IGNORED

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

Illyria

11 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Went to see Chvrches last night at Brixton. They were great, and Robert Smith showed up 😊

😮

The downsides of living in the sticks (ok Scotland).  I was going to say that never happens here, but I first found out about Chvrches when Lauren came in stage at a Paramore gig…

Anyway, I was at the Edinburgh show. They unfortunately cancelled the Dundee one.

BD68BCD1-CEDC-4A44-9155-A240E63375B8.jpeg

A72F8E39-8D14-4726-A036-5FB7356A0E60.jpeg

B5DBCD07-D0AA-4F53-8507-0BDD86ADBC79.jpeg

49D911C7-0F3F-442A-82D8-BD3597AC5350.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2022 at 23:31, Corranga said:

😮

The downsides of living in the sticks (ok Scotland).  I was going to say that never happens here, but I first found out about Chvrches when Lauren came in stage at a Paramore gig…

Anyway, I was at the Edinburgh show. They unfortunately cancelled the Dundee one.

BD68BCD1-CEDC-4A44-9155-A240E63375B8.jpeg

A72F8E39-8D14-4726-A036-5FB7356A0E60.jpeg

B5DBCD07-D0AA-4F53-8507-0BDD86ADBC79.jpeg

49D911C7-0F3F-442A-82D8-BD3597AC5350.jpeg

I was there too, though clearly not as close to the stage as you were. 

Legally not allowed to due to the restraining order. 

• 4 weeks later...

Foals last night at London Olympia

I guess the (not out yet) "Dance" album will be OK but the new songs didn't exactly get the crowd going.

Yannis lost his mic pack during 'What Went Down' and so the band did a weird extended version while he sorted it out. Also couldn't hear Jack's Cymbals at all. His drums seemed set up for the new dance stuff and not their rock stuff.

But of course Mountain Gates / Two Steps Twice / Providence caused circle pit chaos which was a newish experience after 3 years of no gigs for me :D

3 silent cymbals / 5

Took my five year old son to see Andy and the Odd Socks at the Pavilion in Bournemouth. It was actually quite enjoyable and he had a great time. 

…yes, we did all wear odd socks.

On 04/05/2022 at 13:42, deerokus said:

Rammstein playing Hampden next year! Wow.

I was at the last gig they played in Scotland which was all the way back in 2005.

Looks like those tour dates are fake, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

Looks like those tour dates are fake, unfortunately. 

Seems like it. How do you fake tour dates? And why would someone do that?

Songkick had the date they go on sale and everything 🤔

Weird stuff.

It's very odd. I wondered too whether the leak was genuine and for some reason they just really don't want it out there yet. But that doesn't make sense either, really.

Meanwhile I can't wait for next month when I actually DO get to see them, for the first time ever in my 20+ year love of them (and probably the last). :omg:

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Azrael said:

Slamdunk tomorrow and Spanish Love Songs have cancelled 😭

Guess I can see Alexisonfire now instead 

As I don't know the first two but was a fan of Alexisonfire and saw them live back in 2006/2007, I think that's a win! Had no idea they were still touring, might be worth checking if they're coming to Germany anytime soon...

Update: OK now I'm so mad. They're actually coming to Cologne on Halloween, when I'll be on vacation in Morocco 😭

On the bright side, I didn't know they're also finally releasing a new album. So that's something at least.

I went to The Flaming Lips on Wednesday down in Bexhill - my 2nd time with them (from mid 2000's) - fucking awesome - just an incredible show all round, the amount of effort they put into their performance and visual aspects is just staggering - considering they aren't the biggest act on the planet - rolled up into a huge bout of positive energy. One of the best live acts you could possibly see, even if you don't know any of their songs.

My potato photo just doesn't do it justice. And yes Wayne spent just about the entire time in the bubble!

spacer.png

23 hours ago, Illyria said:

As I don't know the first two but was a fan of Alexisonfire and saw them live back in 2006/2007, I think that's a win! Had no idea they were still touring, might be worth checking if they're coming to Germany anytime soon...

Update: OK now I'm so mad. They're actually coming to Cologne on Halloween, when I'll be on vacation in Morocco 😭

On the bright side, I didn't know they're also finally releasing a new album. So that's something at least.

Alexisonfire were good. 

Was a good day. 

Managed to see: 

The Bronx

Counterparts

Silverstein 

Cancer Bats 

Electric Callboy 

Pennywise

The Interupters 

The Flatliners 

Alexisonfire 

Sum 41 

Sum 41 definitely the highlight, knackered and very sun burnt now though.

First concert tonight in a few years and finally got to see Lorde live. It was cold and wet and muddy and people were jumping on me and I loved every second of it. Got a bit emotional during Liability and felt this overwhelming joy and love for everyone alive during Teams. Pure magic.

L1.thumb.jpg.80946e3decdbdce4fffb683cf2d84ee9.jpgL4.thumb.jpg.a453c04005d63b9d7fa8fc7eb136ae3c.jpgL3.jpg.cb1125ab7063f2b4af9f8fcd18e2f368.jpgL2.jpg.e8e06b701b22ba078023f816dbf938d3.jpg 

Posting in advance as I’m still not entirely convinced it will happen, but on Thursday I should finally fulfil my last pre-Covid booking; at some point in 2019 I bought tickets to see The Killers in June 2020, which was postponed to some point in 2021, then postponed again because that date was a couple of weeks before mass-events became legal again. They have at least managed to start the tour this time!

The ‘Stones at Anfield last night. Seen them four times now, and think that’s the most energetic they’ve been since Wembley ‘99. Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter the standout performances.

Thought the only weak song in a two hour set was a cover of the Beatles’ I Wanna Be Your Man, which was ramshackle at best but, hell, it was the Stones covering the Beatles in Liverpool, so why not.

EDIT: didn’t know that the Stones actually released their own version of I Wanna Be Your Man first, a few weeks before the Beatles’ version appeared. But Jagger still attributed it to ‘four local lads’ last night, which is nice. Every day is a school day.

0A1217FC-2DB7-46E3-BF64-4C17216FA92D.jpeg

Saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Porridge Radio at Brixton on Wednesday night. That was a sweeeeet gig. I think I preferred Churches slightly, but that's because I know their music a bit better and I was much more stoned lol :D

Yesterday I went to my gig since covid, and it was a good one: saw Daði Freyr on tour, and his band (and the support artist, Mickey Callisto) were fantastic, and very good at playing with the crowd. Would definitely recommend.

VideoCapture_20220612-223748.thumb.jpg.4d436ea4462dadef7a45224385644997.jpg

Daði is truly a long boy.

On 13/04/2016 at 12:30, Illyria said:

What concerts have you been to, or what bands are on your list that you definitely still have to go see? What concerts are you sad you've missed?

I couldn't find a general topic on this, sorry if something like this already exists, then this can be merged of course.

I thought of this because I just saw that Rammstein are playing two solo shows in Berlin in July. I am super frustrated cause they are at the top of my list of bands I still have to see, but I already have tickets for ESL Cologne that weekend. WHYYYYYY. They are playing at the Waldbühne which is an amphitheatre and simply an amazing open air venue, been to a concert there before in 2007 so I am really gutted to be missing out on this.

Six years later and the countdown is on. 5 days until I see Rammstein, finally!!

Just hoping covid doesn't get in the way now.... *knocks on wood*

Just back from seeing Sinead O’Brien at Rough Trade Nottingham. She was amazing, and her music is so idiosyncratic while ticking so many of my boxes it feels like it’s been made just for me. Her records sound good but live she sounds fantastic.

Interpol at the Roundhouse last night.

Or not, they cancelled at an hours notice just as I got off the train in Camden. Someone in the band got sick I guess <_<

Spoke to some others by the station, one guy had flown over from Chicago! He looked unamused.

Deftones Kentish Town Forum Monday 13 06 22.

Took my son to his second ever gig (first being Neurosis, Yob and Godflesh) and his first one standing.

Was a bit worried it wouldn't be that great because of the line up issues and Deftones being slightly hit and miss live.

There was nothing to worry about. One of those brilliant fun gigs where everyone in the building was in good spirits. The band were tight and seemed to really enjoy every moment.

Spent a bit of time in the pit and noticed that I'm not 17 anymore.

Engine#9 gave me my energy back though.

Excellent night that has put me in a nice mood for the week.

Phoebe Bridgers tonight and had a blast. She's a great performer with real stage presence and some amazing songs. Sound quality wasn't great but it was in a tent with all the sides open so that was probably to be expected. And I might be getting a little old to be crammed into a sweaty space with thousands of other people! Had a great night though - but took some dreadful pictures!

1172863313_Screenshot2022-06-20at23_13_29.png.496fa7a9151c89b852be8fdb1c5e9a23.png1673555570_Screenshot2022-06-20at23_16_09.png.bf5d2651bbe5f0eb45960e3f496911d1.png1796473833_Screenshot2022-06-20at23_15_45.png.db4ad71f9e05c958ee0bf9bc2b7169fd.png

IMG_20220622_164849_610.thumb.jpg.00bc3346a53a57fddf74d093f598c31a.jpg

Rammstein on Sunday, finally. We stood quite far back, so I didn't get to see that much of the guys on stage (except when they performed Engel on the side stage). But it was worth it man. Sonne blew me away. I would have preferred more older songs over some of the stuff from the last couple of albums, but still enjoyed every second and would have loved to stay for a show twice as long 🥲