Concerts - general discussion and experiences

Illyria

Harry Styles tonight. I was up in the gods but had an absolute riot. He puts on such a great show and has a genuine raport with his fans. One of the loudest concerts I've ever been at. Played everything I wanted to hear and seemed to be in great form.

571135187_Screenshot2022-06-22at23_37_06.jpg.db8baac66cc198650eca6940276741ad.jpg2.jpg.bf8947da8bef629c0913e4ce63c6e787.jpg1607780371_Screenshot2022-06-22at23_37_43.jpg.df10e50a90ca6ae240c68779a3192c36.jpg

Rammstein in Coventry.  Crowd absolutely bang into it from the first moment.  Till being the absolute showman he never thought he would be.  Largely the same as four (!) years ago in MK, though with new material.  Maybe it is my memory playing tricks on me but even though there was a lot of the same, MK felt like a two hour assault on all the senses (in a good way), whereas this was more... playful.  Fun.  Perhaps this is because I knew what was coming this time, although they went even further with burning Flake during "Mein Teil"!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 16:52, Illyria said:

IMG_20220622_164849_610.thumb.jpg.00bc3346a53a57fddf74d093f598c31a.jpg

Rammstein on Sunday, finally. We stood quite far back, so I didn't get to see that much of the guys on stage (except when they performed Engel on the side stage). But it was worth it man. Sonne blew me away. I would have preferred more older songs over some of the stuff from the last couple of albums, but still enjoyed every second and would have loved to stay for a show twice as long 🥲

Kind of crazy. As much as I cherished being able to attend a Rammstein gig finally, the more time passed since, the more disappointed I am. I wish I'd not stood back so far. It's more comfortable, you've got room to breathe, but you're so far away you might as well listen to them in your home, or watch Rammstein in Paris on your TV. By contrast, I just saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the stadium in Cologne and while I didn've have a ticket to the front of stage area and the one behind that, I at least had a good spot in the second row of the back area, which meant I got to see a lot more of the band itself throughout the entire show. Plus, they had two very large screens on the side of the stage which really helped. Rammstein only had screens to the sides (away from the fire), no front-facing screen, which meant that I felt very disconnected from what was going on on stage, sadly. I still loved being there and enjoyed the pyrotechnics, but yeah. It all felt so much more impersonal.

By contrast, the RHCP gig was soooo much better than I'd expected (I never would've believed you if you told me that out of the two, I'd enjoy RHCP more). They clearly had a TON of fun, the fact that there is no rigid setlist meant that the evening was full of surprises, and having John Frusciante back on stage just made me all kinds of emotional! The crowd was amazing too (apart from all the smoking of cigs and weed, which is not my jam, but y'know, was to be expected). All in all, a pretty damn magical evening! 

I saw the Chili Peppers in Manchester and would echo that, the band were fantastic. Even Anthony's vocals were solid, better than he's ever sounded live. 

Great set list, I Could Have Lied and Soul to Squeeze being highlights for me. 

Thoroughly enjoyed Thundercat supporting too. Less so ASAP Rocky who was late and ended up playing after the Peppers, which gave us the surreal spectacle of a support act playing after the headliner. 

On 15/06/2022 at 08:38, dino_jr said:

Interpol at the Roundhouse last night.

Or not, they cancelled at an hours notice just as I got off the train in Camden. Someone in the band got sick I guess <_<

Spoke to some others by the station, one guy had flown over from Chicago! He looked unamused.

Aaaaaannd now there's no trains running tomorrow in the heat, to get me to the rescheduled gig.

Doomed from the start  :sherlock:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone following the 'dynamic pricing' controversy around Springsteen's new tour? Cheapest tickets at his Edinburgh show are 500 quid FFS!

I really hope this doesn't catch on. Springsteen is a sellout bastard.

I get the idea of dynamic pricing by TM... They set the prices initially high as tickets go on sale, so Scalpers don't bother hoovering them all up. But that high initial price is a piss take of course.

So old way: TM price ticket at £50. Stubhub bots buy everything and relist at £500 each

New way: TM price ticket at £500. Stubhub don't buy them all.

Either way the punter is paying £500. Unfortunately supply and demand wins... These gigs always sell out anyway so what incentive is there to reduce prices?

• 2 months later...

I was honestly a bit unsure about going - had to go solo which I don't much enjoy for one, but also I saw them a bunch of times years ago. I'm always afraid of disappointment if they don't match up to the memories. Turns out they're still really really good!

Tonight I went to see one of my favourites bands ever, Alexisonfire and it was incredible.

For me personally, it was genuinely a night I didn't think I'd ever see because they split up a few years after I got into them and I only ever got to see them do a short set at Leeds festival. They broke up in 2011 after some fallings out and finally got back together in 2019 with a few random singles. Then they released a new album this year.

I had tickets to see them in London in 2019 at a one off gig but they were playing the same night as the Champions League Final and I took a gamble that they would play again at some point but I might never see Liverpool in a CL Final again. The gamble paid off tonight.

I'm 36 years old, my body hurts right now, my throat is sore and my ears are still ringing but it doesnt matter because I had an amazing night. It was like being 25 again. I spent the whole gig in and around the front, dancing, moshing, singing and going nuts.

It really felt like a gig where everyone was just letting it all go after all the shit we've been through the last few years. Here we al were with one of our favourite bands finally back together with a new album and tour after being apart for nigh on a decade and everyone there just let it all out and went nuts. It all just felt electric.

The front man calling the Tories cunts and everyone singing "fuck the Tories" was just the cherry on top too 😄

I went to back to back gigs this week, both of which were fantastic. 

On Tuesday it was Let’s Eat Grandma at Thekla in Bristol - incredibly intimate venue of just a few hundred people, and just an amazing amount of fun. Wednesday was Angel Olsen at the Bath Forum, who is probably my favourite current artist. 

Bristol has some fantastic artists coming at the moment - I have tickets for Julia Jacklin, Weyes Blood and Dry Cleaning between now and February. (Clearly I like female voiced alternative acts!). 

Two? How about this run over last weekend-and-a-bit:

Friday: Sinead O’Brien at the Bodega

Saturday: Midwife at the Chameleon Arts Club

Sunday: The Big Moon at Rough Trade

Monday: Midwife at the Bodega

Tuesday: Peaness at the Bodega

(all in Nottingham)

They were all excellent in very different ways. Sinead’s show is very energetic with fantastic post-punk/Krautrock style backing. Midwife was a real intimate affair, a solo performer with just electric guitar, vocals and effects for a soft, almost ambient but still melodic sound. The Big Moon show was packed and sweaty and just great fun. Honeyglaze were a revelation, absolutely brilliant, slightly jazz-inflected indie from a trio with what I can only describe as a “lead bassist.”And Peaness were possibly the best of the lot with a real party vibe show. They’re very funny as well as being great musicians with really catchy songs. I think they might be my new favourite group.

Clearly I also like alternative female acts!

On 20/10/2022 at 01:48, Stigweard said:

Tonight I went to see one of my favourites bands ever, Alexisonfire and it was incredible.

For me personally, it was genuinely a night I didn't think I'd ever see because they split up a few years after I got into them and I only ever got to see them do a short set at Leeds festival. They broke up in 2011 after some fallings out and finally got back together in 2019 with a few random singles. Then they released a new album this year.

I had tickets to see them in London in 2019 at a one off gig but they were playing the same night as the Champions League Final and I took a gamble that they would play again at some point but I might never see Liverpool in a CL Final again. The gamble paid off tonight.

I'm 36 years old, my body hurts right now, my throat is sore and my ears are still ringing but it doesnt matter because I had an amazing night. It was like being 25 again. I spent the whole gig in and around the front, dancing, moshing, singing and going nuts.

It really felt like a gig where everyone was just letting it all go after all the shit we've been through the last few years. Here we al were with one of our favourite bands finally back together with a new album and tour after being apart for nigh on a decade and everyone there just let it all out and went nuts. It all just felt electric.

The front man calling the Tories cunts and everyone singing "fuck the Tories" was just the cherry on top too 😄

Aaaaaaah I'm so jealous!

I saw them live back in 2007, and looking back at that gig it always felt like this moment I would kill to relive but knew I never could. The band broke up, the location got torn down. Then earlier this year the news of a new album and tour, I check the dates and instant happiness when I see they're playing Cologne, too. Only to then realise the date is Halloween, during which I'm on vacation and not even in the damn country 😭

4 hours ago, Illyria said:

Aaaaaaah I'm so jealous!

I saw them live back in 2007, and looking back at that gig it always felt like this moment I would kill to relive but knew I never could. The band broke up, the location got torn down. Then earlier this year the news of a new album and tour, I check the dates and instant happiness when I see they're playing Cologne, too. Only to then realise the date is Halloween, during which I'm on vacation and not even in the damn country 😭

That really sucks but I'm sure they'll be back one day soon, I dont get this impression this was the end at all. Fingers crossed that it does happen and you manage to get to see them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...