rllmuk
Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

The Midnight live were pretty bloody amazing. Crowd singing along, genuinely excellent atmosphere and hearing that saxamaphone live was just Carl Sagan.Gif 

Was at Lacuna Coil in Glasgow on Wednesday. Last time I saw them was 8 years back, similarly tiny venue, great atmosphere and great music. Cristina Scabbia’s voice is still amazing, and, they seem to excel at bringing along other woman with amazing voices, this time Infected Rain and Eluveitie, even if their male counterparts are a little shoutier than my taste. 
Eluveitie were incredible in ways I’d never have imagined 

Sir Paul McCartney to headline Glastonbury's 50th anniversary in 2020

:seanr: 

I think it was during the olympics that someone on here compared the crushing inevitability of him playing Hey Jude to the heat death of the universe. I lol'd

6 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

:seanr: 

I think it was during the olympics that someone on here mentioned compared the crushing inevitability of him playing Hey Jude to the heat death of the universe. I lol'd

Yeah not bothered about seeing him at all but plenty of other stuff to see! 

On 18/11/2019 at 16:55, Parappa said:

Yeah not bothered about seeing him at all but plenty of other stuff to see! 

Apparently it was meant to be Queen but May and Eavis couldn't come to terms over Eavis' support for the badger cull. *insert Settlist pun here*

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Just managed to secure pre sale tickets for Faith No More in Glasgow next year. Hyped!!

Whereas I've just failed to get tickets for Manchester.  Couldn't try yesterday as I'm not an O2 customer, fingers crossed it was a limited presale and I'll be able to get them tomorrow.  Not holding out much hope though tbh.  Hope these tout cunts get their tickets cancelled as per the T&Cs of the show:

image.thumb.png.573ec5ccd9b232894e00af9864af8ef4.png

• Empathy 1

Saw IDLES at Manchester Academy last night. It was a joyous bordering on spiritual experience. Samaritans and Danny Nedelko were the highlights - can't think of anything comparable to being in a room with thousands of people all shouting about loving immigrants and renouncing all the toxic masculine stereotypes that weigh us down. Beautiful.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Saw IDLES at Manchester Academy last night. It was a joyous bordering on spiritual experience. Samaritans and Danny Nedelko were the highlights - can't think of anything comparable to being in a room with thousands of people all shouting about loving immigrants and renouncing all the toxic masculine stereotypes that weigh us down. Beautiful.

I saw IDLES at the great escape in 2016 and they were great.

Haven't really checked up on them since, might have a listen again!

21 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Absolute vermin. Fingers crossed for you. 

We got tickets!!  Via a poster on the Tool Fans UK facebook group, my mate managed to find a secret link where there were still pre-sale tickets available.  So made up :D

• Upvote 1

I saw Jeff Mills at the Warehouse Project in Manchester last week. Unbelievable venue, and Jeff Mills absolutely incredible. Popped along to have a gander at 808 State too, and they really surprised me as they were fantastic live.

I've ended up with tickets for Hollywood Vampires in September. Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry from Aerosmith doing that LA Hard Rock stuff. Mostly covers which is pretty much what you want from a band like that. Seems like a fun night if nothing else, and in any case Primal Scream is the support. 

• Upvote 5

Was at Mark Lanegan tonight in Edinburgh. Was enjoying it but sadly he went off stage after an hour. Nothing was said other than the guitarist coming out saying he didn’t know if they were coming back out. 

Mrs Skondo was delighted when I said I had bought two tickets to see The Killers. She was slightly surprised/perplexed when I suggested she find someone to take with her. Not a chance I'm going.

Just back from seeing my last gig of the year. Lauren Ruth Ward at the Running Horse in Nottingham. She was stunning.

I’ve seen loads of great gigs this year but ones like this are my absolute favourite. A stupidly talented but virtually unknown artist playing in a tiny room to an appreciative audience. Who don’t talk to each other over the songs! It’s my idea of heaven.

I've got tickets for Cat Empire and Dubioza Kolektiv booked for early next year. Both great bands that you can really dance to. Sadly and stupidly missed out on Chemical Brothers and they have no dates yet for next year

But I'd love to go to more that aren't 40 quid a pop. Anything that you can have a good stomp to, I particularly like brass, gypsy, jazz or Celtic inspired punk and rock.

I'm guessing that New Cross is a good shout

@emerald fox and everyone else - if you haven't already, and you listen to music digitally, use songkick.com (website, app or both) to track who you listen to on your player/streaming service, and it will tell you every time anyone you've ever listened to announces a show near you. It's brilliant.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

@emerald fox and everyone else - if you haven't already, and you listen to music digitally, use songkick.com (website, app or both) to track who you listen to on your player/streaming service, and it will tell you every time anyone you've ever listened to announces a show near you. It's brilliant.

That's great, thank you.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Darren said:

I like the sound of this!  Defo sorting it out when I get home later :)

• Upvote 1

It looks like we're going to see Frank Turner and Dropkick Murphys next year somewhere in Europe as they're touring together. So that's no 40 quid tickets out the window ha but it's two acts we want to see and we'll make a trip out of it

Went to my first gig of the year last night - The Big Moon album launch at Rough Trade Nottingham. They were great as is their new album - it's a bigger, lusher sound than the pure indie guitar based stuff of their first album, but they're good enough musicians to be able to pull it off live. Lots of instrument swapping, all four of them sing so there are lots of harmonies, and during one song there was even a trumpet solo from the drummer while keeping the beat going on bass drum and hi-hat, which is a first for any gig I've been to. They've set the bar high for everyone else I see this year.

012092A3-5EB5-4569-AE5F-F2BD8182CB91.thumb.jpeg.766964e5760b7a313124ddad813696fd.jpeg

• Upvote 1