what was so good about it, but if you ever get a chance to see them, go!

Wow, that’s.... different

Good though. 

18 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Massive Attack's Mezzanine XX1 tour tomorrow at the MEN. Fucking hyped.

Saw this in Glasgow last night and it was awesome! The visuals fit perfectly.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, palaver said:

Saw this in Glasgow last night and it was awesome! The visuals fit perfectly.

Yeah really really enjoyed it. The visuals were clearly Adam Curtis all over, and the place erupted when they played Angel and Teardrop back to back.

Inertia Creeps was so well done.

One downside though was it seemed clear they weren't that arsed. Turned up late, left early, lights straight on after.

• Upvote 1